Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » CFS Rentec Platetrs and consoles

Author Topic: CFS Rentec Platetrs and consoles
Frank A. Phillips
Film Handler

- posted 07-18-2000 06:58 PM      Profile for Frank A. Phillips   Email Frank A. Phillips   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone used or is using these ESP 3 platters and the Rentec console? Please be gentle with this firt time post. Actually, since I have no experience with Potts or Christie I have nothing to base an opinion on BUT we are always adjusting the "brain" on the platters. Howsabout keeping the consoles igniting on a fairly regular and dependable basis. We use ORC lamps, the power supplies well maintained and the igniters cranky as my last girl Friend!
Thanks for the info.
Frank

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 07-18-2000 07:08 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Problem one is it is CFS RENTEC equipment
THe ORC bulbs are just plain difficult to ignite
The XPS45 style rectifier can't deliver enough no load voltage and current for reliable ignition
try a Osram or Ushio (Christie) lamp

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 07-18-2000 08:25 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I second Gordon's recommendation to avoid using ORC/PerkinElmer bulbs in any CFS console. I am gradually switching the bulbs from ORC to Osram chain-wide and the results are amazing as they always strike the first attempt!

Another thing i don't like about the CFS consoles is they are a BITCH to align, and the reflectors after a time begin to corrode, leaving them more 'frosty' than reflective, and all the cleaning in the world is useless to rectify the problem.

Aaron http://www.cinema-west.com

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-18-2000 09:10 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I've not used those platters, so I cannot comment. However, don't put an ORC bulb in a CFS/Rentec lamphouse. That's just an amazingly bad combination and is definitely your problem. I always had the best luck with OSRAM bulbs in those types of lamphouses with Christies being a good second. No other bulb ever performed in them. On the other hand, ORC bulbs seem to perform well in Xetron lamphouses. Go figure.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 07-18-2000 10:59 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've got ORC in a XeLamp (L.P.Associates) LH. It's got a Strong PS.

It doesn't do too badly. It usually strikes up on the first or second crack.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: