Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Super Light Speed Server!!

Author Topic: Super Light Speed Server!!
Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-31-2000 08:52 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, I finally get to test the speed of my DSL connection, and I must say that being able to load Joe's review of the Christie whatchamacallit in 8 seconds is way cool. Manuals and all stuff now come in at light speed. Those out there with a T-1 line hold on and buckle yourselves in...........man does this place fly...........

Mark

|  IP: Logged

Tom Kroening
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-31-2000 09:07 PM      Profile for Tom Kroening   Email Tom Kroening   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would have to agree. Currently getting 133 KB/sec on the Imax Mpeg! Not bat at all

Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-31-2000 09:18 PM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Even on my dialup, this thing is cruising.

Thanks and a Way To Go to Brad and all.

You guys rock!

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-31-2000 09:31 PM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Guys! WebTV is even faster now!

I thought this day would never end. I wanted this site back up and running. I was not having withdrawl symptoms, but they were coming shortly.

George Roher
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-31-2000 10:01 PM      Profile for George Roher   Email George Roher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Film-Tech is definitely faster now, and nicer without those banner ads. Thanks Brad

Kevin Crawford
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-31-2000 10:27 PM      Profile for Kevin Crawford   Email Kevin Crawford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad, do you even have time for a job? Seems like you put quite a bit into doing this.

Or are you just waiting for the film guard patent, and going to live the good life on the profits?

By the way, a damn fine job on the new server.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 07-31-2000 10:46 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Everything runs fine, here in Modem-Only Land! No DSL, No cable, No ISDN. And nobody plans to install anything in the next 1-2 years!

We've got lots of cows, though. And the town zoning board has forced most people to get rid of the old junk cars from their yards. There's still a few wash machines on the front porch, yet.

Seriously, I downloaded Tim's video in about 40 minutes. For ME that's good!

Heck! when you flush the toilet the modem cuts out! I'm serious! Anything electrical turning on creates a surge, or something. I've replaced about 2/3 of the phone lines with CAT-5. (My connections are much improved) The rest are burried in the walls. It'll take a while.

Enough silliness... The server does connect faster, yes.

Martin Frandsen
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-01-2000 02:41 AM      Profile for Martin Frandsen   Email Martin Frandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Started my PC up this morning and guess what?.....Film-tech is back on-line! sure did miss you, nice to have you back! BTW this site loads at supersonic speed all the way to Denmark!

PS nice that the ugly banners are gone, good work Brad!

Oscar Neundorfer
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-01-2000 06:21 AM      Profile for Oscar Neundorfer   Author's Homepage   Email Oscar Neundorfer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations Brad!!

The new server is indeed quick, and the new look is very nice, too.

It is amazing how one can miss something like this forum when it is down for even a little while. And, yes, for those who may be wondering, I DO have a life. I just enjoy the exchange of information that goes on here. I have learned so much here, and it is certainly one of the best cinema resources around.

I have one suggestion. On other forums that use the same software as this forum, on each topic in the list, after the topic title, there is a page list if the topic exceeds one page in length. With this you can go directly to page 2 or 3, etc. without having to go through page one first. This is very convenient if you have been following a long topic.

Thanks so much for removing the banner ads. I wish you great success in hosting other sites to pay for this site.

Best regards,

------------------
Oscar Neundorfer
Chief Engineer
SMART Devices, Inc.

oscar@smartdev.com

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 08-01-2000 08:02 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The improvements are . Thanks to Brad, Scott, and those who put their hearts and souls into the site.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-01-2000 08:38 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Oscar,

That is hacked code you are seeing on other forums using this software. I have considered installing the hack, but haven't had the time with everything else going on.

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-01-2000 01:26 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've noticed tremendous increases in the speed of the loading of the contents of the forums. The several-second delay in displaying the messages in a forum is gone and they pop up instantaneously. I was going to test the download speed of the training video spoof (24M), since we have a connection to the higher bandwidth Internet 2 here, but the link did not work.

I've noticed that some links on this site do not allow right-clicking to save the file that the link points to if Internet Explorer is used, but Netscape on an Silicon Graphics UNIX box will let me do it. For example, the Christie Troubleshooting joke manual could not be downloaded and printed unless I used Netscape on an SGI. Using Internet Explorer, I got "Sorry, this feature has been disabled." I'd never seen that before. Netscape didn't have a problem with it. Any idea what causes this? Some of the PCs here do not have an assigned printer, and it is convenient to download the PDF file itself and ftp it to a UNIX machine to print.

I know that Internet Explorer has bugs, and the most recent version even broke my lightning animator that had been trouble-free for about 2 years. Web site design is a challenge these days because there is at least one version of one browser that something will not work on!

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-02-2000 01:12 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
>Using Internet Explorer, I got "Sorry, this
>feature has been disabled."

It's a little piece of java "paranoid code" that is targeted to IE. Usually it's placed to attempt to thwart picture-stealers, but it's easily run around by anyone who wants to do that.

Netscape has always been the most stoneage headache browser to write for, anti-IE bias is usually just familiarity issues or Gates-phobia. It looks like the new Netscape version has decided to join the rest of civilization.

There's a chart accessible from WebMonkey http://hotwired.lycos.com/webmonkey/
which shows how vexing it can be to code for all browsers.

Hey, Scott: There are no urns on this site! Are you hoarding them all for your basement theater? Greedy, greedy.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-02-2000 01:45 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Evans,

We've been working on the manual downloads and that coding error has been corrected already on the manual page. I was not aware of the problem with the video downloads page, but I have just corrected that as well.

Internet Explorer has many, many problems with it's browser. The biggest problem is with surfing a continuing set of changing pages, like this forum. With Netscape you can go into edit/preferences/advanced/cache and set it to check "every time" it goes to a page, thus making the use of the "reload" button a thing of the past. Even if you only used Netscape for the forum, it would be well worth your time to download it from www.netscape.com

The site went through some major reorganization and I'm still tracking down little errors I've made. If anyone notices any broken links or problems using the site, please drop me an email so I can see to it that it gets fixed a.s.a.p. I will often not notice problems with IE, as I use Netscape to check the site. IE has too many cacheing problems to use it for proofing.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: