Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Slide/effects projector: make (and manuals?)

Author Topic: Slide/effects projector: make (and manuals?)
William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-22-2000 03:48 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can anyone ID this circa 1927 slide/effects projector?

If anyone's got a manual, it would be super.

There's one being progressively destroyed in the booth of a theater, & I'm wondering about whether it would be worth trying to resurrect it.

It looks sort of like the Byrd's Brenograph, but not exactly. The newspaper story from when the theater opened stated the booth had an effects projector with effects that sounded similar to the Byrd's. The booth has a couple of ca. 1927 Brenkert carbon arc follow-spots, etc., & other nifties; but I think the original movie projectors were Simplex.

I'm ashamed to show you a picture of what the one in the booth looks like now; it looks like the scarecrow in the Wizard of Oz after the flying monkeys got hold of it.

The lamphouses may be missing from it also, I was wondering if they could be replaced by the cans from some small old stage fresnel spots.

|  IP: Logged

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-22-2000 11:07 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It sure looks like a Brenkert Master Brenograph to me. Look on the Manuals Download page for the Brenkert Catalog # 26. It has some info on this machine.

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 07-24-2000 09:08 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks pretty much like a variation on our Master Brenograph Model F7. Our Brenograph is in excellent condition and in use every night for screen ads.

Robert Throop
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-25-2000 08:12 AM      Profile for Robert Throop   Email Robert Throop   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe it's an F3 Brenograph, a predesessor to the F7.
About 1980 I visited the booth of the Pyramid Place Imax theatre in Niagara Falls,
Canada. They had an F7 that had been converted to xenon. They were using small Cinemeccanica lamphouses (450 or 900 watt).
They were using it for preshow slides. I wonder if it's still there?

David Johnson
Film Handler

- posted 07-27-2000 11:30 PM      Profile for David Johnson   Email David Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Plaza Theater in Melbourne once had one that looked just like that, it was called a "Chicago"?
David

Robert Throop
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-28-2000 08:41 AM      Profile for Robert Throop   Email Robert Throop   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chicago Cinema made an effect projector that was very similar to the Brenkert. The pedestal for the CC was enclosed, sort of a small version of the Simplex LL1.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: