Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Old Projectionist Notes

Author Topic: Old Projectionist Notes
Greg Anderson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-27-2000 10:46 AM      Profile for Greg Anderson   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If anyone has old notes to projectionists in their archives somewhere, there are some I'm looking for to help out a writer friend of mine.

I'm seeking the projectionists notes for the following:

The Fly (1986)
Buckaroo Banzai (1984)
The Sicilian (1987)
Baby: Secret of the Lost Legend (1985)
Enemy Mine (1985)
Highlander (1986)

Any help would be appreciated, of course.

|  IP: Logged

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-10-2000 12:43 AM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you mean notes regarding parts of the movie that might appear unusual? "Galaxy Quest" came with an explanation of how the movie starts in the TV aspect ratio, opens up to 1.85 and then goes to 2.35. "Horse Whisperer" did something similar.
I've always wondered if "Gremlins II" came with anything telling you not to be alarmed at that part in the middle where they simulate the film getting caught and melting?

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 09-10-2000 11:22 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tex Avery's "Magical Maestro" had a gag where a hair appeared at the bottom of the screen and danced around for a minute or so, while the main character was doing his thing on-screen. After a while, the music stopped, the character walked to the edge of the frame and "PING!", plucked the hair out and tossed it aside.

MGM later included a note in the can with this cartoon, after early screenings found projectionists futily trying to blow the hair out of their projector gates.

------------------
Better Projection Pays!

Greg Anderson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-10-2000 03:42 PM      Profile for Greg Anderson   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Jesse, those are the kinds of letters to projectionists we're interested in.

I recall one from 1982 asking projectionists to keep the masking curtains open to 2.35 when running E.T. in stereo... unless you were certain that your masking material was acoustically transparent.

Paul Cunningham
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-11-2000 08:34 AM      Profile for Paul Cunningham   Email Paul Cunningham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can definitely say that our prints of Galaxy Quest and Gremlins 2 did not come with any warnings. We are second run so maybe those multiplex popcorn shovellers thought it was too much work to put them back in the box. I gave birth to a duck during Gremlins 2 as I was still in training and didn't know what was happening. For Galaxy Quest I just thought "this is rather odd, scope lens selected, characters appear in proportion, large black areas at edge of screen, hmmm"

Paul

Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-12-2000 09:19 AM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As far as forums notes are concerned, there was a previous thread that was running about this.

Specifically search for Fight Club, Gremlins.

Paul.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: