Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Technicolor film can enclosure (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Technicolor film can enclosure
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-17-2000 10:50 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just got a Technicolor print with a sheet of paper saying: Technicolor is proud to present...THE EXHIBITOR GUIDE, coming this summer!

Has anyone seen this?

The best part of the flier is where it says "SEE what happens to prints before they arrive at your theatre. BE AMAZED at the ACTION that gets movies to your customers."

I guess they'll have pictures of people not inspecting films, throwing cans across rooms, etc.

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-17-2000 03:09 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
This sounds like a bad 1950s science fiction movie. It will indeed be scary!

Think everyone in the pictures will have digital beards?

Transferring this topic to the Film Handler's Forum.

Bob Minge
Film Handler

- posted 08-17-2000 03:37 PM      Profile for Bob Minge   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Minge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike, what movie was it in? Mine was in Godzilla 2000. I thought it was quite appropriate, a monster movie with an ad for a monster movie.

------------------
Bob Minge
Manager/Projectionist
Westridge Cinema 5
Fergus Falls, MN

Dave Ganoe
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-18-2000 05:53 AM      Profile for Dave Ganoe   Email Dave Ganoe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was in my print of Scary Movie!

John Gordon
Film Handler

- posted 08-18-2000 11:18 AM      Profile for John Gordon   Email John Gordon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"...coming this summer."
Isn't summer almost over? Hmmm?

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-18-2000 12:12 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mine was in Disney's The Kid, along with two busted reels and a smashed DTS disk holder.

Mike Jones
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-18-2000 01:13 PM      Profile for Mike Jones   Email Mike Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ooo, i've gotten a couple already! my favorite however was in godzilla where all the reels were tails out. I know they're a little backwards in Japan, but all of them tails out! of course we also received 2 broken reels. Thanks technicolor, you rule!

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-18-2000 03:49 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm. They haven't sent one to me yet. Anyone feel like faxing a copy to 720-344-7600?

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-18-2000 04:52 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad -

It's on its way as I type.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 08-18-2000 06:03 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike -- just be glad that _all_ of the reels were facing the same way! There's nothing more annoying than getting a print with half of the reels heads out and half of them tails out. Actually, tails-out is supposedly the "standard" shipping configuration, which explains the "do not rewind" message on reel bands. For reel-to-reel screenings, I definitely prefer tails-out shipments, since the print can be inspected as it is rewound onto house reels and doesn't need to be rewound twice.

Tom Ferreira
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-18-2000 10:20 PM      Profile for Tom Ferreira   Email Tom Ferreira   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought this note was a joke the first time I saw it, put in the can by an extremely sarcastic projectionist, then I remembered that I play first run, so I thought, "Gee, it must be real".
I'm wondering why it's late August and the guide that's "coming this summer" hasn't arrived yet.
I hope it answers some of the other great Technicolor questions:

DISCOVER the MYSTERY of the amazing changing delivery window!

WONDER at incredible phone representative who can't answer the SIMPLEST questions after you've been on hold for 20 MINUTES!

UNRAVEL the puzzling ENIGMA of the broken shipping reels!

Find out what the HELL National Screen was THINKING when they became a Technicolor company!

DISCOVER why Buena Vista, Universal, and Sony turn a BLIND EYE to the way their prints are treated in order to save MONEY on print distribution!

I can't wait to see this guide-sounds like somebody's trying to do some spin doctoring.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-19-2000 01:50 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Got the fax. Here it is in all of it's glory. (Note the flyer was pure text.)

TECHNICOLOR
The greatest name in color
is proud to present
THE EXHIBITOR GUIDE
Coming this summer!

SEE what happens to prints before they arrive at your theatre.

BE AMAZED at the ACTION that gets movies to your customers.

MARVEL at the vitally important part you play.

A cast of thousands brings your films to moviegoers across the country, including THEATRES, FILM STUDIOS, TECHNICOLOR, AIRBORNE EXPRESS, and SKY COURIER. Now this cast teams up to bring this Guide to you.

Rated "U": This material has been deemed user-friendly for the entire Exhibition Community.

Watch for it soon!

Well, I must say that has got to be the single most LAME thing I've read in years. I'll bet this was someone's brilliant idea to try to get sympathy from everyone at the theater level (so we will stop complaining) and to make their jobs seem oh so much more difficult to the studios who pay for their services. Anyone else get that same feeling?

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 08-19-2000 05:53 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If this thing actually gets distributed to anyone here, PLEASE send one to Brad so he can put up a PDF file of it. This is going to be just too funny to miss.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 08-19-2000 06:10 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Shhhhhhh!!!! You'll scare them away!

Tom Ferreira
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-19-2000 10:30 PM      Profile for Tom Ferreira   Email Tom Ferreira   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How much do you want to bet that there was never any intention of this 'guide' existing? Perhaps the Technicolor lurkers would like to chime in here...

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: