Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » DTS card inside

Author Topic: DTS card inside
Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-13-2000 06:02 PM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello,

I have an old DTS 6. Inside I found a Intel 386 with all cards in ISA slot.
I read on this forum that new DTS-6D has Pentium motherboard.
I wonder if the cards (sound and SCSI controllers) are in ISA or PCI format.

Bye,
Antonio

|  IP: Logged

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 09-13-2000 06:48 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ALL of the DTS-6D's I have seen are i486SX-25 or 33 based ISA systems.

Aaron

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 09-13-2000 06:49 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually the lastest I looked wasa 486 and it was all ISA

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-14-2000 06:47 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many, if not most of the original Jurassic Park units were 386 based mommie boards. They are all ISA slots even on the new units. The system does not require much computing power and only has 4 meg of ram.
Mark

Dave Cutler
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-14-2000 09:12 AM      Profile for Dave Cutler   Email Dave Cutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think I might have made the post about a pentium board in a DTS processor. This is just something I assume DTS will have to do eventually when it becomes unecnomical to have 486 boards manufacturered for them. To date I have not seen a pentium in a DTS processor, only 386, 486SX and 486DX's. All ISA bus of course, as 486 does not support PCI.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 09-14-2000 10:26 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
486 doesn't support PCI?!?! That's news to me. I have a 486DX4-100 machine at home with both PCI and ISA slots.

There's probably not a lot of reason for DTS to bother redesigning their cards for PCI architectures; brand-new motherboards still have ISA slots (and probably will for a while longer) and designing new cards risks serious compatability issues with existing equipment.

Dave Cutler
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-14-2000 10:36 AM      Profile for Dave Cutler   Email Dave Cutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, Scott's right, I just looked it up. PCI came along around the end of the 486's reign as king.

Was it really only 7 years ago that I was all excited about my brand new 486 25MHz computer?

Jason Burroughs
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-14-2000 10:57 AM      Profile for Jason Burroughs   Email Jason Burroughs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't see Intel halting manufacture of the 486 chip anytime soon, NASA just now finally got some of them into space 486 was acutally quite a powerful processor for what it is. The bus shouldn't really matter to the processor as long as the bridges can handle it, ie PCI bridge ect, however you would need a 486 to use any 32bit bus system, from what I remember the 386 can only handle 16bit. but I could be wrong. I'm supprised that DTS dosent use an alternative to the Intel chip however, AMD and Cyrix (now VIA) make pretty reliable 486clone processors

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 09-14-2000 11:13 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, 386 machines can handle 32 bit busses as well...I have never seen a PCI-bus 386 machine, but I do have an oddball EISA-bus 386 machine; it's currently my web/mail/ftp/dns server (and one of film-tech's DNS servers!).

Dave Cutler
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-14-2000 11:18 AM      Profile for Dave Cutler   Email Dave Cutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am only speculating on this, but...

I would think DTS got setup with Intel back when DTS was just getting started, and now have a good contract/relationship with them, so they don't use other chips. There were other companies around back then, but really Intel was running the market. Not like today where there are several companies that make chips that rival the Intel chips.

Seems like a logical reason to me.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: