Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » The cinema in Methuen

Author Topic: The cinema in Methuen
Frank Rapisardi
Film Handler

- posted 08-09-2000 05:16 AM      Profile for Frank Rapisardi   Email Frank Rapisardi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As to why Loews is building in Methuen is beyond me.Showcase in Lawrence and Lowell Ma have dominated the area for years.Showcase has a lot of parking;Methuen has limited parking;plus there are stoes and restaurants on both sides of them.Also there is only a two way road to get in and out.This I think will pose as a traffic nightmare.They must think that they can compete!

------------------

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-09-2000 11:30 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Frank,
I don't know about the new Cineplex in Methuen, but there is one hell of an Organ there. Sounds like the typical Cineplex to me. Everything the same color, all the same equipment, etc. Not much thought went into it, thats for sure. OK theaters, but not spectacular. On the other hand that organ.....well if I lived near it I doubt you'd find me hanging out at any movie theaters.
Mark

Tom Ferreira
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-10-2000 07:35 AM      Profile for Tom Ferreira   Email Tom Ferreira   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's all part of the Grand Plan to fill every square inch of Massachusetts with megaplexes-except where they're really needed, of course. I've still never figured out why my hometown of Taunton only has one theatre-over ten years old, and in a mall.

Trevor Bailey
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-11-2000 01:35 PM      Profile for Trevor Bailey   Author's Homepage   Email Trevor Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom,

Rumor has it that the theater was designed with expansion in mind. It just juts out into the mall parking lot affording a relatively easy add-on expansion. But, once a theater is built, all eyes turn to the next big project.

I always thought that Taunton 10 would have even been a great stadium conversion, since there was nothing under the auditoriums except parking lot. Now there is no way that will happen as Old Navy has filled that space with one of their eye sores.

As a final note, I think that with the increased competition from Flagship 12 in New Bedford, GCC 12 in N. Dartmouth, and the under construction independent in Swansea (10 screens I think), Hoyts may have to do something to make that location more attractive to potential patrons.

m2c

Trevor

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: