Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Cinefocus Gate for AA-2

Author Topic: Cinefocus Gate for AA-2
Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-23-2000 10:10 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's an interesting thing. I aquired this AA-2 this weekend. The machine was originally installed at the Seattle Cinerama Theater. Someone custom made this gate assy for it. Check out the pictures. The runner is a Century JJ with the filler pieces in between the rails. The rest of it is all custom made but very high quality. Apparently they used Jet Arcs in the theater originally.

I'd like to know if anyone has ever seen a DP-70 or AA-2 modified this way. Seems like a great idea if a large lamphouse is utilized. Too bad they're not still being used at the Cinerama!!!?????
Mark

|  IP: Logged

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 07-24-2000 10:58 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

I take it a blower (or a "sucker", really) connected to the silver tube, but what went where the square cutout and (what looks like) 4 screw holes are?

Also, (if I understand the design) this will only work if the lens holder can stay where it is. IE, if a different focal length lens required you to move the holder, that flange thing would have to be extended (or shortened) to match?

Also, I guess the lens had to be "screwed" forward (with the focusing knob) to get the trap out. Not really a problem, as it can easily be cleaned in place (probably preferred since I've seen many intermittent sprockets nicked by not aiming that assembly in when installing.)

Was there a similar set-up for 35mm?

If they had painted the place where the tube goes in, you would swear it was part of the original projector design

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 07-24-2000 11:36 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many years ago I cut a hole in the door plexiglass on the AA2 's at Cinesphere and put a blower blowing in between the lens and the trap and stopped all the focus drifting
I will get a picture for it later

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-24-2000 01:21 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A neoprene gasket goes between the gate assembly and the lens mount. Thats the exact same way it's done on a JJ. I assume a small plexi window was on the side to seal it off and still give you a view for checking framing. With the two sealed as in the JJ, one can focus as normal, and change lenses. Note that the crack along the lens adaptor has to be sealed with a strip of rubber too. A standard Cinefocus blower can then be utilized(CINEFOCUS DOES WORK WELL TOO!). This was only done on the 70mm gate assy. I plan on doing a complete restoration on the machine and using it in a home screening room I plan on building over the winter. I don't plan on using Cinefocus at home though as I will probably only use a 1wk lamp on it.
The Teccon head looks brand new,like it might have had one run of a film on it. This is a later AA-2, single motor machine, not an older DP-70 2 motor job. The entire machine should clean up and look like new when I'm done with it. Due to its heritage at the Seattle Cinerama I'm really glad to have it here.
Mark
Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: