Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » 35mm Film in Ads, Posters and Movies

Author Topic: 35mm Film in Ads, Posters and Movies
David Kilderry
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-17-2000 03:23 AM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage   Email David Kilderry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone else seen the posters for the film "Timecode"? It has a 35mm frame broken up into four images, the entire feature is like this.

What is of interest is the accurate depiction of the 35mm frame including optical, DTS, Dolby Digital and SDDS tracks.

With the start of the Olympics here, there is a new Nike ad that has athletes, including Cathy Freeman moving around on a frame of 35mm also. The frame looks great and it even has a Dolby digital track with double D logo able to be seen, what it misses though is any optical track! The art director probably thought it got in the way!

Compare these two examples to the crummy example of film on the "8mm" poster, it looked nothing like standard 8mm or Super 8mm.

An advertisement done a few years ago for Cadbury Chocolate showed a Cinemeccanica Vic 8 in a projection room.....in mirror reverse! Another example of the "look" being just right.

Can anyone else think of examples of filme or projection rooms depicted in ads, films or TV shows, does it ever look real?

|  IP: Logged

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 09-17-2000 03:46 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What about the Lindt Chocolate commercial from the early nineties which was filmed at the Cremorne Orpheum? For those of you who don't know it...

It starts with a shot of the screen with a girl eating Lindt chocolates. It then cuts to a tracking shot of the projectionist through the port glass and he is drooling. He wants a chocolate. He checks the projector (not the real Orpheum Century JJ's, but Kalees) and then runs down to the concession stand and eats some Lindt chocolate.

It then cuts back to the screen and the image is melting on screen and the sound is getting slower as the projector melts the film. He races back upstairs and presses a button and opens the dowser (you all know that's how you get a melted film back on screen, right?) All is ok and the girl is again eating her chocolate. He takes another look at the projector and races out the door again. It's pretty good.

As some of you already know, I worked at the Orpheum for a good many years. This ad had been on for about one year but had finished about six months before this next bit happened...

The chief of the time was running a matinee of 'Dances With Wolves' one Sunday and was down in the concession stand having a drink and a chat, when out comes a patron...

Patron: Hello

Chief Projectionist: Hello

Patron: Do you work here?

Chief Projectionist (who had a 'manner' about him), was standing behind the counter and was dressed in his usual grey overalls thought this was a pretty stupid question so said (duh):Yes.

The patron moved closer to him and looked him in the eyes closely and simply said...

Patron: Lindt Chocolates.

It took about two or three seconds for the penny to drop and his face went white. He then ran upstairs to find he was off screen with Kevin Costner and lots of buffalos all over the booth floor.

Clever patron, I say.

----------------------

Regarding that Nike ad...did you notice the SRD track is on both sides of the film? 12 track, perhaps?

Dave Bird
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-17-2000 10:47 AM      Profile for Dave Bird   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Bird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wanted to mention that. It seems the "cool" thing now to see images of film, even black and white with scratches and splices. So my question is what in heck they pursue this false dream of perfection with digital?
They'll only wreck it with the new style of crappy cinematography (the whole montage style of stupid jiggling camera angles) anyway. And you show me a digi-projector still running smoothly after 40 years like mine do, never happen.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 09-19-2000 01:59 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The best one is the advertising billboard background on the AMC (American Movie Classics) channel. It's several frames of 16mm film in motion, but we're looking through it backwards. The sprocket holes should be on the left, for normal viewing.

There was a commercial on TV recently, I don't think it showed a booth, or even had anything to do with movies, but there was a sound effect that was obviously sourced from a Century R-6 motor being started. I know it, because that sound is burned into my memory, from years of hearing it constantly. "Dwoooheeeeeeeeee"

------------------
Better Projection Pays!

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 09-19-2000 03:42 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thing is that film in the Nike commercial had SR-D tracks down BOTH sides of the film!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: