Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Carmike Files Chapter 11 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Carmike Files Chapter 11
Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-08-2000 04:09 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

I just got this info from reliable sources. Are thre any Carmike employes out there that can elaborate on this?
Mark

|  IP: Logged

Marc Jones
Film Handler

- posted 08-08-2000 04:52 PM      Profile for Marc Jones   Email Marc Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I found this on the internet. http://yahoo.marketguide.com/mgi/frameset.asp?rt=news&rn=15310

Andrew Poulain
Film Handler

- posted 08-08-2000 04:55 PM      Profile for Andrew Poulain   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew Poulain   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is quoted from Reuters newswire:

Carmike Cinemas Inc. (CKE), the No. 3 U.S. movie theater operator, said Tuesday it filed to reorganize its businesses under Chapter 11 of the U.S. Bankruptcy code.

"We determined that Chapter 11 provides the most expeditious means to achieve a successful financial and operational restructuring of our business," chief executive Michael Patrick said in a statement. "Our focus is on preserving our assets and improving our operational strength during the difficult period for our industry."

Earlier this month, Columbus, GA.,-based Carmike, which operates 2821 movie screens in 447 theatres, said its lenders prevented it from making a payment under its 9.375 percent senior subordinated notes maturing in Febuary 2009 because it had technically defaulted under two credit lines and a master lease facility.

Carmike's shares were up 1/8 at 2-1/16 in early afternoon trading on the New York Stock Exchange. the stock has traded between 1-5/16 and 14 in the last year.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-08-2000 05:49 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My wife and I, on a rare "night off," went to the Carmike in Billings and saw Space Cowboys. The theatre is just over a year old. Already their moving-message showtimes board is on the blink; some of the neon outside wasn't working; there were giant stains all over the carpet; the lobby floor was sticky; they only had TWO people working their 8-station concession stand; their outer entry door closers were all out of adjustment, so whenever a customer came in the doors would BANG shut. Several of the chairs in the auditorium we visited were broken. The movie: The scope lens was "just slightly" turned, so the picture was skewed a little; the "company logo" film did not appear (but three or four commercials did). At least the film itself was in good shape, and the DTS sound was fine.

If this is how they run their best theatre in Montana, then my reaction to this Chapter 11 thing is: Hee hee hee!

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-08-2000 08:38 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The two Carmike theatres in my location are almost opposites of each other when it comes to maintenance and projection quality. The Huntsville location, the Carmike 10, had been well maintained, for the most part, and still looks new and in good condition. Presentation quality is very good there.

However, the Carmike 8 in Decatur, 20 or 25 miles away, is like "the dark side of the force". During the past few years, that location has let its projection quality slip to abysmal levels. The cosmetic condition of the facility leaves a lot to be desired and the last time I was in there, I felt as if my shoes were going to irretrievably lost, permanently stuck to the floor (exaggerating a slight bit). The place was built in 1982 by Fairlane/Litchfield, taken over by United Artists in 1987, and by Carmike in 1990. I have been complaining about the ridiculously sloppy presentation there and in April, a new manager was put there and he has improved the projection considerably, but he can only do so much. Theatres like this one really give Carmike a bad name. I have been told by a Carmike manager that the Carmike locations in Cullman and Florence were just as bad or worse than the Decatur one. Ugh.

If Carmike lets all their smaller, older theatres run down like this, they deserve to go bankrupt. I've been tempted to go check out some of the older Carmikes in Nashville to see what they're like, but I haven't.

The question is, how is the filing of chapter 11 going to affect their operations? I wonder if they'll close any theatres. I wish they'd either build a new theatre in Decatur (like Huntsville's Carmike 10) and close that dump they have there, and if they can't do that, I feel that handing movie exhibition over to someone who cares more else would be the most appropriate thing to do.

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-08-2000 10:53 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This wasn't unexpected. I saw it coming. Even scarier though, the same thing could happen to Regal here pretty soon. They have an interest payment coming up in September that they may be blocked from making for not meeting certain convenances like Carmike. They also lost 29 million dollars last quarter. Ironicly enough, that announcement came the same day Carmike filed Chapter 11.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 08-09-2000 07:31 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only Carmike cinemas with which I am familiar are the 4-plex and the 7-plex in Williamsburg, VA. Both are pretty dumpy and have such abominations as DTS played in mono with split surround (!) through old Kintek processors and amps. We got a print from the 4-plex once which was covered with popcorn grease. The 7-plex actually has the projector automation control box located behind the concession stand.

I'm told that the 7-plex now has one good projectionist, whom I trained at a different theatre. But that doesn't solve the problems with tiny shoebox auditoria and bad sound.

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-09-2000 07:33 AM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Of the major chains, are ANY of them profitable right now? Seems like all I hear is doom and gloom.

Mark L.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-09-2000 08:05 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The reports are that AMC and Cinemark will also go this route in the next week or so.....
Mark

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-09-2000 08:53 AM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you think that if the major chains all get into financial trouble, that things may return to the days of having smaller, more localized theatre companies, or do you think there will be eventually one main company that runs nearly all the theatres in the country?

I've done quite a bit of research on the old theatres in my area back to the 1920s and it was often the case that a theatre was owned by one person, or sometimes a small number of theatres would be owned by one person. Back before all of the major chains moved in, there were companies like Rosenbaum Theatres, Crescent Amusement Company and United Amusements that owned several theatres (all single-screen indoor or drive-in originally, with some twinning in the middle and late 1970s) in the area.

Any predictions for the future regarding theatre companies?

To me, it seems that the first logical step would be for the chains to close their least profitable locations, along with locations that need expensive maintenance to keep the building in proper condition. Locations such as these detract from the entire image of a company, since many people judge a company by how the company's local facilities appear and function. If I judged the entire Carmike chain by the Carmike Century Cinema 8 in Decatur, AL, I wouldn't bother to set foot in any Carmike theatre. If I judged them by the Carmike 10 in Huntsville, I'd seek out a Carmike theatre anywhere I went. It would be advantageous for Carmike to rid itself of their many "warts" such as the Decatur location that hurt the image of the whole company, and would save them a lot of money on maintenance that will eventually be needed. I suspect that if something else happens there, such as the climate control system failing and needing an expensive repair, that place may close. One manager told me that the next time the lease was up, they might just let it go. Another manager told me they had no plans to close the location. It shows that information from staff or managers is not very reliable.

I really would hate for one chain to end up owning and operating all of the theatres in the country. It would be almost as bad as every restaurant being a McDonalds. I like a variety of architectures, decorations, layouts, and styles of operation in different theatres. That is what makes individual theatres interesting.

Evans

Theatre Information Page: http://home.hiwaay.net/~criswell/theatre/

Dave Cutler
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-09-2000 11:28 AM      Profile for Dave Cutler   Email Dave Cutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
AFAIK, All of the major players are in trouble. There is a short post in the ground level about AMC which I posted on. Basically the Kansas City Star reported that AMC has a 25% chance of defaulting on its dept. Then of course there is always UA, hanging on the edge but not giving in.

I agree that all the majors need to "trim the fat" from the industry. They also need to STOP BUILDING. The US is terribly over saturated with theatres as it is. They need to slow it down, make some money and then move forward.

Maybe filling Chapter 11 is the answer. Dickinson Theatres Inc here in the midwest filled chapter 11 a couple of years ago, restructured their home office, stopped building, shut down crappy theatres, and now they are doing better than ever and building state of the art 12+ plex's while turning a profit.

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-09-2000 11:41 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The story is now on Daily Variety's site: www.variety.com

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-09-2000 12:54 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Both Regal and Carmike, instead of building so many new theatres, making their financial problem worse in the long run, should have been maintaining and improving the theatres they already had. Instead of building a new 16 screen theatre near Birmingham, Regal should have put adjustable masking on the 2/3 of the screens that lack it in the theatres they bought from Cobb in 1997 and implemented quality checking and control procedures to keep their quality of presentation as high as possible. Carmike, instead of building so many theatres in Nashville, should have made sure they could maintain the projection equipment and buildings they already had.

In general, I'd say that when a company expands to the point that they cannot effectively maintain their facilities because of complexity issues, or financial reasons, their fall will be coming soon.

It sound like the next few months will be interesting to observe in terms of theatre companies and their restructuring and reorganizing efforts.

Evans

Charles Lubner
Film Handler

- posted 08-09-2000 01:02 PM      Profile for Charles Lubner   Author's Homepage   Email Charles Lubner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The NYSE has just reported that it has halted trading of Carmike stock (CKE) and may permanently delete the stock from the trading board.

Also, DPF Architects has recently sued Carmike for breaking some type of contract. I assume DPF designs Carmike's theatres and Carmike hasn't paid them.

Dustin...I will keep you informed if I hear anything, but so far no rumors have been started. I'll be happy to put a good word in for you in LaCrosse if you like.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 08-09-2000 01:02 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So besides overbuilding, which is the obvious answer, what is everybody's favorite theory on why exhibition is doing so poorly? I think they are doing so badly because they have to pay projectionists! If only they didn't have to pay us, things would be a million times better! Oh yeah, and overtime! Overtime will cause a company to collapse almost instantly!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: