Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Peavey CS-400 amps in a cinema???

Author Topic: Peavey CS-400 amps in a cinema???
Rory Burke
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-15-2000 12:35 PM      Profile for Rory Burke   Email Rory Burke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A local San Diego theater was retrofitted from Mono to 5:1 last month. Out came these Peavey CS-400 amps about 40 of them from the entrie complex. We replaced the sound system with EV speakers CP-45's and QSC MX series amps. Also by the way the beautifully designed older theater had the traditional 12:1 slope with a great picture due to real lensing practices back in the olden days. The funny thing is the theater's acoustics. They had aluminum panneling on the walls for decoration. OUCH! Talk about slap echoes!!!
I've never imagined people paying good money to watch a movie in a Tuna Can! Jees. The panels were quicly replaced with acoustic panelling and carpeting. Any ways I was wondering if anyone had any info on these amps and perhaps a manual handy out there? I am assuming these amps are more live band concert types and definitely dont belong in a theater audio system but they have got to be good spares in an emergeny case. (have used Radio shack specials in the past to get thru shows).

Any help would be great,
RORY

|  IP: Logged

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 08-15-2000 12:44 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't laugh at this (it's not funny), but when the Williamsburg Theatre (see pictures) was converted to Dolby in 1981, a certain unscrupulous (sp?) service company replaced the old Altec tube amps (installed in the '50s for mag sound) with 100w McMartin paging amplifiers. They also removed the really high-quality 70v transformers and just ran cheap cable from the sound rack to the Voice of the Theatre speakers. Apparently, they then sold off the good Altec stuff at a profit, while leaving the theatre with cheap junk.

Needless to say, McMartin paging amps are not known for their sonic qualities. We finally replaced them with QSCs last year. One of the McMartins is now the booth monitor amp. The others found a home in the trash.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 08-15-2000 12:53 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The CS400was a popular amp CFS usually used them with there prewired racks with the Ultra Stereo
The thing to watch out for was peavey always rated there amps at 4 ohm giving a high output spec
fairly bullet proof amp
Into 8 ohms I believe they are 120-150 watts out. There is also a wide range of input modules for them as well like transformers and crossovers

Jason Burroughs
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-15-2000 02:14 PM      Profile for Jason Burroughs   Email Jason Burroughs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gordon's right, untill recently Cinemark lived by the CFS/Peavy/Ultra Stereo/SPECO package. The CS-400's and CS-800's were very common, we had a few fail, but no more than Crown for instance, but the QSC is clearly a superior amp.

The CS-400's and the CS-800's at one time WERE THX certified, if you have doubts about their use in theatres.

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-15-2000 02:27 PM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've got 4 - CS-800's I use in my mobile DJ systems. They are heavy as lead, bullet proof, and most of all... they work - every time I turn them on. I have relied on Peavey CS series amplifiers for 16 years and have never had a problem with them.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-15-2000 04:54 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have 2 brand new CS-800's in the box that are set up for 220 volt input if anyone is intereested in them.
Mark

Russ Kress
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-15-2000 11:02 PM      Profile for Russ Kress   Author's Homepage   Email Russ Kress   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have had experience with CS Series 400s and 800s, but only in pro sound applications. They were fairly reliable and reasonably priced (READ: CHEAP) for a couple of bands that I played in when I was younger.

As posted above, they do accept input accessories. We used the crossover modules to tri-amp the stage mains.

While they lack the brute-force power of their QSC counter parts, they should not cause you problems.

Russ

Chris Erwin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-16-2000 08:24 PM      Profile for Chris Erwin   Email Chris Erwin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The CS series of amps are killer for live music and dj (dj is what I do). You could overload em',run 'em out of phase,set 'em on fire,etc. and they would still work like a champ.

I too have seen them in cinema use provided you have a good eq/processor and good speakers they can do well. It might not be the absolute best for cinema, but I bet you'll hardly have much grief out of them.

--Chris

PS: In my experience, you can get spare parts and fix 'em for not alot of money at lots of guitar/music shops.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: