Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » SHOW EAST

Author Topic: SHOW EAST
Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 09-16-2000 02:04 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Who is going to showeast this year and what hotel/motels are still available close to the convention?

|  IP: Logged

Wayne Cope
Film Handler

- posted 09-18-2000 05:15 AM      Profile for Wayne Cope   Email Wayne Cope   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going. I just live 100 miles north of Orlando.

I'll be staying with my folks, so I'm not very familiar with area accomodations. I do note from Motel 6's web site that the International Drive branch, which isn't too far away, will be charging $40 per night and seems to have vacancies. Within walking distance of the conference, the room prices are probably pretty steep. I believe that's the luxury hotel district.

Please note the Showeast thread in "Ground Level" forum.

This is the first time I've gone, so if any veterans have advice on getting the most out of the show, I'm all ears.

(Incidentally, I find a lot of Orlando disgustingly plastic, but there are nice things there if one puts in the time to find them. If you're also the type that likes pleasant places to walk and eat, rather than the stuffiness of luxury hotels, or generic tourist traps, then I recommend going to Winter Park, a town in the Orlando metro area. Some places there are terribly expensive but others are cheap and still good quality. That's only an option if you want to get away for a few hours. Orlando traffic is not to be underestimated.

If you're looking for an incredible show (without film) and are willing to spend a lot of money, I think the Cirque du Soleil show is mindblowing. The $72 price is a little mindblowing, but the show is much more mindblowing. And I almost never shell out for expensive things. Cirque du Soleil is adjacent to the AMC Pleasure Island 24 cinema where our screenings will be.)

URL: http://www.showeast.com/

John T. Mellor
Film Handler

- posted 09-18-2000 08:32 PM      Profile for John T. Mellor   Email John T. Mellor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My Wife and I are Going we are staying at a condo west of Disney. Try all the web sites for all of the diferent motels you should be able to find some at reasonable rates ,it all depends on how close you want to be
a little west of Disney has quite a lot of motels.
WE were going on vacation and wound up at Orlando , don't know how that happened,
. We will be looking for anyone who wants to talk and enjoy the show , we were at the last two at A.C.

Hope to see some of you there ,
John

Tom Kroening
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-19-2000 02:12 AM      Profile for Tom Kroening   Email Tom Kroening   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How much is admision? I live about 2 hours from orlando and would love to go.

Wayne Cope
Film Handler

- posted 09-19-2000 11:51 PM      Profile for Wayne Cope   Email Wayne Cope   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Call the Showeast people to be sure but below are the prices I got back in July. I used the phone number that's on the "Floor Plan" page of their web site. They were very nice and helpful.

Access to everything if registering in advance: $700
Ditto, at the door: $800
Access to the floor show only and only for one day (of your choice): $150
Access to all events for only one day (of your choice): $300
(I'm not sure when the advance registration price ends. Hope I don't find out the hard way.)

Note that they are saying the show is from the 11th thru the 14th. However, they are having an international part of the show, with other interesting stuff, on the 10th, with some overlap on the 11th. I was told the full price admission will get one into all of this.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: