Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » ERNEMANN 15

Author Topic: ERNEMANN 15
Per Hauberg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-22-2000 03:22 PM      Profile for Per Hauberg   Author's Homepage   Email Per Hauberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Ernemann 15 projector is currently being offered for the first time on the danish market. -Have anyone any experience with these machines...?

Per

|  IP: Logged

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 07-22-2000 03:29 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Look back to a posting on 12-16-1999 under the title Ernemann 15.

Stefan Scholz
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-22-2000 05:03 PM      Profile for Stefan Scholz   Author's Homepage   Email Stefan Scholz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Works. We were running a very early one in our Kiel theatre. Worked trouble free for 5 years. Had to close the place due to lease termination, as selling beer and food seemed to be more attractive to the owners than arthouse films.

Martin Frandsen
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-23-2000 07:54 AM      Profile for Martin Frandsen   Email Martin Frandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is the Ernemann projector the one that has the supplie and take-up reel mounted horizontally on the projector?

------------------
It's the new small talk. You do it so awfully well! - My Fair Lady

Stefan Scholz
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-23-2000 10:55 AM      Profile for Stefan Scholz   Author's Homepage   Email Stefan Scholz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The one with the horizontal reels, the "helicopter" type, was called Ernamann 12 and was made during the infamous 1970's. It is, due to bad electrical control and many design flaws not very famous. Even though the projector mechanism itself has not been too bad.
The Ernamann 15 has 12000 ft spools on both sides, the sidewinder version, or 6000 ft as usual projectors. The US market normally only uses the projector head, and mounts it to a console. It was the first commercial projector to use laser optical pickup.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 07-23-2000 11:40 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe the actual mechanism of the 12 and the 15 is the same only the turret and gate assembluies are different
We had many of the 12T running here in toronto for years

Florian Pausch
Film Handler

- posted 07-24-2000 05:03 PM      Profile for Florian Pausch   Email Florian Pausch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello everybody,
I am technician/projectionist of the Austrian Film Archive, longtime reader and now new user...
Ernemann 15 is an excellent projector but has two problems:
1. construction of the base is not really the best quality - I have heard of many problems with vibrations causing picture unsteadiness.
2. You won´t be able to show silent films in the original aperture, because the diameter of the shutter is not big enough! (which was in fact the reason, that we did not buy one of them)
One big goal the projector has, is the opportunity to install a unit for 16 mm, which uses the same light source and optical axis (including anamorphic lens, for one of the worst formats I have ever worked with)
So long
Flo

------------------

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 08-15-2000 05:29 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone attempted to replace the gate and trap of an ernamann 12 with the new one from the 15?
I have several 12's in the warehouse I was thinking of resurecting
Also can it be run directly off the 3phase mains with out the control box
What is the problem with the shutter and silent appertures
I know one lab that was looking at useing some 15's for super35

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: