Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Smart Mod II-C is NOT meant for Rap Music

Author Topic: Smart Mod II-C is NOT meant for Rap Music
Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 07-20-2000 11:15 AM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So here I am back in the great state of Utah and back in Salt Lake. My company has taken over a theater that was supposed to close and maybe should have closed, but I have a soft spot for this particular place, since I have been going there for the last 20 years.

They have a Smart Mod II-C processor for thier DTS system, and at one point was mixed rather well. However they apparently remixed it so thier rap music would sound great. Now the movies suck. Well they suck anyway, but the sound it just horrible. And the subwoofer is disconnected to boot. You think you would want it hooked up dont you think?

I have a talented ear to remix it and will do so tonight. Maybe when I can afford it I can get it eq'd properly. At least it will sound better anyway.

Oh yeah, then theres the mary jane I found in the cooling duct. You know there is nothing like the feeling of terminating an entire staff all at once. Of course there is nothing like working 90 hours a week just so you dont have to pay anyone.

Dave

|  IP: Logged

Oscar Neundorfer
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-20-2000 12:19 PM      Profile for Oscar Neundorfer   Author's Homepage   Email Oscar Neundorfer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, Dave,

You are so right! MOD IIC's don't do RAP music very well. I once knew someone who used Pink Floyd instead of Pink Noise. I heard it wasn't too good either. I personally always use old country music (Tammy Wynette, Patsy Cline, George Jones, etc) to set up my MOD IIC's. They work great with that!

Of course if the staff was using TOO much MJ, then ANYTHING would probably sound OK

Best regards,

------------------
Oscar Neundorfer
Chief Engineer
SMART Devices, Inc.

oscar@smartdev.com

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 07-20-2000 02:00 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only way to reset the system is with the smart pink noise card and a good multiplexed RTA
Any other way is preferance only

Oscar Neundorfer
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-20-2000 06:47 PM      Profile for Oscar Neundorfer   Author's Homepage   Email Oscar Neundorfer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But seriously now, I have to agree with Gordon. Get a GOOD tech with the proper equipment to come in and set everything up corectly. You will be amazed how good it will sound when properly done.

Call me if I can help. 1-800-457-6278

Best regards,

------------------
Oscar Neundorfer
Chief Engineer
SMART Devices, Inc.

oscar@smartdev.com

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 07-21-2000 12:56 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oscar Said:

"Get a GOOD tech with the proper equipment to come in and set everything up corectly. You will be amazed how good it will sound when properly done."

And FIRE any employees that think they can just come in and monkey with the EQ and amp levels so they can blast their music be it rap, metal, country whatever... the sound system is for MOVIES, not employees music...

Aaron

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 07-22-2000 02:27 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hate rap music.

Thank you.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 07-22-2000 08:27 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, but it's probably better that he EQ by ear until he gets a tech, then to leave it the way it is.

I heard that transistors don't work right when playing rap music. Something about their characteristic curve being destroyed. Hey, that's just what I heard....

Actually, I didn't mind rap when it first hit the mainstream (1983 or so?) and for several years after. Some songs (I thought) made interesting social statements. But then it disintegrated to the "Gangsta" style (...kill all the cops..) That's when I started to hate it.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-22-2000 08:48 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps they should fire the theater owner over this one!!
Mark

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 07-23-2000 05:28 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thats my plan mark. His lease runs out at the end of the year and he is not renewing it. The mall has no interest in doing business with him. However they have been talking with me and are impressed with what I have in mind. I am working a deal to purchase whats left of the equipment. I also will probably take over another building in the next month or so. A lot of work but it will be worth it in the long run. I hope to be running at least one operation as a sub run/classic run combo house with beer and the like.

I know I have the pink noise generator around somewhere, just need to get to it, you wouldnt happen to have some kind of really expensive equipment to help me eq this damn thing would you?

Dave

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-23-2000 08:27 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sure Dave, Just give me a call......
Mark

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-26-2000 07:09 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Dave,
I'm still waiting for you to call..........
Would be happy to help you out.
Mark

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 07-27-2000 11:46 AM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry Mark, Still looking for the pink noise generator. Looks like it may have gone bye bye. I myself am a bit burned out and are going to take a break for a few days.... that means i wont beat anyone up for sneaking in ho ho's this week.

dave

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 07-27-2000 11:53 AM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Besides missing the pink noise generator, I also need to rewire the subwoofer, and remount the center high frequency horn. Oh these kids....

dave

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-27-2000 03:12 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Dave..........I have the pink noise generator! Really!
Mark

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 07-29-2000 01:33 AM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark,

I will be tearing into that theater next week and rewiring two of the speakers, one of which is the sub. Once I have that complete I will give you a call. I would like to get it eq'd the week after next.

I also have an auditorium that is powered (haha) by a dolby cp50. I am replacing the entire sound head (totally fried out, gears are shot, solar cell gone) and then I am also replacing the speakers as well. Any chance you could help me with that unit as well? Would want to do it at about the same time.

Dave

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: