Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Pink Pixi Dust (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Pink Pixi Dust
Rudy Bergman
Film Handler

- posted 08-17-2000 01:45 AM      Profile for Rudy Bergman   Email Rudy Bergman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

what the heck is the pink dust that snows on my projectors and how do i get rid of it!?
i tried cleaning the prints and that works some times but on some prints its just no use... i cleaned big momma's house three times in a row and still the projector was covered with the mysterious substance.
we joke that its the projection fairy... mabey this means we're getting those tools i requested!

|  IP: Logged

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 08-17-2000 02:12 AM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's polyester dust... A fact of life these days.

Get a media cleaner and some Film-Guard, and that dusting is a thing of the past...

Aaron

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-17-2000 02:23 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
What kind of film cleaner are you using? Click on the "film cleaning" link at the bottom of the screen for info on FilmGuard. It will absolutely put a stop to your shedding and static.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 08-17-2000 04:50 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pink debris is usually emulsion. When film is processed, the gelatin emulsion swells like a sponge. It shrinks back in the process machine dryer, but a bit "overhangs" the edges and perforations. The first few runs through a projector scuffs off this overhanging emulsion as dust or hairs. Using an on-line film cleaner removes it. It is magenta (pink) because that is the topmost imaging layer on the film.

If the dusting continues beyond the first few runs, be sure the film isn't being abraded by the projector.

David Kilderry
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-17-2000 05:14 AM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage   Email David Kilderry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rudy,

New projectors and those with "harsh" film gate areas cause more abrasion than "soft" gate machines.

Cinemeccanica and Christie can be harsh if not "burnished" with lots of film or correctly adjusted shoes and pads. No such problems with Kinoton curved gates especially once broken in.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 08-17-2000 09:09 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With most new machines I make a loop of mag dubber fullcoat and coat it with cutting oil and let it run in the projector for 6 hours and that hones down most of the crappy machining

Mike Jones
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-17-2000 11:01 AM      Profile for Mike Jones   Email Mike Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ok, here's how to FIX your problem. Reguage your rollers! More likely than not, your rollers are set too close to your sprockets and the film is getting pinched too tight. This is not something you have to live with. Some shedding is normal, lots is not. What i reccomend is taping two layers of film together. And, place that film inbetween the sprockets and rollers. If this film is held tightly, you'll need to back off the rollers. there's probably little bolts you can turn to do this. I like to make my rollers a little looser than this. So i don't have to make this adjustment everyweek. Give this a try and check the tightness of the intermittent pad. (this has caused a problem and was actually the installer's fault) If you have any more questions, just ask, i'll try to answer them.

mike

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 08-17-2000 11:24 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the whole machine is coated it is probably a roughness problem If it was a pad clearance issue it would be also have a residue built up on the offending roller
Also it would be virtually impossible to have all rollers misaligned. Certain machine also have stabality issues with estar stock and 2 thickness clearances
The two thickness rule was solely to provide for overlap cement splices
Now days it is best to set them for the film thickness plus 2 layers of splicing tape this will allow tape spliced or ultrasonic spices to pass through in a controled manner

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 08-18-2000 09:08 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As others have noted, the location of the debris may give a clue to the cause. "Pinching" or misaligned pad rollers are a common reason for edge scuffing of the print, resulting in magenta (pink) debris, either dust or fine hairs. But if the margins (SDDS area) and the area between the perforations are really being scuffed and scratched, check if the gate or intermittent shoe surfaces are clean and smooth and without nicks or burrs, and reduce gate/shoe tension as much as possible while still maintaining a steady image.

Kodak has always recommended proper lubrication ("edge waxing") of prints after processing, but this is rarely done by the labs anymore due to environmental restrictions on the solvents used:
http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/support/processing/h242/h2402_04.shtml#164364

So proprietary film treatments (like Film-Guard or Tomakote) are often found to be of help when projectors are particularly abrasive.

A few years ago, I wrote an article on "Help for Projector Dusting":
http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/newsletters/reel/summer98/pointer.shtml

Rudy Bergman
Film Handler

- posted 08-19-2000 03:12 AM      Profile for Rudy Bergman   Email Rudy Bergman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
PROBLEM SOLVED!
i re-aligned the rollers as suggested above and... no more dust!
by the way... we aint getting no Film Guard. we couldnt even get the manager to spring for masking tape (TRUE!). we had to buy our own and we're the number eight theatre in the nation. we have 26 screens and i get paid $6 flat. cheap? you betcha.

Mike Jones
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-19-2000 01:52 PM      Profile for Mike Jones   Email Mike Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yay! I knew it would work! Usually the simplest solution is the answer! best of luck.

mike

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 08-20-2000 06:21 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rudy Bergman said: "PROBLEM SOLVED!
i re-aligned the rollers as suggested above and... no more dust!"

Glad the suggestions in my article were helpful.  - Film is really pretty tough, but a misaligned pad roller or a gate that's not polished and clean can cause problems.

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 04-07-2008 04:12 PM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 2787 days since the last post.

Gregory Chang
Film Handler

- posted 04-07-2008 04:12 PM      Profile for Gregory Chang   Email Gregory Chang       Edit/Delete Post 
John,
I know this thread is several years old, but I just tried emailing you and it bounced back: do you have a copy of the article, "Help For Projector Dust?"

If so, could you post the text to the forum or send it to me via email? My address is below if you still have a copy.

Thanks!
Greg
 -

[ 04-07-2008, 04:18 PM: Message edited by: Brad Miller ]

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-07-2008 04:17 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our dear friend John past away last year. Found it by googling:

Help for Projector Dusting

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: