Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Questions on un married Mag prints?

Author Topic: Questions on un married Mag prints?
Mark Wright
Film Handler

- posted 08-17-2000 04:26 PM      Profile for Mark Wright   Email Mark Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been asked to run an unmarried mag print. I do not have a mag reader, I need to rent one if anyone has an idea of a company that rents them, and will need to connect it to a CP65. I am also using Christie Platters. If anyone has any info on how this would best be ran in this situation please let me know, Thanks and have a great day!

|  IP: Logged

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 08-17-2000 04:53 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck! You need to rent a mag dubber with the appropriate head configuration (single-track, 4-track, 6-track, and other configurations are available). These things are huge (imagine something the height and width of a typical sound rack). The mag film runs in the dubber which is mechanically or electronically interlocked with the film projector. You will also need the appropriate preamps for the mag heads.

I have never heard of anyone running an interlock show with a platter. I suppose that it could be done, but I've never seen it. If you do this, be sure _not_ to leave identification frames at the head and tail of each reel, as it will mess up the sync. You will probably also need a rewind bench that can handle two reels on each shaft and a two-gang sync block to make up the show without cutting the wrong thing in the wrong place.

I've only personally worked with interlock setups for 16mm. There are some people here who have worked with the 35mm interlock setups for dailies and preview screenings who can probably fill in some of the details that I have missed.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 08-17-2000 05:07 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First find the closest location that rents dailies projection equipment as you will require a dubber
There are many different track configurations that exist and also what type of NR is used
If it is a printmaster it can be fed into the cp65 Nonsynce input and configure it for 4:2:4 playback. In comercial theatres I usually recomend outboard NR cards as most comercial theatres go cheap and use the Cat222SR/A NR card in there CP65's and they don't have the headroom
If it is a 5.1 printmaster it can go into the cp65 at the digital input with again 6 outboard NR units
There are many different track configurations
mono full coat
2 track magnastripe
3 track
4 track
6 track and even 8 track

If this isn't enough grief the projector will require the mounting of a shaft encoder to lock it to the dubber to maintain sync
This little device will have to be bolted to the amchine and in some cases will require a hole drilled into the projector

If this is just dailies then the dubber and projector will not require a second film transport (platter) as the dubber will usually handle a 3000' roll

If it is a feature you will need a second platter (I usually rent out a eprad doublemut)
If your theatre runs reelto reel you will need a second dubber
If it is a platter you will need a two gang syncronizer and both the mag and picture has to travel through it to mark where to make your splices in both the picture and mag track
If you are not familiar with all of this it is highly advisable to bow out
Also is the theatre aware of the cost of this type of setup
In toronto I rent out dubbers usually for around $500.00 per week plus set up and teardown costs. If they can't provide a previously trained operator then we provide one at $40.00 per hour
In canada most of my competition cost even more

If by chance the double system sound is on a dat tape then you will need a biphase shaftencoder and a converter to timecode
good luck

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 08-17-2000 05:24 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott Said:

"I have never heard of anyone running an interlock show with a platter."

I did it a couple years back for a Universal executives' screening of 'The Jackal' working alongside tech staff sent over from Universal, who set up a dubber and interlock system tied to the 5-star's main drive sprocket and a large reel system very similar to an Eprad double-MUT except it was in a transportable road case. The print (a workprint that was assembled by the film's editor) was run on a platter. The editors also assembled the fullcoat mag sound element to the large reels.

Aaron

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-17-2000 05:55 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark,
Talk to Dave at CPI in Nashville. I can send my dubbers out to him if you need them. They are electronic interlock MTM's 1-800-891-1031
Mark

Mark Wright
Film Handler

- posted 08-18-2000 02:33 AM      Profile for Mark Wright   Email Mark Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Guys, Thanks for the information I am going to see what i can do with it.

John Gordon
Film Handler

- posted 08-18-2000 11:42 AM      Profile for John Gordon   Email John Gordon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott,
I have run interlock with a platter, but would only do so if pic and trac are marked where to cut. I had one print that was not marked and refused to run it--without repercussion. This is most important with the trac. At least with pic you can see where to cut.
Use the advice already given and have someone there who has experience with pic and trac interlock. Also, it is always a plus when pic and trac are edge marked because if a problem occurs (brainwrap) and goes out of sync, you can quickly sync it back up by using the edge marking. I know, I've had to do this. I've also had a print without edge marking and when the problem occured and it went out of sync, let me tell you it was a whole lot fun trying to sync it up--especially being the dubber was not by the port window. Arghh!
Doing interlock with unmarried prints is easier with change overs. Ask Steve.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 08-19-2000 12:42 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've run a few interlocked shows with 10 min reels. It's pretty hard to keep up. You just mark them all and rewind later.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: