Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Joe's Reviews (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Joe's Reviews
Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-01-2000 01:00 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe,
Has the dust settled yet? I mean that literally. The booths I serviced them in were well dusted. Joe hit the nail square on with this review. Its about time that someond did the P35 review. Its funny Joe, but I've had all the same experiences that you have had with them too. Bevan, Now hear this.........Please take all the poo-poos out and put the gears back in!! It was a better projector back then.........
Mark

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 08-01-2000 04:19 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It definitely was! But then Christie couldn't make money off of belt purchases if they did that. There are a lot of Christie projectors out there. Imagine selling 3 belts for each of those one each year. It adds up!

I don't think they changed it to a belt driven design because it was superior to the geared version.

Martin Frandsen
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-01-2000 04:33 PM      Profile for Martin Frandsen   Email Martin Frandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Joe, that "Christie rep troubleshooting manual and FAQ" sure was funny! How did you come up with all does questions and answers?

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 08-01-2000 04:49 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Glad you enjoyed it. Some of the answers were based on actual responses from Christie reps. Like the platter LED going bad or out of time. A Christie rep told me over the phone that I must have someone in the booth who keeps messin' with things, and that I should put a seal over the door on the platter tree. This particular rep was under the impression that Christie products could not be at fault (this is where I derived the "our product is not at fault" line from). I was also told by a Christie rep (different one) to just replace the Dolby Digital beasement reader LED when I complained that the LED power supply in the back of the projector didn't do anything when adjustments were made to it.

Others I just made up, obviously.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-01-2000 05:29 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Joe,
A friend of mine just brought up a good point. You missed a major thing. The shutter and its small size. That "Silver Dollar size makes it very ineffecient. A larger diameter shutter like a Century or Simplex is far more effecient than the "Silver Dollar" shutter in the Christie. My geared P35 is not quite as efficient as a Simplex when measuring light level going through both machines using the exact same lamphouse and screen. I have made these measurements! They had to double speed it(2880 rpm)to get it as good, and it still does not come anywhere near a 35mm Kinoton, or a DP-70 for that matter. That 2880 rpm shutter speed causes all the extra wear and tear on the belts and pulleys contributing to their short life.(Even though I realize I am comparing a Yugo to a Rolls Royce here.) I guess the sum of it all is that it runs but it blows!
Mark

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 08-01-2000 06:47 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually I am able to get some pretty good light out of a Christie projector. I agree that the RPM is way too fast and speeds up the wear on the shutter belt, though. I didn't even think of that.

Curtis, what chain do you work for?

Tom Kroening
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-02-2000 01:19 AM      Profile for Tom Kroening   Email Tom Kroening   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What I never understood is why they don't use a metal timing chain instead of a rubber belt that sheds... You'd think that an oil less projector would be an improvement, but not when its made by christie : P

Kevin Crawford
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-02-2000 01:31 AM      Profile for Kevin Crawford   Email Kevin Crawford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, the older Christies rob quite a bit of light as well. We recently replaced 4 of the old ones. 3 with the Super Simplex movements in them and one of the gear driven ultramittents with used Centurys. Twice the light without replacing anything else. Even if the older ones are better, they are still crap.

Does Christie really believe that they will get people to buy their Digital projectors if they won't support anything "after the check has cleared"? They may buy one or two, but when the fit hits the shan, and Christie won't support them, will companies buy more of them? I don't think so.

It really is too bad that they can build a really good product, ie platter, but build crappy projectors. Worse of all they won't help, or admit that "their product is at fault".

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 08-02-2000 02:46 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did suggest to Christie a while back to try chains instead of belts. At the time I thought I had a really good idea that could improve the projector. But they apparently have already tried that and met with limited success.

The platter is a really good design. But the components they are using now are getting cheap, like the LED assembly. Brand new out of the box shows up as OL (overload) on my multi-meter. I have had three new LEDs do this so far. They are useless. If they could get the older, better LEDs back, along with the fuse-less motor cards, the platters would be unstoppable once again.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-02-2000 04:07 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, their old LED and speed card design was top notch. At that point the AW3 simply could not be beat. I remember being at one theater for 5 years straight. The first week I got there, I retimed the decks. I would check the timing and resistance every 6 months or so, but in the entire 5 year period, I had to do absolutely NO work on those platters.

Now it's a monthly chore and Christie won't admit their new parts are crap.

David Johnson
Film Handler

- posted 08-05-2000 06:43 AM      Profile for David Johnson   Email David Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have read Joes reviews now for some time and have been amazed at his lack of knowledge on the products that he reviews. I have kept quiet till now, but I think that in the interest of fairness it is time someone pointed out some of the many errors in his latest review. Without going through each item point by point I will just mention the most obvious. His comments on how hard it is to remove an aperture plate by using the jogger was the first point that hit me, It takes about 3 seconds to remove the rack that couples the plate to the motor, then you can simply slide the plate up and down. his comments on how hard it is to cut the corners square indicate the lack of skill on the tech who cut his apertures, I have cut a few hundred now and after the first few find them quite easy. The problem mentioned with the dowser plates are usually caused by them being incorrectly adjusted and the bottom of the plate is in the light beam for the entire feature. The dusting problems mention are not confined to Christie, and is normally with the early Kodak 2383 stock, Kodak now seem to have solved this. The last point that I think I should mention is the problems with the sound heads. It would seem that Joe is not aware that he is reviewing an early model sound head? That is like a when Ford releases a new model the motoring reviewer reviews A "T" modle, so I think you owe it to the readers to review the latest in the product range and not an old model. The problems mentioned with the airpot were correct, but a simple airpot stop fixes that. With the latest updates I have no problems with the SRD. The comment about the DRAS also leave me wondering, I have not had these problems with the new sound heads, it seems that you have end play in your lateral guides or some other mechanical problems. It is true that Christie have had many problems but I can't agree that they do't offer any backup. We are about 10,000 miles away and can get what we wan't in a few days. Joe also mentioned that Christie will not post in a public forum like this, true, but I have not yet seen Dolby, Kinoton, Cinemacannica, Pennywise and many others responding to this group. My final comment is you should shoot who is ever doing your service and replace him with someone who is even just slightly competent and I think most of your troubles will go away. So Joe, stick to reviewing the film retainers and such as you seem to have a better understanding of these. Regards David

Kevin Crawford
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-05-2000 01:01 PM      Profile for Kevin Crawford   Email Kevin Crawford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would like to point out that the infamous Ken (of the Ken and Lonny switch on the SA 10) has posted here before. Check out the CP 650 thread.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 08-05-2000 02:30 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmmmm.... Almost sounds as if Bevan wrote your post, David.

As for the SR-D readers, Christie refuses to send us the update, even though I consistently mention the problems we have been having with the current models for the last 2 and a half years. Since the beginning, they have wanted us to pay for the center pivots. Not gonna do that!

If you read my review, you would have seen that as far as print shedding was concerned, one of the prints in question had MUCH reduced shedding upon going to another theater with different projectors. Please read the entire review next time. Christie always blamed Kodak as well.

It is interesting that I have received many e-mails agreeing with the review, as well as the posts on this thread. So is everybody but you incompetant? My guess is no. You are the only one so far to disagree. I certainly can't please everybody all the time, and that is not my goal. Sorry if the review burned ya.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-05-2000 05:32 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I must chime in here, as I can vouch for the background on the Christie review.

David, if some company makes a product and it doesn't work and then they make a revision so it WILL work, it should be their responsibility to cough up and admit their first effort was a bust and should supply everyone who purchased the inferior version with the update free of charge. Christie did NOT do that. It is important you understand Joe was not reviewing the Christie projector with all of the upgrades, bells and whistles. He was reviewing what he had access to. Sadly, that is what far too many people have to work with, so in that matter his review is right on target.

If Christie had've cared enough about their customers, Joe would've had a booth full of updated projectors and readers to work with. However, that is not what happened. Christie refused to admit fault on their product, would not replace the defective items, and would not even send one of their own techs out to the site to "prove" that their equipment was not at fault. That is what Joe reviewed. Hopefully Christie will learn to take care of their customers a little bit better or reports like this one will continue to pop up and word will spread. Why would anyone buy a product if it was known that the company did not support even just one of their customers? I certainly wouldn't and I feel Joe's review was justified. Just because he didn't "bench test" the machine doesn't mean that his review was not dead accurate.

Remember, the whole point of his reviews is to test regular assembly line products (not specially tweeked ones) in REAL theaters (again, not a special situation) and to explain how reliable and well the product performed. Customer service and product support is a very important part of that too. Surely you will agree.

David Johnson
Film Handler

- posted 08-05-2000 09:48 PM      Profile for David Johnson   Email David Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad, yes I agree with what you say but like Joe I can only speak as we find things, we too have had problems with Christie but have allways had a good respose, I think that they have sent a rep down now on 3 occaions which I am sure you agree is a long way to come and we have always found them willing to supply upgrades when they have been availiable.
David

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: