Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » OT: For bad spellers

Author Topic: OT: For bad spellers
Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-11-2000 03:26 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One thing that's always a problem for me on these BB's is there's no spell checkers. I'm really bad at spelling, even though I know what I want to say sometimes getting it down on paper is a chore. There's a program that I just got called "QuickSpell" it's a TSR program which watches everything you type in any program in Windows and tells you when you screw up. You can get a free down load at http://www.fornada.com/download_frame.htm
There's a two week free trial, then it costs $25. I like it.

PS I don't work for or have anything to do with the QuickSpell people

------------------
Greg Mueller
Amateur Astronomer, Machinist, Filmnut

|  IP: Logged

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-11-2000 06:31 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I am writing long and involved posts, I write in Word. I them spell check them and then cut and paste it into the forum. When I am writing something short like this, I just wing it.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 08-11-2000 11:14 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I tried doing that, but Word left in the 'returns' so it looked strange when I pasted it into the BBS "Reply" window.

Fortneatlly I'm a reely good speler, so it's not a problm.

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-11-2000 11:16 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I typically have to edit my posts at least once (and often more than once) after submitting because of mispelled words or grammatical errors. "Correct spelling and grammer is esential to good writing."

I doubt that this forum software can spell check on the spot because it doesn't get the submitted input until the "Submit Reply" button is pressed, which sends the form contents to the CGI program. If such functionality were present, it would have to send back an entirely new form with the misspelled words noted, and allow editing and resubmission. These form pages act similarly to the old block mode IBM 3270 terminals, for any of you old IBM mainframe users out there.

This is a good candidate thread for moving to the new Film-Yak forum.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: