Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Regal Cinemas files bankruptcy. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Regal Cinemas files bankruptcy.
Aaron Flack
Film Handler

- posted 08-20-2000 08:35 PM      Profile for Aaron Flack   Email Aaron Flack   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last week my manager told me that Regal Cinemas, which is the only other theater chain in Chattanooga, has filed bankruptcy. I checked this forum every day to learn more but no one has mentioned it. Doesn't anyone out there work for Regal? Or did I hear wrong? Regal is mainly based in the south and unfortunately there aren't that many of you who work in the south. Maybe that's why there aren't many quality theaters around here. Besides Atlanta, I think Carmike(my employer) and Regal are the only choice you have in the southeast, especially here in Tennessee. Now they are both bankrupt! What is going to happen? There is supposed to be a new theater being built in certain area of Chattanooga where they just shut down a Carmike 6-plex. Who's going to build it. Regal and Carmike own the southeast.

|  IP: Logged

Tom Kroening
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-20-2000 11:33 PM      Profile for Tom Kroening   Email Tom Kroening   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I assure you, Regal has not filed for bankruptcy. As for which theatres are in the southeast, mainly regal, cinemark, carmike, AMC, UA, ect... just like in everywhere else.

Kevin Crawford
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-21-2000 01:52 AM      Profile for Kevin Crawford   Email Kevin Crawford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They may not have filed bankruptcy yet, but it will probably happen. They over extended too much too fast on nothing but credit. They have a few out west. One opened a few months ago, and from what I heard one of the regional chains (Century) was invited to look it over to buy it. It was suppose to have 3 snack bars, and it was economized down to 1. There are areas of the theatre that look like they were intended to be snack bars. Does not sound good, if they cut back on stuff that far into construction.

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-21-2000 08:17 AM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You mentioned "areas in the theatre that looked like they were intended to be snack bars". The Regal "Hollywood 27" (27 screens !!)in Nashville has multiple snack bars I've never seen open in three years!!

Kevin Crawford
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-21-2000 01:41 PM      Profile for Kevin Crawford   Email Kevin Crawford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I forgot to mention that this is a 20 plex plus IMAX. The concessions counter is only 8 stations. Does not seem like alot of stations for that many screens.

Steve Anderson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-21-2000 02:22 PM      Profile for Steve Anderson   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I worked at the Regal 27 the first year and a half and they only opened the other 3 snack bars during the first week and then shut them down. Very poor management has let this theater run down really fast!

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-21-2000 03:05 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I understand Regal filed last Friday at 5pm.

Beware of the Cinemark rumor...it's looking like Lee Roy and his boys will be doing the same in the next couple of weeks.

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-21-2000 03:58 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some of you have mentioned the Hollywood 27 in Nashville. Someone told me that this was originally a Cobb project and that Regal took it over. If so, do all of the screens at Hollywood 27 have adjustable masking? Cobb tended to put adjustable masking only on their largest screens. All others tended to be 1.85:1 only. I've never been to the Hollywood 27 to see a movie, so I've never had time to check the place out.

Michael Cunningham
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-21-2000 10:21 PM      Profile for Michael Cunningham   Email Michael Cunningham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From an actual Regal employee, here are the known relevant facts. These are taken from a New York Times article from last week, by the way. Regal currently has 1.8 billion, yes BILLION, dollars of debt. One of two investment firms that hold a large (500 Million) stake of Regal's stock is looking to write off their investment. I can't remember their name off the top of my head, but the firm that hasn't spoken yet is KKR investments. Regal also reports losses this quarter that are quadruple last year's for this time. Bankruptcy has not been declared as yet, but it is possible (my thoughts). According to the article, the only plan mentioned by Regal is to cut new theatre construction next year to 2 and to sell off 115 currently operating theatres, yes, one hundred and fifteen. I'm guessing, hoping not, that it will soon be time to look for new employment, sigh.

-Mike

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 08-22-2000 08:28 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
2 weeks ago moodies derated regal to junk bond status and said in sept they probably wouldn't meet a bond payment requiring them to proceed into chapter 11?
anones gues is good at this time

Mark Wright
Film Handler

- posted 08-22-2000 04:24 PM      Profile for Mark Wright   Email Mark Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have worked at Hollywood 27 since it opened, and our masking will move out and in but not up and down. I know nothing about regal going bankrupt but have heard the word reconstruction used a few times, sounds like something is rotten it knoxville. You never know with theaters what they are going to do. I have a moto since i have worked in theaters for the past 10years, "Do not believe it untill you see it."

Mike Beerbower
Film Handler

- posted 08-22-2000 08:44 PM      Profile for Mike Beerbower   Email Mike Beerbower   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This may or may not mean anything, but I have heard that Regal tried to back out of their contract to build a new theater here in Erie, PA, and was unable to get out. Now they're stuck building this theater that they apparently don't want.
Brad: What Cinemark rumor? The Tinseltown 17 I work at is a little down, but still going strong. There have been budget cuts recently, but my understanding was that they were simply the result of a bad summer. Is Cinemark USA in trouble?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-22-2000 11:30 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Cinemark isn't exactly flourishing. Your theater may be doing well, but they've got lots of bills to pay. Give it a month and see what happens. It's just a rumor at this point, but from a pretty reliable source.

Aaron Flack
Film Handler

- posted 08-22-2000 11:45 PM      Profile for Aaron Flack   Email Aaron Flack   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think that Regal wants to try something just because of Carmike's situation. They don't want to make the same mistake, but they probably already have. I still hope they or some other chain builds this new theater in town. I'd like it to be a different chain, rumors are it could be AMC. That wouldn't be much improvement though considering all the criticism about the major chains.

BTW, I don't think there are any Cinemark, AMC, or United Artists theaters in TN. I've read that there's one General Cinema in Memphis, but it's a long shot for them to come here, even though I'd like them to based on the good things you all have said about them. We used to have a theater run by UA but Regal bought it out two years after it had opened, since then it's gone down. I wish Tennessee had more chains, but Carmike and Regal want to rule this state for some reason. Even Nashville only has Carmike and Regal(from what I've read, correct me if I'm wrong).

Kevin Crawford
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-23-2000 01:17 AM      Profile for Kevin Crawford   Email Kevin Crawford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't hold your breath for GCC to come into town.

First of all they only plan to build one more gigaplex in the next fiscal year. Nov '00 to Nov '01.

Secondly, they are concentrating on the North East. And trying to build theatres in inner cities, or places that nobody else can build in.

But with everyone else selling or closing a bunch of theatres, it is possible that they may buy some theatres. But if you are holding your breath, I would suggest that you make it a deeeeeeeeeeeeeep one.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: