Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » How exact does the SR-D cable need to be?

Author Topic: How exact does the SR-D cable need to be?
John Walsh
Film God

- posted 09-13-2000 10:55 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know that multiple-shielded cable that goes from the Dolby digital soundhead to the SR-D box in the rack... How exact does the length have to be? Could I get away with increasing it by about 1.5 inches?

I want to cut it, and splice in a DB25 connector. The crimp terminals will add about 1.5 inches to the overall length.

|  IP: Logged

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 09-13-2000 12:47 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It should work fine, provided that no wires get crossed. I have cut the SRD cables shorter for some installations with no problems, and I know that custom (usually longer than the stock cable) lengths are available from Dolby, so you should be fine... Just make sure that the DB25 connectors lock in in some way so that they can't accidentally disconnect while in operation, as I don't believe its good to run the reader or DA20 with the cable disconnected...

Aaron

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 09-13-2000 01:32 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wouldn't it be easier just to buy or make a straight-through cable with a DB-25 mail end on one end and a female end on the other?

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 09-13-2000 03:02 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have run the SR*D cable as long as 100' (some electrician that I'm sure is real proud of himself ran the conduit by way of China!). No problems and low error rates. There is a physical limit though when the signal will drop of too much but you are talking about inches. I would prefer to keep the cable as splice free as possible though.

Steve

------------------
"Old projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-13-2000 03:26 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't cut it. Just put an extension on. I've ran them 55 feet with no problems, but as Steve pointed out before me even 100 feet will work fine.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 09-13-2000 04:42 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
FYI: I have no idea how closely Dolby follows the standards for serial communications in computer equipment, but the RS-232 spec defines a length limit of 75 feet at 9600 bps.

That's probably a pretty conservative estimate...I've run many serial lines (mostly console cables for Sun servers) for well over 100 feet with no problems...

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 09-13-2000 06:51 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It isnot serrial but is video data
If you splice it with a extension I would recomend a shielded connector

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 09-13-2000 09:02 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I just want to cut the existing cable, and splice in a DB25 male/female. I have a nice shielded AMP connector picked out, and hand-operated spring-loaded clips to hold it in.

It's for a "roll-around" DD rack idea we're playing with.

You know where the cable comes out of a CAT. 700? Well, we are also thinking of making a replacement panel that has the same mounting screws holes, but has a DB25 connector (instead of the KO hole.)

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: