Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » LED's and Mono

Author Topic: LED's and Mono
Bob Minge
Film Handler

- posted 08-16-2000 08:15 AM      Profile for Bob Minge   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Minge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just had LED readers installed. Theater with Ultra Stereo sounded great..until format card quit. In my 3 mono houses I have 2 that have scratching and static and one seems ok. Anything a non-techy type can do to fix without having them come back and fix? Also one of them has the thump thump train sound. Reader out of place??

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 08-16-2000 11:50 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The format board's just die on Ultras
The thumping is probably something on the edge of the scanning drum it will be a constant rythmatic beat if that is the case
In mono theatres i have found it necassary to put two reistors in serries with the preamps outputs to prevent them cross loading each other when summed into the mono system

Bob Minge
Film Handler

- posted 08-16-2000 07:22 PM      Profile for Bob Minge   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Minge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Gordon. Also talked to my service company and they also suggested the film might be out of alignment and its trying to read the DTS track. I put in a short loop from another trailer with DTS and it did not have the thump, thump, so might just be the print of What lies beneath. Nothing on the scanning drum so its not from that.Will look at it more tomorrow morning after I build, if nothing else I will use Army tactics...Big Hammer and duct tape

------------------
Bob Minge
Manager/Projectionist
Westridge Cinema 5
Fergus Falls, MN

Nick Perry
Film Handler

- posted 08-17-2000 02:27 AM      Profile for Nick Perry   Email Nick Perry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have encountered a similar problem with LED's. Although the static sound I got really wasn't that bad for analogue sound and most people probably wouldn't pick it. I put the problem down to an older model pre-amp card and no noise reduction capabilities on the processor. With LED's their illumination of the sound track is that much better that it will pick up little imperfections particulary dirt and scratches along the soundtrack. If your processor does not have the capability to counter act these unwanted noises than "static" and "crackles" tend to be the result.

Nick

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: