Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » digital reader cat no. 700 Problem

Author Topic: digital reader cat no. 700 Problem
Mark Wright
Film Handler

- posted 08-08-2000 11:58 PM      Profile for Mark Wright   Email Mark Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It seems that when the lens was realighned, on the unit i was working on, that it would steel have an F pop up every once in awhile. The F was not becasue of the splice bcause it would pop up at different times. if i was using the digital reader 701, and had realigned the lens with the same thing happening, I could up the voltage on the led to keep the F from poping up. What could I do to help the 700 from having the failure letter pop up. Thanks and have a good day!

------------------

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-09-2000 12:26 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
First thing, change the lamp.

Second thing, you can try to up the voltage from the power supply. (Note sometimes turning DOWN the voltage will get a better reading if it is currently set too high.)

If that doesn't work, you will need a laptop and scope to re-align it. Dolby digital readers can NOT be aligned without at least a laptop and DRAS10 software.

Ken Jacquart
Film Handler

- posted 08-09-2000 11:39 AM      Profile for Ken Jacquart   Author's Homepage   Email Ken Jacquart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad is right. Try changing the reader bulb. They seem to last forever, but what happens is the reflector will get permanently fogged and will greatly reduce the video amplitude output of the reader. If playing with the voltage, you really should be using an oscilloscope to set the video amplitude to 4 volts. If you turn it up too high, you may actually saturate the amplitude... this usually happens if it is increased above 5.5 volts or so.

Good Luck,
ken

John T. Mellor
Film Handler

- posted 08-12-2000 12:11 PM      Profile for John T. Mellor   Email John T. Mellor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The lens tube on the 700 reader can be bent slightly to achive a better reading Check that the lens is alignment If you don't have the dras 10 program for your computor and a scope better get someone that does its the only way I know how to align a dolby properly.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 08-12-2000 01:42 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It would be better to move the lamp bracket (it is slotted to allow that
Unless the light pipe got bent in transit it should not need to be adjusted
Often just replaceing the lamp and then aligning it takes care of the problem.
Also it is important to clean both the output of the lightpipe tube but also the input side with a cuetip and alcohol

Kevin Crawford
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-13-2000 09:53 PM      Profile for Kevin Crawford   Email Kevin Crawford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I seem to recall Lonnie saying that he did not like the software. While I prefer to use the computer, I have found that with a scope and the 671 cards, you can align it pretty well.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 08-15-2000 12:13 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I preferr the scope myself as it is more dynamic.
The Dras program relies on data transfer and is not in reel time
To me it is like using some of the newer digital lcd scopes you have adjusted something and see the results later

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-15-2000 12:19 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok you two guys, why not use the software and a scope like I do to get the best of both worlds.
Mark

Mark Wright
Film Handler

- posted 08-15-2000 12:33 PM      Profile for Mark Wright   Email Mark Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks guys! The info you have been giving is very helpful.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-15-2000 12:41 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
There's no fight here.

Gordon, how long is the delay on your DRAS10? Is response time affected by the laptop? Mine is roughly 1/4 second late, which I can easily live with, but I am using a fairly high end laptop too. Just wondering if that makes a difference in response time.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 08-15-2000 12:55 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
>>Mine is roughly 1/4 second late>>
, I don't think the laptop affects it
but 1/4 second is still a lot of movement
Mark I use both but reley on the scope more
gord

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: