Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » What is a good plater sytem to use with a small footprint (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: What is a good plater sytem to use with a small footprint
Alan Gouger
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-06-2000 10:36 PM      Profile for Alan Gouger   Author's Homepage   Email Alan Gouger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I need a plater system with a small footprint.
What do you recommend. Im looking for an option to run a full feature using one projector in a small booth.

Thanks!

|  IP: Logged

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-06-2000 10:50 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A Strong/Potts with the special order 48" decks.

Doug Fields
Film Handler

- posted 09-06-2000 11:10 PM      Profile for Doug Fields   Email Doug Fields   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Ken here. I have a Strong/Potts platters in all 4 theaters. I love them. They tend to get a little noisy at times, but the newer ones we have, 1999 - present, are great. Very quiet, smooth, and make up very tight. That matters to me as we move prints on a whim in this place. And oh, by the way, I have the special order feet in all theaters. As a matter of fact, the platters take up more space than the footprint does. Good luck.

Doug Fields

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 09-06-2000 11:24 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Christie MW3 Miniwind (the newer version that is exactly like a full-size AW3 inside, *NOT* the older ones with all the components on a single 'motherboard' which Christie no longer supports) comes highly recommended, although you are limited to 2:35 running times...and its SMALL....almost to the point of 'cute'

Aaron

David Kilderry
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-07-2000 04:59 AM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage   Email David Kilderry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
An Eprad MUT takes up half the footprint of any platter!

David

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 09-07-2000 10:43 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Shhh, David! They might start making those things again! You will scare away every tech within 50 miles, and wipe out the light bulb inventory of the theater in one shot!

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 09-07-2000 12:21 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually they made a wall mut as well that had a 0 footprint. You could also bring back Swords
Tecco also makes a small platter

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-07-2000 03:33 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have installed quite a few Strong/Potts 48" platter systems. They always run nicely. Just installed 6 standard size Potts in a new 6 plex here in Greensburg Indiana. No problems at all with them right out of the box.
Mark

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 09-08-2000 12:19 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I second the Strong/Potts.

I like the way they run. They are pretty easy on film (IMHO) and they are easy to fix/work on 'cuz they were designed from parts from common sources. You can go to a vacuum cleaner shop or an auto parts store and get a lot of things for them.

The only two "cons" are that they don't hold a lot of film (Just make an intermission if it's over 2:45) and you have to raise and lock the yo-yo inorder to thread. (if you don't get the ones with the "electronic brains".)

Dave Cutler
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-08-2000 02:31 PM      Profile for Dave Cutler   Email Dave Cutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of the 'eletronic brains,' they suck. They constantly need to be re-calibrated and often times need to be re-programed. Re-programing requires a laptop with a special adapter plug. Even if it does accept the re-programming the brain might lose it's programming in the middle of a show and throw a print. It was a very common occurance at the 24-plex I worked at. I am speaking of the DMC platters, I don't know if the SCMC are better.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 09-08-2000 04:39 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just assumed that we were talking about the "old style" Potts with the micro-switch brains. They're like Buddy Lee!

Dave Cutler
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-08-2000 05:42 PM      Profile for Dave Cutler   Email Dave Cutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have used the older Strong/Potts as well, and I like them much better. You do have to raise the yo-yo and lock it in place, but I never minded. With Christie's you have to move the take-up assembly, with Speco you have to move the take-up roller. It's just one of the things that had to been done, and I never minded. I had better reliability with the old microswitches, they rarely go bad, and they are a snap (and cheap) to replace when they do. I love the older Stong platters.

If you are unfortunate enough to have the Strong DMC and the brain 'dies,' you have to replace it, and the upgrade to SCMC is about $350 per brain. Let's see, that $350 times 2 brains per platter system times 24 systems. That's $16,800 just to upgrade the brains! There is also an upgrade for the yo-yo as well, but I don't know the cost.

Sometimes I think that things are getting too automated. I mean, do you really need the autoswitching on the new Strong platters. Is it that hard to raise the yo-yo and switch between payout, rewind, and makeup on the older Strong platters. Sometimes simpilar is better.

Pat Moore
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-08-2000 07:33 PM      Profile for Pat Moore   Email Pat Moore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave; The upgrade from DMC to SCDC Payout heads isn't quite so bad. The SCDC Card and new sensor mask go onto the same plate as the DMC, and the List Price for both is around $220. Most dealers discount and we'll always work with situations as they come up.

I've not had that many problems with the DMC. The main problem seems to be with the payout assembly needing recalibration -- an easy enough process but a problem if you end up doing it too often. I've found that changing the payouts between platters seems to make that happen more often. What happens is that the head sometimes tries to recalibrate itself when it's plugged-in (powered up). In theatres where that's occurring, I ask the operators to be sure and keep the payout arm in the OFF position when they plug it in. That seems to correct most of the problems of lost calibration.

The SCDC versions of the platter addressed that -- each time it's powered up the card recalibrates. It's essentially like a cruise control on a car -- it tries to keep the payout arm in the center of its travel, throttling up or down (within limits) as required.

Both the SCDC and DMC versions have software that can be upgraded using a laptop.

You're right, though -- sometimes simple is nice and the microswitch is that. Yet, a smooth running linear control is awfully good too.

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-13-2000 03:58 AM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not sure if they're still available but I seem to recall Cinemeccanica(pause for North American abuse to die down) made a small foot print 3 deck that had platters that would take 3 hours instead of standard 4.

Wayne Cope
Film Handler

- posted 09-13-2000 10:20 AM      Profile for Wayne Cope   Email Wayne Cope   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David's post on the make-up table reminds me: I have a micro-size booth with a full-size platter. The make-up table (which is not overly large) is almost the last straw! If you haven't already, give some thought to space required for make-up and break-down, and get MUT dimensions for the platters you're thinking of. Otherwise, your film handlers will need an exceptional sense of humor to work that booth!

If I had more time on my hands, I'd take my MUT apart and bolt the components separately on arms attached to the wall. That's how tight it is in our booth!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: