Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Sprocket Problems on cat 700 reader.

Author Topic: Sprocket Problems on cat 700 reader.
Tom Kroening
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-17-2000 05:19 PM      Profile for Tom Kroening   Email Tom Kroening   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On one of the dolby readers we have makes a crunching noise. I'm thinking it could have a few hooked teeth on the sprocket. I've read that you can just take the sprocket off and turn it around. Is this recommended for the reader? Any suggestions would be helpful.

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 08-17-2000 05:27 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't seen a penthouse reader ever get hooked teeth
If it does you should be able to see it with a magnifier

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-17-2000 05:53 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom,
Check where the curley spring(actually an RCA soundhead spring)that locks the pad arms closed goes into the main casting. They sometimes oxidize in the hole. I don't know if its the dissimilar metals or if the alumnium casting just oxidizes. This happened allot to me back in the Chicago area, and with the salty air in your area it could also happen. After cleaning out the hole put a dot of super lube on the end of the spring to help keep it from oxidizing again. This could be the cause, especially if the pad arms are stiff to open or close. Also check for 2 film thicknesses of clearance between the pad roller and the sprocket. If the clearance is too small it can make noise when running film through.
Finally, Is it possible that your film is damaged?
Mark

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 08-18-2000 11:06 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We had something similar. I notice it comes and goes with different film stocks. But it wasn't real loud or anything.

One time, someone removed that first 35/70mm width roller the film goes around, but forgot to put back the little washer-spring thingy that pushes out the roller.

I find the steel shaft for those rollers seem to loosen up after a while. Finally went around and "Lock-Tite"ed them.

Tom Kroening
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-18-2000 02:15 PM      Profile for Tom Kroening   Email Tom Kroening   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This happens with all films yet doesnt affect the digital reading. I have noticed that after we moved a print from this projector to a different one, it seemed to start sheding its SDDS track (which could be unrelated but its a possibility that it is related). And also I havn't seen a hooked sprocket on a reader either, but the people that work at this theatre keep on threading the readers WAY too tight, like you could fit two fingers between the two tension rollers.

Tom Kroening
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-18-2000 02:17 PM      Profile for Tom Kroening   Email Tom Kroening   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also, with the springs. When i first got to this theatre I cleaned most of them off right away (you could hardly open any of the clips!). BTW if you hold the film between your fingers and put tension on it the noise stops.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-18-2000 03:52 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you checked the physical alignment of the film entering and exiting the sprocket?

Tom Kroening
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-18-2000 08:34 PM      Profile for Tom Kroening   Email Tom Kroening   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
looks dead on to me, I will check it again though. It comes right out the bottom of a DTS head right into the reader.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-19-2000 01:44 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I meant from the guide roller on the cat 700 into the sprocket as well as the first guide roller coming off of the sprocket.

I'm not putting much of a bet that is your problem, but I did see that once before.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: