Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Non Sync on CP500

Author Topic: Non Sync on CP500
Travis Cape
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-26-2000 05:59 AM      Profile for Travis Cape   Email Travis Cape   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We just upgraded from mono to Dolby Digital last week. I am having a great time so far, except for the house music. We still have a curtain so I have always had trouble with the horns getting through the curtain. I played a mono CD and tried to balance the left and right channels but this seems to result in a terribly muddy sound when the curtain is closed. So far, I have adjusted the right channel down to nearly nothing and it sounds OK. It sounds kind of like the mono before. Does anyone have any suggestions with this?

|  IP: Logged

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-26-2000 06:29 AM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello.

It was a big improvement... From Mono to Dolby Digital

The first CP500 I saw had the sk7 set to "Non-Sync" format. In that way Subwoofer and surrouns are disabled and the sound come in Stereo from left and right channels.

If you build a custom format, you can reach a better result.
I didn't understand very well how it works exactly but if you set "Pro Logic" I don't remember where (I don't have a Cp500 here!)you will hear almost all sound coming from center channel and surrounds will start playing. I think that with a Dolby encoded CD also right and left channels can play something...
Otherwise if you set "Lt/Rt" (or similar) you will hear left and right channel playing stereo music whit active surrounds.

Then you can enable the subwoofer output cut from 50 to 180 (If I remember correctly) Hertz and with or without +10dB gain.

For better "Dolby" performance I think you should set the left and right input on cat 681 so that a CD can boost the graphic equalizer up to 0Db. In that case probably you have to turn down the master volume.
I can't use this settings since when you press "Mute" to fade out the house music if the fader is not 5 or higher the fade out is not very good...

Hope to put not too much syntax errors...

Bye

Antonio

Ari Nordström
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-26-2000 11:14 AM      Profile for Ari Nordström   Email Ari Nordström   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had the same problem when we installed a CP500. I disliked the Pro-Logic alternative for many reasons. For one thing, not all CDs can be played with acceptable results in matrixed mode, especially when the screen channels are hidden behind a curtain and the resulting sound is muffled. Also, it was important to define a _screen_ format for non-sync with no surround channels, since we sometimes need to plug in external sound sources (DAT, mixer board, etc) for special occasions.

The solution was to plug in an external equalizer between the CD player and the CP500 and compensate for the curtain. This solution works extremely well. I made a custom format with L, R, and the subwoofers and made up a nice non-sync curve using my ears (and a couple of CDs well known to me). If you want a more professional approach and have the gear for it (RTA and mic), there are CDs available with pink noise.

The equalizer was a used 2x10 band Yamaha that I got for almost no money at all. You don't really need anything fancier than that.

We've received many compliments from our patrons for the non-sync sound. In fact, the non-sync sound is often better than the actual movie sound since we primarily show old movies.

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 07-26-2000 03:36 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree, non-sync of any kind sounds like crap when it has to go thru a thick curtain.

With a CP500 you should have the option to create a custom format that would let you route the non-sync L&R channels to the LS and RS channels, giving you clearer nonsync without the mud that the curtain provides...

Aaron

Travis Cape
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-26-2000 04:31 PM      Profile for Travis Cape   Email Travis Cape   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think I'll try both of the approaches. We had a EV equalizer in our old sound system. It should be easy enough to patch it into the CD player and the CP500. I did build my own format on Non Sync 2, in case I messed it up! It sounds much better, but could use some more help.

Ari Nordström
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-26-2000 04:47 PM      Profile for Ari Nordström   Email Ari Nordström   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What I found when creating a through-the-curtain non-sync curve was that I needed to raise 2k, 4k, 8k and 16k quite a bit. The 4k area is pretty sensitive in our auditorium, though, so I had to be really careful there. How much you need to compensate for the curtain depends on its thickness, of course.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: