Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » What happen to DTS without timecode?

Author Topic: What happen to DTS without timecode?
Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-21-2000 05:29 AM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello everyone.

Few days ago a discovered how DTS manage a reel without timecode in a DTS encoded film.
Let me explain.
After a reel change, my sound reader didn't read the new timecode. Ok, the problem is my reader and not the film but what happened was like the new reel doesn't have timecode, right?

Well, the DTS unit go forward with the end of the previuos reel. I heard 1 or 2 seconds of sound, then nothing and... BEEP!

After that the unit drop in SR.D.

Why the unit doesn't drop in SR before the mute and the BEEP???

This is the same also with newest unit? I have a 7 years old DTS-6.

Bye
Antonio

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 09-21-2000 07:13 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The DTS system will continue for up to two minutes with no time code present as a failsafe for a tensioning problem in the reader

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-21-2000 03:09 PM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gordon,

two seconds I suppose... I know 4.5 seconds. However, I know why this happened, and I think that this is one of the best point of the DTS system.

But let imagine that your DTS film, for a lab mistake, has a reel without DTS timecode or just the start of the reel without timecode.

It is friday and labs can't provide you a new reel until monday.

Do you prefer to project the film in SR/DD or have the film in DTS with a second of mute and a loud BEEP in the middle of the film?

Antonio

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-21-2000 04:00 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd run SRD if possible. Otherwise, it's analog time. This is yet another reason why prints NEED to be at theaters on Wednesdays.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 09-21-2000 06:55 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As I said the film willplay for about 2 minuets but since it has reached the end of the reel it will continue with that reels file until it gets to the sync beep unless it receives the TC for the next reel
run it in what ever format you want if there is a problem I never sugested you shouldn't you asked why it made a beep and that is why

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-22-2000 08:47 AM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gordon,

My english is not very good, I hope that you didn't understand my reply as a critic. If yes pls excuse me.

What I want to say with this topic is just: why at DTS doesn't cut the file before the sync beep and silence? In this way, if you have bad timecode in one or more reel, you will not have that "beep" in the middle of the show.

About the "two minutes": I know that DTS will continue playing digital sound without timcode for 4.5 seconds, not 2 minutes!!

Thanks to everyone for the replies!

Antonio

Karen Hultgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-22-2000 02:47 PM      Profile for Karen Hultgren   Author's Homepage   Email Karen Hultgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What you are hearing is normal if a change-over is not made in time or if you are running only one reel (in DTS).

Karen at DTS

Karen Hultgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-22-2000 02:50 PM      Profile for Karen Hultgren   Author's Homepage   Email Karen Hultgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The drop=out time was increased from 2 to 4 seconds. That was done in TCR software (U14 on the D422 board) about a year ago.

Karen at DTS

Tom Kroening
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-23-2000 06:16 PM      Profile for Tom Kroening   Email Tom Kroening   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad, you might have read this but that exhibitor guide says prints are shipped for delivery on Thursdays for "security" reasons. Although we got Urban Legend 2 on Wednesday... I think its sony, right? Which means its TES. Must be a fluke.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: