Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Defective Dolby Digital print

Author Topic: Defective Dolby Digital print
Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-20-2000 02:49 PM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello everyone.
Few weeks ago I've show "Stuart Little" from Columbia. It had DD and DTS but I've never received the cds.
The problem was that during the entire movie the surrounds speakers remained completely mute except for a voice echo during boats run.
My surround system were ok, I can saw on CP500 that the RS and LS channels were not working. I've request many and many times the DTS disks hoping that DTS soundtrack can have the surround working but It seems that Columbia didn't have that CDs.
I didn't request a new copy of the film since I think that if a copy of film has DD in that way so all copies has to be like that... I suppose that DD works like DTS: each DTS CD is a copy of a master CD; if the soundtrack on master CD has a problem so all copies of that master will have that problem.
It is the same with DD or not? Next time Should I have to ask a replace or just make a compliant??

Thanks,

Antonio (sorry for syntax!)

|  IP: Logged

Ari Nordström
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-20-2000 03:04 PM      Profile for Ari Nordström   Email Ari Nordström   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The question is, was the film mixed that way? Were the surround channels supposed to be (more or less) mute?

Just because it says "Dolby Digital", it doesn't mean that all channels must be playing. It is, for example, entirely possible to have a Dolby Digital-encoded mono print. If Woody Allen ever releases a film with SRD, that's what you'll get.

But call Columbia and ask. They probably don't know but it's worth a try.

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-20-2000 03:54 PM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yes, you're right!
I start this topic since on widescreenreview.com I read this:
--
The Dolby® Digital 5.1-channel soundtrack is a fine production with remarkable fidelity, and will certainly entertain as an essential component of the film’s warm-hearted storytelling. The soundfield is generally balanced toward the screen, with surround activity predominated by the music. The multidimensional sound effects are spread across the screen and sparingly into the surrounds, resulting in a convincing holosonic experience. The music score, composed by Alan Silvestri, is an excellent recording, with an expansive presence generally oriented from the screen and some surround envelopment. Generally, the surrounds are subtle throughout, but the toy boat race in Chapter 16 is a wonderful exception, providing an aggressive, exciting soundfield experience from the music and the crowd. The dialogue production features very well-recorded voices, delivering remarkable clarity, and spatial integration is good, with just occasional ADR characteristics noticed. Low frequencies are predominated by the music and originate from the front channels, with occasional moderate activity in the .1 LFE. Stuart Little delivers an impressively produced soundtrack experience that will surely satisfy with its exemplary fidelity and engaging music score.
--
I'm talking about the italian copy of Stuart Little, not USA.
And I'm sure that surrounds were *completely" mute, not low.

Antonio

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 08-20-2000 03:57 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If your system works fine with other prints, than the problem is likely just the mix. I can't think of any possible failure mode of Dolby Digital which would cause one channel to drop out with some prints but not others.

In any case, having no sound in the surround channel is far preferable than having dialogue in the surrounds, as is common with misaligned or ill-maintained Dolby Stereo (analog optical) systems.

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-20-2000 04:16 PM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott: Yes, There were no problems with my CP500 and I'm sure that the problem was the mix.

Also: the description I've posted is about the DVD DD version.

Antonio

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 08-21-2000 01:42 AM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
if you ever receive a DTS print without discs, call DTS and they will get you a set to you very quickly.

Aaron

Kevin Crawford
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-21-2000 02:00 AM      Profile for Kevin Crawford   Email Kevin Crawford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Antonio, what is your error reading? I am just curious. I would have to agree with Scott though. I think that it is just the mix. Why they don't leave the sound effects alone, and just change the dialog is beyond me. But those decisions are way above my pay scale.

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-21-2000 12:44 PM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aaron: it is an Italian print. 90% of Columbia movies are only in SDDS (I don't have it). Best films (Zorro, Godzilla) are in DD and DTS too. Some films have DTS timecode but discs are not available (Stepmom is another example).

Kevin: Usually my DD error rate stay between 3 and 5 (Cinemeccanica readers). I saw also a 0.5... I never had problems with Dolby Digital in normal use.

Yes, surely the problem was the mix of the film, probably during the italian remixing someone forget to push the "surround" botton

Do you think that this should affect ALL Dolby Digital copies?

Bye

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 08-22-2000 03:54 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Two points: 2: when studios release films with one or more of the channels totally mute throughout, it would be nice if they left a note in the can to that effect, so we could switch off the relevant power amps during the feature.

2: Does phoning up DTS when discs fail to arrive work outside the US, too? We don't have DTS at this site but I worked at one second-run venue which did, and discs not arriving with films was a massive problem. When you called the distributor they usually said they didn't have any.

Reminds me of an anecdote a former chief told me: when 'The Jazz Singer' opened in London's West End, the cinema manager sent a cable to Warners' offices which read simply 'Broken all records'. The recipient thought he was talking about box office receipts and so took no action. A little while later a second telex was sent: 'Repeat, all records broken, smashed. Please send more.' The 'records' in question were actually Vitaphone discs...

Ben Wales
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-22-2000 04:14 PM      Profile for Ben Wales   Email Ben Wales   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Leo,
If you do not get DTS disk with UK prints and the distributors, try DTS at their UK office at Twyford Berkshire.

Their phone number is (0118) 9349198
Sometimes they may have disks and they are always helpfull as I found in the past.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-22-2000 07:12 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
It would be nice if DTS would offer their cdrom riles via download from a web site so people could in a panic download them and burn a cd whenever their cd came in scratched or didn't come at all. I would host that here for them if it was a possibility. I've got PLENTY of space sitting around nowadays.

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-23-2000 12:18 PM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Was not the first time that Columbia prints movies with DTS timecode but don't provide disks. Distributor say that there are no disks, not that they haven't them.

If was just a problem of have a copy of the disks, I can just go to another theater (that shows the same film), borrow the disks and burn a copy...

However, let suppose that that movie doesn't have DTS soundtrack. Do you think that another copy of Stuart Little can have the same sound mix?

Bye

Ari Nordström
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-23-2000 02:03 PM      Profile for Ari Nordström   Email Ari Nordström   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
>>"However, let suppose that that movie doesn't have DTS soundtrack. Do you think that another copy of Stuart Little can have the same sound mix?"<<

Another Italian print? Absolutely. An American print, or, say, a Swedish one? Not likely when we're talking about a kids movie that gets a remix for each and every new language.

Karen Hultgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-23-2000 04:04 PM      Profile for Karen Hultgren   Author's Homepage   Email Karen Hultgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If anyone ever does not get discs with a print, first call the studio and if they have none, call us. Our number is toll free 800.959.4109

Karen at DTS

Karen Hultgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-23-2000 04:06 PM      Profile for Karen Hultgren   Author's Homepage   Email Karen Hultgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you are not in in the USA, then call our offices in the UK if discs are needed. The telephone number for DTS-UK is 44-1189-349199

Karen at DTS (USA)

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: