Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Older Christie Projectors

Author Topic: Older Christie Projectors
Sean M. Grimes
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-13-2000 03:17 AM      Profile for Sean M. Grimes   Author's Homepage   Email Sean M. Grimes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey there fellow projectionists I have a rather quick question - I have never seen or operated and Christie projectors other than the p35gps... Is there anywhere I can read or even see them or did Christie just make platters and lamphouses for the past thirty years? Any help would be great.

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-13-2000 04:17 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sean,
Christie's original version was simply called the P-35 and I do not remember the exact year it was introduced but I want to say early to mid 80's. It had only two timming belts in it and used a right angle shutter gear box and a reversing 1 to 1 gear set to drive the intermittant. The very first machines also used a Simplex E-7 intermittant instead of the ultramittant. Early machines had single lens mounts, a sound drum that supported only the outer edges of the film, and a very long straight gate, Actually, these older machines in general actually run better than the gearless version, and seem to have fewer breakdowns. The one problem was that the gears in the right angle shutter gear box are so small that they used to wear out fast. But no where near as fast as the present shutter belts(yearly). I suppose the biggest problem was that one could not tell when the gear box would wear out. At any rate there are a fair amount of these machines still in daily use that have the shutter gear box with the Ultramittant driven by the reversing gear set. I have one thats in the low 40's serial number range ant it runs great. BTW: These also have a two blade shutter.
Mark

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 08-13-2000 02:14 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark the first ones used the super simplex movement

Kevin Crawford
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-13-2000 09:56 PM      Profile for Kevin Crawford   Email Kevin Crawford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't forget that they rob just as much light from the screen as the new projectors. I think that it was introduced as early as '79. We just took some out of a theatre a few months ago, and replaced them with even older Centurys. That tell you something?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-14-2000 08:59 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kevin,
Actually the new machines with the single blade - double speed shutter have considerably more light than the older machines with the standard shutter. They also have no ghosting or shimmering problem either.
Mark

Kevin Crawford
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-15-2000 01:45 AM      Profile for Kevin Crawford   Email Kevin Crawford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I stand corrected. I do not currently service any of the new versions of the Christies. But the old bow tie shutters suck up a lot of light.

Beven, I am sorry, and thanks for correcting me via email. It is nice to know that you lurk around here. But why won't you participate?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: