Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Excess slack between projector and platter

Author Topic: Excess slack between projector and platter
Mike Beerbower
Film Handler

- posted 08-16-2000 09:47 AM      Profile for Mike Beerbower   Email Mike Beerbower   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm having a problem with one of our Speco LP-270 platters. There's a TON of slack in the film between the lower magazine roller on the projector and the bottom roller on the platter tree. The problem occurs intermittently no matter which deck is being used for takeup. I've cleaned the rods on the yo-yo (or elevator, if you prefer) and checked the coupling between the control rod (the twisted one) and the variac. I've been into the control box, where I changed out the little round black thing (is it the rectifier?) and checked the diodes. So far, I've found nothing to indicate the cause of the trouble.
My next step is to replace the variac, unless anyone can think of anything else that might cause this problem. Any ideas? Has this ever happened to anybody else?
If you have any suggestions, please let me know. Thanks!

Mike Beerbower
Cinemark Tinseltown 17, Erie, PA
thespian99@hotmail.com

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 08-16-2000 09:50 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have had to ad a weight to the yoyo on some speco's just to ensure the fim wasn't dragging on the floor

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-16-2000 02:02 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Get a few drops of projector oil on a cloth and spread it on both of the rods on the elevator (yo yo). That usually does the trick quite nicely and because it is oil, lasts for quite some time.

You might have something mechanically bent in the elevator assemblies.

David Kilderry
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-17-2000 05:51 AM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage   Email David Kilderry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike,

Sure sounds like a Speco to me!

We have a few hundred of them and a few have exhibited the problem you describe out-of-the-box. A simple fix as mentioned is to add weight to the yo-yo. Always keep the verticle shafts clean (don't spray CRC or WD-40, works for a while but attracts dust and dries). Try replacing the twist or control shaft.

Is it a 3 deck or 4 deck model?

David

Mike Beerbower
Film Handler

- posted 08-17-2000 06:54 AM      Profile for Mike Beerbower   Email Mike Beerbower   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I'm glad I asked here before I went to the trouble of changing the variac :-)
Actually, I tinkered with the yo-yo a little yesterday and loosened the screw that contols how tightly the yo-yo grips the round shaft. The yo-yo moves more freely now, and that seems to have solved the problem, probably the same way an extra weight would have. If the problem occurs again, I'll try the projector oil on the shafts.
Thanks guys!

Mike

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: