Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Which is the best sound format? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Which is the best sound format?
Peter Schulze
Film Handler

- posted 08-11-2000 03:13 PM      Profile for Peter Schulze   Email Peter Schulze   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First, I'd like to introduce myself. I think this is a great website. Second, I hear varying arguments from projectionists and theater owners regarding which is the best sound format. Some say SR-D, others say DTS and still others have told me SDDS is superior. I haven't heard all of these formats so I'd like to know which one you guys/girls think is the best and why.

|  IP: Logged

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-11-2000 03:31 PM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OPTICAL SOUND

Why? It's printed on the film. There is no outboard equipment that can set you back thousands of dollars.

Almost any 35mm sound projector in the world can play it properly.

Drawback: Iffy stereo, pops and clicks at splices. A sprocket run in the soundtrack is usually the end of the print... Until I come along....

I have no problem with MONO sound, personally...

Glad you have come here, Peter. Now I will yield the floor to others that have projectors that are newer than a 1941 Holmes model 8.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 08-11-2000 03:34 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My votes:

best cinema sound format ever designed--Cinerama 7-track mag interlock
best practical cinema sound format ever designed--70mm 6-track mag with Dolby SR
best-sounding 35mm format--DTS
most practical 35mm digital format--Dolby Digital
most practical 35mm format (any type)--optical Dolby Stereo SR

Mathias Andersson
Film Handler

- posted 08-11-2000 03:39 PM      Profile for Mathias Andersson   Email Mathias Andersson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is best?
Easiest format to use?
In that case perhaps Dolby Digital or SDDS.
Best sounding format?
DTS. Stored on CD-ROMS makes this format always crisp and clear.

That's not an opinion, that is fact

Ari Nordström
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-11-2000 03:42 PM      Profile for Ari Nordström   Email Ari Nordström   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I still prefer a 70mm 6-track Dolby print, but that's just me.

Regarding the digital formats of today, both SRD and DTS can produce good results and are relatively reliable. I haven't heard that many SDDS movies, but none of the ones so far has matched SRD or DTS in sound quality. As for SDDS reliability, read the Film-Tech archives...

If I got to choose (and I did, at our theatre) I'd pick SRD. Why? Availability, first and foremost. You can't misplace the SRD track, which means that most of the new prints today come with ready-to-run Dolby Digital. The DTS discs, on the other hand, always seem to be missing, and not that many films have SDDS tracks, either.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-11-2000 03:54 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Personally,
I agree with Scott Norwood. The Cinerama format is really a killer sound system. The track of HTWWW is still the best sound track I have ever heard irregardless of its being analog or digital or whatever. Nothing has ever come close to it. One has to remember that full coat mag is where almost all films originate today. So when one says that one digital system sounds better than the other, it's merely that one can reproduce the analog master more faithfully than the other can.

As far as practical formats go......
1. Cinerama Sound System
2. Dolby Optical SR
3. Dolby SRD if you have to have digital.
4. 70mm Dolby 6 Track SR
5. DTS Digital.
There is nothing left after these as any other film format that may exist is not practical to have in the booth.
Mark

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 08-11-2000 04:32 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1 70mm SR toddao layout
2 35mm 4 track mag with NR
3 on a dubber
4 dts

John Gordon
Film Handler

- posted 08-11-2000 05:08 PM      Profile for John Gordon   Email John Gordon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to the site Peter,

You ask a big question that will never have a specific answer, not to mention will result in heated debates. Look at the results so far. I too like a 70mm 6 trk in a well tuned room. I've also enjoyed many digital sound tracks as well as optical. I assume your question was more specific as to which of the three current digital sound formats are better???

As mentioned, you will not find a specific answer for this question. As most of us know, you can run the same print in ten, or more, different rooms (same size or not) with the same sound format and each room will sound different. Many of the differences will be slight, and then some will be major. Most of the rooms may sound great, but then others may sound horrible. Many things play a factor in sound quality, with acoustics and tuning having major rolls. You can have perfect acoustics (is that possible?), but if your room is not tuned properly--of which many are not--then you will not get the best sound. Etc, etc. etc.

Another thing that plays a big roll in good sound quality is the recording itself. Most soundtracks today are well done, but all too often motion pictures are on a schedule that is too short or falls behind which means the sound mix has to be rushed. The results are still usually quite good, but can be much better. And what about prints that have errors on them--this is a topic of much debate already here on the fourm, so we do not need to go there.

As to your specific question as to which digital sound format is better (putting aside all the issues of reliability, maintenance, support, etc.) and considering only the sound playback quality, how about the one that sounds as close to the original print master? But that leads to another question. How many people actually get to hear the print master? Not many. When I ran film (changeovers of course!) I would run in the format that was prefered by the sound mixer, or at least the studio's preference. On occasions I was given specific instructions as to which format to run, instructions coming from the sound editors. Not everyone has this information, but mixers, directors, studios, etc. usually have a preference and that is what the motion picture should be ran in if you have the ability to run all formats. i.e. Columbia pictures would be of course SDDS; Universal dts; Disney, Fox, Warner, and Paramount Dolby Digital--and these are not always the case. Are we confused yet? How about when it comes to a Woody Allen picture? I ran in SR with all amps turned off except for the center channel, unless other intructions stated differently, because this was the usual choice. The bottom line, when I ran/run motion pictures I do my best to run in the sound format prefered by the mixer/director because that is what they want. If you only have one digital sound format then you do not have much of a choice as to which one to run.

We all have our opinions as to which format we think is better, and rightly so. But why is it you rarely see discussions or considerations of the format of choice by what the mixer/director wants?
Well, I guess I have rambled enough.

Nic Dreier
Film Handler

- posted 08-11-2000 05:29 PM      Profile for Nic Dreier   Email Nic Dreier   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi there

The chain where I work, has got DTS, SRD, and SDDS in all big Houses (well they are all Duplex-Houses). First choice system is DTS, then SDDS and finally SRD. Although SRD sounds way better than SDDS (my opinion), we run films in SDDS because the Cinemeccanica DD-Readers do not read very well, which results in many dropouts. Even new copies run at 6 or max. 7 ! So if the film is not DTS, we run SDDS. Personally I don't like SDDS to much, because the sound is very cold compared to SRD or DTS. And I know many people who share the same opinion. Just look for the topic "SDDS" in this forum and you'll know what I mean ;-) !!!

Have a nice weekend

Nic from Switzerland

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-11-2000 05:37 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since I'm not rich, I would have to say MONO is good enough for me.

Dave Cutler
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-11-2000 06:04 PM      Profile for Dave Cutler   Email Dave Cutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always have to put in my two cents on topics about sound systems. So here it goes.

The most practical current digital sound system for 35mm today is SRD. Virtually every 35mm print produced today has an SRD soundtrack. AFAIK, it is standard for any film wanting a Dolby SR analog track to get the SRD track included in the deal. The SRD track my simply be the 2 channel mixed into 5.1 channels for a clearer reproduction. I could be wrong on that, but that's what I have heard.

IMHO, the best current digital sound system for 35mm is DTS. I won't go into why, because this choice is very subjective. Everyone has their opinion and this is mine.

Andrew Poulain
Film Handler

- posted 08-11-2000 07:13 PM      Profile for Andrew Poulain   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew Poulain   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave- I don't want to sound like I'm trying to correct you, however many prints with a Dolby SR soundtrack are not Dolby Digital encoded. The choice of the digital format (or formats) for each feature is determined by the producers and directors of a film. In some cases studio affiliation is a factor.

I agree with John. No digital format sounds as good as the print master. Especially in the room the soundtrack was mixed in.

As to the issue of which format sounds the best.... I've done a number of A-B tests in the same auditorium between all of the digital systems. When the digital systems are aligned properly there are not great differences in the playback of the program material. The truth is that you don't want the competing systems to sound different. Each system should accurately reproduce the print master. The question then becomes which digital system is the best economically and is the most reliable in regards to day-to-day operations.

I'm going to leave it at that.

------------------
Andrew M. Poulain
Field Service Technician
THX Division
Lucasfilm Ltd.
apoulain@thx.com
415-492-3955
Cel: 415-302-0825

Dave Cutler
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-11-2000 07:55 PM      Profile for Dave Cutler   Email Dave Cutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andrew wrote:
"I don't want to sound like I'm trying to correct you, however many prints with a Dolby SR soundtrack are not Dolby Digital encoded."

See I told you I might be wrong. It doesn't happen often though.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-11-2000 10:49 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
All time best sounding commercial theater format (sorry Gordon, no dubbers): 70mm mag!

Best format for quality and reliability: DTS

Best format for convenience, programming, quality and reliability (if not a basement reader): SRD

Overall my choice is SRD. There are no discs to mess with and provided it is being read by a penthouse reader, will very rarely ever have problems. Of course for all around reliability, DTS wins provided you do not have Toshiba drives.

I have found DTS and SRD are virtually identical in quality on A/B comparisons. If I had to make a choice, I'd say the DTS sounds just barely a little bit more crisper with a slightly more "deeper" sub bass. However, such subtle differences would only be noticed on A/B comparisons. SDDS also sounds very good provided it is ran through the processor's EQ as well, but I find it is very cold, harsh and bland when the internal EQ is used.

James Perry Jr
Film Handler

- posted 08-13-2000 03:03 AM      Profile for James Perry Jr   Email James Perry Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
SRD may be the most practical.
And DTS may be the most reliable.
But, SDDS (when it works - the Christies abuse the heck out of the track) is the superior sound. Digital EQ's and the capability to have 8 channel sound (Hollow Man and the Patriot rocked with the Sony) makes it the superior system.

------------------

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: