Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Strong AP3 Question

Author Topic: Strong AP3 Question
Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-18-2000 09:41 AM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, how do you fix one of these brains? The peg that holds the brain in posistion in the platter broke off. I have the peg, and it is a clean break, almost as if it had been glued in there. So how do I fix it? Can I use superglue, or does this part have to conduct electricity? Or am I screwed and will have to settle for being a brain short?
*looks at Pat*

|  IP: Logged

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-18-2000 10:49 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Drill the broken piece and pull it out with an "easy-out". A taper pin or a roll pin could probably replace it.

Pat Moore
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-18-2000 12:44 PM      Profile for Pat Moore   Email Pat Moore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Boy, those brain shorts are the... well, they're not good.

Ken's got the right approach here, I think. I'm a little surprised that little stud broke. A roll pin or something like that should work fine, even if the fit of the plate is a touch loose. Can't be too loose, though, because that's what makes the plug and socket line-up properly.

Nope, no electricity thru that part, it's just a mechanical locator so the brain faces the right way when you plug it in.

Robb Johnston
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-18-2000 10:02 PM      Profile for Robb Johnston   Author's Homepage   Email Robb Johnston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the other repairs are not sufficient, it is easy to replace the stem assembly. it is held on by just 2 allen screws and the wiring into the box is simple as well. Looking at the terminals the Red wire is to the left and the blue wire to the right.

Can you tell that I had to replace alot of these when I got to my present location.

RJ

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-18-2000 10:43 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But you see, your fix requires the spending of money, which is something you can't do easily when your in Chapter 11.

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-18-2000 11:28 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wait a minute...
Pat, is the stem from the A3 interchangilbe with the AP3? They look the same and I have a couple of spare A3 brains laying around.

Pat Moore
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-19-2000 06:10 AM      Profile for Pat Moore   Email Pat Moore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dustin -- uh... not sure off the top of my head. If they are both plug-in type payouts, yes they are the same.

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-19-2000 07:35 AM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, thanks Pat.

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-19-2000 01:49 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It worked. Now that's what I call backwards compatibility!! Thanks for all your help guys.

Pat Moore
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-19-2000 07:07 PM      Profile for Pat Moore   Email Pat Moore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No problemo. Glad I guessed correctly...

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: