Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Question on Strong A3 Platter system

Author Topic: Question on Strong A3 Platter system
Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-22-2000 04:50 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Recently I replaced the old phase control boxes on the brains for our Strong A3 platters with new ones that stay in adjustment better. The old one were adjusted with a hex key and the new ones use the LED/Photo-cell combo. The new ones work great-except in one platter deck. This deck as always (at least as long as I've been working here) run a little "heavy." It seems to have a lot more drag than any other deck. Even when the clutch is disengaged it won't spin completely freely. The old brains could handle this pretty well but the new ones tend to spin too slowly in the beginning and then fine towards the middle and end. I have tried every adjustment possible to get the new phase control boxes to work on this deck to no avail.

Any ideas? *looks at Pat*

|  IP: Logged

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-22-2000 05:01 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Platter deck bearings are probably going bad. Also check motor speed adjustment and make sure the motor drive tire clears the deck when disengaged. Is the deck center post grease dried out/gunked up?

Pat Moore
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-22-2000 07:10 PM      Profile for Pat Moore   Email Pat Moore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
*Looks at who?* Oh...
Anyway, I'd be surprised if the bearings on the platter itself are that caked up but it's worth a look as Ken suggests. More likely the motor adjustment is too high up against the platter disk. If it's up too tight, the platter runs slower and vice versa. The nominal adjustment is 3/8" clearance with the motor disengaged, but the best way is to "time" the platters.
Put a mark on one edge of each platter -- piece of masking tape, whatever. Use the make up table and run each platter at the same time in make-up mode to warm up -- not fast enough to blow a fuse, but maybe a normal running speed. Then reduce speed to a rate that's easy to count revolutions without getting dizzy. Chances are that the problem platter is the slowest one of the three. Lower that motor's position until it runs the same speed as the other platters. As long as they are all close in speed things should run well. Problem usually comes from one platter running too fast or slow compared to its mates.
Hope that helps, let me know...

Pat

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-22-2000 07:45 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Pat, will try Sunday or Tuesday night and get back to you.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: