Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Boys and their toys... do women get to play too? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: Boys and their toys... do women get to play too?
Tom Kroening
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-03-2000 12:28 PM      Profile for Tom Kroening   Email Tom Kroening   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey I just had to bring up this topic. I've heard many things about whether women should be allowed to run the booth or not. some guys think its a men-only domain and that women shouldn't even be anywhere near it. What's everyone's take on this? Personally I don't mind having women running the booth, in fact i've seen them do very excelent work up there. I believe that women are having problems in the booth only because they are trained by one of the guys who doesn't want them there...

|  IP: Logged

Rory Burke
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-03-2000 12:46 PM      Profile for Rory Burke   Email Rory Burke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This might sound a little shauvanistic (SP?) but I used to make a point to have a least one girl working the booth regurlary(40hours a week. The simple reason.....my equipment got cleaned on a regular basis. I cant stand purple gates. To me it means you are not paying any attention to what you are doing and simply dont care what you are doing. I knew that if I had a girl in each of the booths I managed that at least during those 40 hours a week that my equipment was properly maintained and operated. I notice that girls dont try and invent the wheel when a situation comes up. They get on the phone and call me (the technician)and they I effortlessly talk them through the troubleshooting steps. It seems that they do what they are told and they do it well. The guys....pigs...disgusting...they try to fix the equipment themselves(ego I guess) before they reach out for help and only when they are in above their heads do they decide to call. When you have no choice but to pay somebody a lousy wage(minimum in most cases) than you get what you pay for. I would rather have a booth run by all women simply because of the better work ethic. This was not intended to offend those who might be a little sensitive to these topics. Simply my honest opinion.

Rory Burke

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 08-03-2000 02:56 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a woman working in my booth full-time, and she is excellent!

Tom Kroening
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-03-2000 03:13 PM      Profile for Tom Kroening   Email Tom Kroening   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heh, well maybe us guys should be downstairs shoveling popcorn

Kevin Crawford
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-03-2000 05:09 PM      Profile for Kevin Crawford   Email Kevin Crawford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have had both good and bad with women in the booth. Same with men.

I still think that it comes down to the type of person they are, not what sex. Give me someone with a good work ethic, and some degree of mechanical ability, and I'll make a projectionist out of them. Given time of course.

Dave Cutler
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-03-2000 06:13 PM      Profile for Dave Cutler   Email Dave Cutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Kevin. It's the type of person that matters the most.

I have worked with several women in the booth. One is one of the best projectionists I know. I currently have 5 women working for me and they are my top 5 operators. They are more mature (most of my people are under 20) and listen and follow directions better. Guys tend to just do what they want and try and change things. Of course being a guy I enjoy working with women

Not to say that men aren't good, I am one as most of us here are. Just saying that women can be just as good as any man.

Erika Hellgren
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-03-2000 08:48 PM      Profile for Erika Hellgren   Email Erika Hellgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Being a woman and a projectionist, I guess I should chime in on this topic.

I think anybody can do the job if they love it. Women have an eye for detail which is very valuable in a projection booth. Men, on the other hand, are more intuitive with technical equipment. Which is not to say that every woman will be good in booth, or any man can fix any problem with the equipment. Projection is a personality intensive job. If you don't have the right characteristics, male or female, you won't last.

I, personally, have met with a lot of opposition in the idustry with reguard to my gender. I come across more people who don't think "a little girl can run the big bad machines" than I ever knew existed. So bravo to those of you who hire your projectionists based solely on their merit.

Jason Burroughs
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-03-2000 09:29 PM      Profile for Jason Burroughs   Email Jason Burroughs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd have to agree with Erika completely. There are good and bad in both sexes, I have found that unfortunatly females are often never given a chance to prove themselves in the booth.

I have worked along side, supervised and trained a few female projectionists over the years, and to be honest, they have a higher success rate then the men do.

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-03-2000 09:40 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Erika!

Who let you out of the booth. Don't you have some film to build up? Get back to the booth!

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 08-04-2000 02:23 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've trained a couple of the female species to run the booth over the years. They're the same as guys...some got it...and some don't.

I find though that it's mainly guys who ask if they can be trained. I guess the girls do see it as a bit of a boys club (as do more than a few guys).

Erika, if you're ever out this way, I'll give you some work (and I won't ask you to clean out the purple gunk out of the gates...and that's not just because we don't get any purple gunk in the gates, either)

------------------
The Olympics are coming...RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!!!

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 08-04-2000 10:05 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of the first drive-ins I ever serviced had a lone female projectionist. She impressed me as being more dedicated to doing a good job than any male operator we had back home. Oh, and I should mention this was a classic two-projector setup, with Super 135 carbon arc lamps!

I used to date another girl who'd been a projectionist in a carbon booth. It's interesting to note the nuances of a female's approach to the job. I often find them to be very precise.

Somewhere in New England, I heard there was a very good female service tech, too.

And then there's the personable Karen Hultgren at DTS, who's certainly a brilliant tech.

------------------
Better Projection Pays!

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 08-04-2000 10:19 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Rory; Women do what they are supposed to. They understand that the idea of being there is to show movies.

The guys tend to get sidetracked. They will want to fix some problem or adjust things, etc, etc, and forget to start the show.

I have concluded who is the worst person to train. It's not teenagers, women, potheads, alcoholics or mentally retarded people. I know because I have trained all of the above (admittedly, with varying levels of success.)

It's FILM STUDENTS. Sorry to any out there, but generally speaking, they are the worst. First they keep "lookin' at the movie" instead of paying attention and watching the film. They want to change everything (one thought we should change the house light settings, for each feature, for a more artistic presentation.)

I show them a frame of film that's flat, but uses the full frame. They say; "What about that wasted area?" I say; "Only 446 x 825 is used at the theaters." They say; "Don't you know that increases the grain!? (You don't care enough to do a good job.)" I say; "Yes, I know. (I would like to strangle you with this film.)" They say; "Aren't you going to do anything about it?" I resist the temptation to say; "Sure, go get the film stretcher at our other theater...."

I told another that we only show 1.85 and 2.39 ratios at our theaters. He said that (when he is a big director) he will make sure our theaters won't get his movies because he "should have the freedom to choose any ratio he wants and the theaters should be able to show it." That same guy actually ripped up a few feet of film while making up a show, and slugged the damaged film with black leader.

Fortunately, none of them can thread a projector consistently, or splice on a frameline ("Don't you have that tape with the sprocket holes already on it?. ) So they are self-eliminating.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 08-04-2000 12:31 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the difference about guys and girls is that the guys are more assertive. (That can be good and bad.)

When it comes to looking at a projector, or whatever, a guy will ask questions and EXPECT that other guys will ask them questions.

(Many) girls will stand there and say, "Uh Huh". Guys don't think girls know about machines becasue they didn't say sonething like, "Is that a 1/4 horsepower motor or a 1/2?" Maybe it's becasue the girl is paying attention to what you're saying when the guy isn't?

I think it's funny that a guy can spend the entire day working on his 4WD truck, tearing it down and rebuilding it but when he's done he'll take his dirty clothes to the laundry room and be totally stupified when he has to turn on the washing machine!

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 08-04-2000 01:36 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Randy wrote
I think it's funny that a guy can spend the entire day working on his 4WD truck, tearing
it down and rebuilding it but when he's done he'll take his dirty clothes to the laundry
room and be totally stupified when he has to turn on the washing machine!"

You mean you can't just spray them film guard?

Erika Hellgren
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-04-2000 05:28 PM      Profile for Erika Hellgren   Email Erika Hellgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John Wilson,
I'd love to come to Australia sometime, but if I'm able to afford a trip way out there, then I'm probably not going to be in need of a projection job

John Walsh,
Couldn't agree more. I've trained a couple film students, and it's not worth the headaches. I get pretty tired of these guys telling me I should treat a particular film better than others, simply because it was directed by Stanley Kubrik or something.
It's so funny, though, when you get an applicant who has never run a booth, but thinks just because he/she has taken film production classes in college, he/she knows everything there is to know about film, including how to run a booth.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: