Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Where Have All The Trailers Gone?

Author Topic: Where Have All The Trailers Gone?
Jonathan M. Crist
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-31-2000 08:49 PM      Profile for Jonathan M. Crist   Email Jonathan M. Crist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As a small, second run, single screen independent operator, I am amused by the posts complaining of the number of trailers that a first run theatre must run or the fact that as many as five additional trailers are sometimes included "in the cans".

I would be tickled pink to open a can and find five trailers inside. At least I would have something to run. Every print that I receive second run has any attachments stripped off and nothing ever in the cans.

About a year ago when Technicolor took over National Screen they quietly began expanding a second run policy which had been initiated by Warner Brothers in early 1999 ..... they will not take orders for trailers or posters from second run theatres until the pictures are playing or have cleared the first runs. By that time, of course, there is very little printed material left and usually no trailers.

Meanwhile I know the first runs have lots of posters and trailers which end up either being thrown away or auctioned on ebay.... while many small theatres repeatedly go without. I more and more find myself having to buy posters at Suncoast Video just to have something to put up!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Where you stand on an issue depends upon
where you sit!

|  IP: Logged

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 07-31-2000 09:37 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most of our trailers go into a box which the people from our dollar theatre come up an "raid" every couple of weeks. What they don't take either gets sent to another dollar theatre in Ohio or sent back to the company who sent them to us in the first place.

(I have noticed that if you send them back you'll suddenly get a burst of new stuff from that company. Maybe it's coincidence.)

As to taking the attached trailers off, we have to do that for two reasons:
1) We have to put in our Image (policy) trailers, etc.

2) Many times a trailer will 'debut' on a certain film but will be requested to play on other films after that. It could be the only copy we have. Of course when the movie of that preview comes out, the original print has already left. They go into the box. (see above.)

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 07-31-2000 09:39 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We're an independent second run house also. Fairly often our prints arrive with trailers attached, but by the time films are second run, nobody wants to see trailers for long ago released films, so we very rarely run them. When we do, patrons bitch about them

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-31-2000 10:14 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always try to re-attach the attached trailer when I send a print back. As far as sending trailers back to the companies, only if they pay shipping, otherwise they go in 'the box.'

Now, tommorrow night when I go into work I'll take stock of what we have laying around and post a list here for you. I'll send them to you if you pay shipping.

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 07-31-2000 10:20 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bill Said:

"by the time films are second run, nobody wants to see trailers for long ago released films, so we very rarely run them. When we do, patrons bitch about them"

Back in the 80s I worked in a dollar house, and avoided running any trailers, although the boss forced us to run all attached trailers (no removing them) UNLESS it was for a film we have already played.

I preferred to NOT run any trailers (attachments included) because it looked really stupid playing trailers that had voiceovers and tags (which were difficult to edit because of the soundtrack on them) that said 'Coming This Christmas' and we were playing the trailers in MARCH... Audiences would giggle and snicker... ugh...

Aaron

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-01-2000 02:37 AM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jon - I think you've misinterpreted my posts. I'm more or less astonished at the number being enclosed. It's kind of annoying when I try all week to get ahold of a trailer for MANDATORY placement, and then, low and behold, when I've given up all hope, here comes the trailer in the can w/ the print. Is there a definitive source where I can find out ahead of time exactly what's coming w/ the prints?

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-01-2000 02:38 AM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All of my old trailers and posters and mylars get shipped off to our 5-screen dollar house in Ames, IA. Cinemark has a good system of rotating their stuff to their dollars.

Tom Ferreira
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-01-2000 06:58 AM      Profile for Tom Ferreira   Email Tom Ferreira   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
IME, though an expensive subscription, lists attached and enclosed trailers in every newsletter. Their website is www.IMEonlne.com
By the way, I always send back the trailers with the print.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-01-2000 05:16 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't understand why the film companies don't just let "all" theatres, large and small, subscribe to an "automatic" mailing for new trailers. Each theatre could sign up according to the number of screens they have. Theatres who were "delinquent" on film rental would be suspended from service. This could easily be done via the internet, even.

A thing like this would get all of us the trailers we need.

Instead, the companies are content to throw trailers out seemingly at random, many of which never see the light of Xenon.

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-02-2000 12:45 AM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doh! Forgot to make that list. I work again this afternoon, promise I will do it then.

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-02-2000 04:14 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Trailers:

Road Trip 3 Flat
What Lies Beneath 3 Flat, 3 Scope
Small Time Crooks 1 Flat, 1 Scope
Thomas and the Magic Railroad
Tsr 3 Flat
Final 4 Flat 1 Scope
Flintsones in Viva Rock Vegas 1 Flat
The Skulls 1 Flat
Screwed 2 Flat 1 Scope
Gladiator Tsr 3 Flat 2 Scope
American Phsyco 1 Flat 1 Scope
Magnolia Final 2 Flat
Nutty Proffessor 2 Tsr 3 Flat
Price of Glory 2 Scope 2 Flat
Chicken Run
Tsr 1 Flat 1 Scope
Ver 1 1 Flat
Ver 2 1 Flat 2 Scope

Now Jonathon gets first dibs since he's the one that asked first. Remember, I'll only send them if you pay shipping. As long as your registered at FilmTech I'll trust you to send the check. And please, no collectors, the second runs need these more than you do.

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 08-02-2000 08:46 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am able to get hoards of previews. Just make friends with the depot people (ets, NOT TES!!!) as well as other theater booth managers. Its amazing what you can come up with.

Dave

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: