Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » (What) Do you use (for) EX/ES decoding ?

Author Topic: (What) Do you use (for) EX/ES decoding ?
Nic Dreier
Film Handler

- posted 09-11-2000 04:46 AM      Profile for Nic Dreier   Email Nic Dreier   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi there,

I'm wondering how many of you are actually working with a EX/ES installation in their theaters. Well here in Europe there are many chains who upgraded the big houses to EX/ES capability. If you're working with it, what kind of Decoder did you install (Dolby SA10, DTS ES, or the Smart Circle Surround), and what do you think of their performance ?

Best Regards

Nic

|  IP: Logged

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 09-11-2000 05:15 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like mine (Panalogic) a lot more if there was actually anything with ES on the recording. While I'm waiting (!) I've switched it to bypass as a personal protest.

Michael Pace
Film Handler

- posted 09-11-2000 06:45 AM      Profile for Michael Pace   Email Michael Pace   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We also use the Panalogic EX decoders. They were installed in our two large auditoriums (313 and 314 seats) for Star Wars - PHANTOM MENACE. We actually finished the second auditoriun 10 minutes before show time at midnight. They have not had much of an outing since then as I do not recall any prints having EX capability up our way.

Its nearly Olympics time in Sydney - Good luck, John.

Regards,

Michael.

Paul Cunningham
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-11-2000 08:21 AM      Profile for Paul Cunningham   Email Paul Cunningham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have got two Dolby SA10's, there have been no problems with them, the only thing I dont like is having to turn them to enable/disable at the appropriate times. I wish they could do that themselves when they sensed an EX track. We have had them since EP1.

I also have to say (I could be calling the wrath of the Dolby god on myself here) that I cant really notice any stunning difference with EX and that my boss could probably have spent the money more wisely elsewhere. And NO I'm not deaf!

Paul

Neil Di Scala
Film Handler

- posted 09-11-2000 09:18 AM      Profile for Neil Di Scala   Email Neil Di Scala   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, they had all of these boxes for the CP45, and they needed a new product...

I had to turn off all the channels except the rear ex and have the staff sit in the theatre with both the ex on and off for the same trailer before they would even believe me that it was actually doing something.

A lot of new technologies take a while to really bloom. If they had a ceiling speaker, so the 'flyover' effect went over you instead of around you it would be more impressive. When the sound mixers have more practice with it, it may be more impressive.

In the meantime, you have a spare amp in the rack, a real plus.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 09-11-2000 10:41 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, I agree with everything you said- exactly the way you said it. I wish you lived next door to me! We'd get along great.

Stephen Jones
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-11-2000 08:16 PM      Profile for Stephen Jones   Email Stephen Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We use 2 panalogic EX decoder's in our 2 largest cinemas.I wish there were more film's encoded with EX.I have only heard a couple in recent months.Perhaps theatres have wasted thier money installing EX who knows.When we do get a EX encoded print the panalogic works very well and it sounds good in the cinema more than I can say for our Ultra Stereo JSX1000 processors but thats another story.Hey Paul it was good to meet you the other day, I'll try to get up to see your set up soon.
Stephen.

------------------

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 09-11-2000 08:19 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The three EX decoders I have installed were all Smart CS-EX units (Dolby was back-ordered for a couple months for new SA-10s and we couldn't wait (plus the Smart was about $900 less expensive and we needed them *NOW* (the week before Episode I opened) so we went with Smart.)

Installation wasnt too difficult, although the install docs were a little bit spotty on some details, and there was a revision to the docs that was 2 pages and i only had one of the two pages, yada yada...

From all I can tell, the CS-EX sounds fine...
Just gotta have more EX-encoded films

Aaron

Paul Cunningham
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-12-2000 04:17 PM      Profile for Paul Cunningham   Email Paul Cunningham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John Walsh

I do live next door to you - in the Milky Way - that is. I'll drop you an email one day.

Stephen

Thanks for showing me around, I had a really great day, I look forward to giving you the tour in return.

Paul

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: