Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Trailers: how to (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Trailers: how to
Richard Quesnelle
Film Handler

- posted 08-16-2000 10:06 PM      Profile for Richard Quesnelle   Email Richard Quesnelle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So it seems that lately I have been making up all the new prints at the theatre. I have even been putting on the trailers (sometimes the manager will pu them on if I had to make up a film on 6000' for in if the platters were full). Just to clarify a few things (that have probably been answered before).

1) You should keep the same lens ratio (ie scope/flat) for the whole print -meaning a couple of flat and a couple of scope trailers.-Yes or No

2) Do you normally try to accompany the same distributing companies trailers on that same print. -Yes or NO

3) Is there normally an order as to placing them on the print: ie by release date or any other fashion. -Yes or No

Any other info I may have missed please add it to my list.

Thanks

Richard

|  IP: Logged

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-16-2000 10:13 PM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's what I do.

1 - If the film is flat, play flat trailers, if the film is scope, play scope trailers.

2 - This step is cut out from me, as I get "Trailer Commands, er Requests" from the home office - I simply play what they wish. Basic guidlines - Never play more than one trailer from any film company, except the one who distributed the movie, then play the attachment and one other, also never play fewer than 5 trailers per print.

3 - order is insignificant - it'll get changed around as you add new trailers, etc.

There's my two cents worth.

Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-16-2000 11:14 PM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1. Same as above - Same format all the way through unless your automation can handle it. It also makes the breakdown of the trailer pack simpler if they are all one type.

2. Cinemark gives a "request" with mandatory and alternate titles. I believe the rule is as above. No more that one or two from the same company.

3. Again, order unimportant although I like to place the attached at the end of the trailers just so that the trailer checker has to watch the whole thing just to verify that we put it on.

Paul.

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-16-2000 11:35 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1) All the same format
2) The only trailer you HAVE to play-and many don't anyway-is the attached trailers. I get requests too, but they're not mandatory. Basicaly, my only rule is, if I'm booked for it and its appropriate to the movie, I play it.
3) I like to put the first four on in order of release date, soonest ot latest. The last one is the attached, deepest in since it won't have to be changed anyway.

Basicaly, other than the attached trailer, its all your discretion.

Russ Kress
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-16-2000 11:40 PM      Profile for Russ Kress   Author's Homepage   Email Russ Kress   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No more than three trailers, please!! *grin* Play what ever you want provided you do not plug "Scary Movie" on the front of "Thomas ans the Magic Railroad" (LOL).

Then play your policy trailer if applicable, followed by the appropriate digital snipe.

House lights should be cue-ed to fade to black simultaniously with the last "subwoofer pulse" on the Dolby "Canyon" snipe.

"Canyon" is (was) the best of the Dolby trailers. Ken, why did they stop printing that one!?

Russ

Rudy Bergman
Film Handler

- posted 08-17-2000 01:21 AM      Profile for Rudy Bergman   Email Rudy Bergman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1)flat w/ flat... scope w/ scope

2)the accompaning trailers and request forms are often an attempt by a company to get their trailers run on a film or in a theatre they have no agreement with. as a rule i dont put on anything the man downstairs doesnt tell me to.

3)i always put the trailers i like on first... that way i always get to enjoy them when i frame the movie. if all the trailers suck i try to find something easy to frame

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-17-2000 01:56 AM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When you frame the movie? Isn't part of good presentation having it threaded in frame. I don't tolerate it w/ my projectionists. When I am watching a movie and it starts out of frame, I use that as a judgement of quality of booth staff, really it's quite a simple thing to do. Brad - how do I lock down the framing knobs? I have a Simplex 35. I was reading about that in another post. My projectionists don't seem to understand the importance of framing when threading, so I figured locking them would teach em.

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 08-17-2000 02:26 AM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When making a trailer pack I program in the following manner:

Only one of our plexes has automatic turrets, so all the trailers are in the same format as the feature.

Our policy states that we play 7-10 minutes of trailers (including the attached one, if applicible) which usually means 3-4 trailers including the attched one.

I do my best to place trailers that are appropriate for the feature, no family trailers with R-rated films and no 'hard PG/PG13' or R-Rated movie trailers with G films. Sometimes the attachments are inexplicable, case in point was Sony's asinine decision to attach 'Mirror Has Two Faces' on 'Fly Away Home' we got tons of complaints about "the preview with Jeff Bridges and Barbra Streisand Talking About Having Sex"...obviously it was removed soon after. I also seem to remember Warners attaching 'Quest For Camelot' and 'Space Jam' trailers to some R-rated titles back in the day... enough of this rant...

Last thing I do is place all the trailers that are on the feature's DTS disks LAST. This way all the analog trailers play in analog and then we switch into DTS for the remainder.

Aaron

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-17-2000 02:31 AM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I had a very reliable, automated booth, we could put flat trailers on a scope picture. There is a sense of drama as the masking pulls back and we hit the screen with a scope movie. Of course that was defeated when we moved the print to one of the smaller houses with scissor masking (top and bottom). We used to get complaints, "How come the screen got smaller.

Now we always program the same format. My booth isn't near as automated as the last one. We have manual lenses and manual masking.

We are careful only to program films we are going to get or films we might get. If the competition gets one of our films, we pull the trailer quickly.

We try to place trailers for films we are currently playing near the front so we can remove them easily. We have a shortage of trailers so we play cross plugs for are other screens. That said we try never to program more than three. I like trailers as much as the next guy but nobody remembers the middle trailers. After too many trailers it all becomes noise.

What we can't believe is the film companies that run out of trailers. It is their number one method of marketing. When they deny us a trailer it's like saying, "We don't want to make any money." Technicolor does this to us each week. We always call Exhibitor Relations for the film company involved and usually we get a couple of trailers.

Bob Minge
Film Handler

- posted 08-17-2000 07:12 AM      Profile for Bob Minge   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Minge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And don't forget to take your policy trailer off. Star theaters from somwhere missed one, and I missed it cause the movie was a great TCS friday morning film, so didn't get to preview it. Three days later a customer asked if we had become a Star theater now. OOPS!! Pay attention you three (me, myself & I) , just because you have been gone 2 years doesn't mean you need to forget everything.

------------------
Bob Minge
Manager/Projectionist
Westridge Cinema 5
Fergus Falls, MN

John Gordon
Film Handler

- posted 08-17-2000 09:39 AM      Profile for John Gordon   Email John Gordon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Long live manual lens changing and masking!

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 08-17-2000 11:51 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, to fill in the form:

1) You should keep the same lens ratio (ie scope/flat) for the whole print -meaning a couple of flat and a couple of scope trailers.

If the feature is flat, we run only flat trailers - scope; only scope trailers. The zipper does not close when the turret rotates; that's why we do it that way.
I have yet to find out "who" is responsible for this: the turret control box on the Simplex, or the automation.

2) Do you normally try to accompany the same distributing companies trailers on that same print.

No, we want to advertise all studios films we might get, on any film we are running. We mix them all. Of course, we're not going to put on a trailer for "Shaft" followed by one for "Thomas and the Magic RR."

3) Is there normally an order as to placing them on the print: ie by release date or any other fashion.

No, since they are added to and/or changed every week, it would be too much to remove and insert certain trailers at certain locations. If the trailers are *generally* for similar films, it usually shouldn't matter.

We don't put on any more than three trailers at a time. We don't cut off the green rating section at the beginning. I try to get the kiddies to leave on as much "black" at the head and tail of trailers, so there's a nice "pause" or break between. As soon as the film opens (at our theater or elsewhere) that trailer is removed from all screens. We usually throw them away, as our company has no "mechanism" to send them out for return.

Mark Wright
Film Handler

- posted 08-17-2000 04:54 PM      Profile for Mark Wright   Email Mark Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is good to keep all the previews the same formatt as the movie incase your cue detector fails or your cues get to worn or dirty to make the lens switch. It is good to keep same company on a print if it is a sneak preview, but other than that you would look for the genre, comedy, drama, horror and so on, to try and make a match or also the age group you think the film maybe made for to try and put previews of the same generation or class. Where I work, home office sends you the list of trailors that are playing on which movies.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 08-17-2000 05:16 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From a showmanship point of view I always find it terrible to have flat trailers ahead of a scope feature in a auditorium where the masking lowers for scope
Big picture for the previews smaller picture for the feature not cool

Scott D. Neff
Theatre Dork

- posted 08-18-2000 12:27 AM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Author's Homepage   Email Scott D. Neff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll take that Star Theatres trailer off your hands....

------------------
Scott D. Neff
----------------
www.cinema-west.com

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: