Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Technicolor Screw-up of the Week - The Sequel (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Technicolor Screw-up of the Week - The Sequel
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-15-2000 01:29 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Excuse me for not dredging up the Old topic on this, but the Search link is busted along with the "all active topics" link.

Anyway....the movie: THE PATRIOT.

The film did not show up as of our "window" on Thursday, so I called in. The customer service person said that print is a "self circuit" from a theatre in Livingston....220 miles from me. I am supposed to make pickup or delivery arrangements myself.

I called my booker...he called Sony...within 10 minutes Technicolor called me back "to schedule delivery of 'The Patriot' for 10:00 AM on Friday." OK, fine.

Noon Friday....no film. I called in again. The Tech "rep" said "We have a little problem and have to reschedule your delivery for 6:00 PM." Which is one hour before my show time. She assures me it's the best they can do. (Funny....it takes over 18 hours to move a film 220 miles? Maybe in California, but not in Montana!)

6:00..... no film. At 6:05, I call Technicolor again. The rep says "I'll transfer this to the logistics department and they will call you back immediately."

6:15....no call-back. People start walking in to the lobby.

6:25 ...no film, no call. I call again and basically start ranting; do I sell tickets or not?? They inform me that they are waiting for the driver to answer his "page." What, these people never heard of cell phones???????

6:35 ... no film, no call. I call in again and basically tell them I'm not hanging up until I have some kind of answer. At that moment, the driver pulls up in front of the theatre.

So we were only about 20 minutes late getting on screen, and thank God there were no problems with the film, other than every single reel falling apart, having broken flanges, etc. We gave out free refills on popcorn and soda and everyone was happy.

Still no clue as to whose fault the whole thing was....the driver claimed he got a call at 5:00 saying he had to deliver the film from Billings (100 miles from us). So he had to haul ass to get here when he did.

IS ANYBODY FROM THE STUDIOS READING THIS FORUM?? TECHNICOLOR IS SCREWING UP YOUR BUSINESS!

[Rant mode off, until next week anyway]

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-15-2000 02:40 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Technicolor Entertainment Services is a monopoly. They don't see any reason to change since we are all FORCED to use them. Why should they care? This is the attitude that they have given us. Mr. Tim Mauer of Technicolor has given me this attitude directly. Unless the studios themselves do anything, they will just keep screwing up stuff like that and continue to cut revenue from films on opening weekends when the profit margin is at its highest.

I guess the studios don't care too much, either. After all, it's only money.

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-15-2000 03:04 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Government is supposed to actively seek out and destroy Monopolies like Microsoft.

Go get Technicolor! Sick-um fido!

Ethan Harper
E-dawggg!!!

- posted 07-15-2000 08:17 PM      Profile for Ethan Harper   Email Ethan Harper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i have to order my own trailers. that sux. so every time i had to order trailers or other stuff through technicolor, they havve always told me that they did not have any or they were on backorder or my personal favorite, the studio does not wish for you to recieve a certain amount of something so you cat get it. so i called all of the studios and talked with their exhibitor relations people, explained the situation to them, and pretty much all of them were upset. One i can remember said and i quote. "gaw those stupid people at technicolor, that pisses me off! no we have plenty of those trailers they are just too lazy to process the order. im sorry technicolor does have a bad reputation with lying! what theater are you again? im going to call them right now and fix this problem!" i got every trailer i orderd the next day.

another thing that is kind of annoying, we lsot three movies last wekk so of coourse we are staying late to have them broken down for friday pick up, no one shows. two days later, i get a call saying that they want to pick them up i say "yeah they were ready as of friday morning" they say ok well be out there in 2 days. a week goes by they call again wondering if it was ok if they came and picked up the same prints that they still have not picked up a week before. i said yes. 2 days later (today) they call again wondering if it yet again is it ok to pick up the same three prints that they were asking about a week and a half ago. this time frustrated i said yes you can pick those up i told you this last week 2 times already!"

i agree i think that they are a monopoly but even worse one that does not care whatsoever about prints. when will they ever learn?

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 07-15-2000 08:39 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thats IT!!!! When my film opens up sometime next year... Im a doin my OWN distribution. Screw technicolor...

Im sure I can handle three thousand prints out of my basement.. maybe brad can help...

dave

------------------
"If it's not worth doing, I have allready been there and done it"

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-16-2000 04:24 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Three thousand? Are you making the next big blockbuster or something?

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 07-16-2000 10:35 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A gruesome Technicolor screwup from the UK... A print of THE LAND GIRLD we showed for a week in a screen with Dolby Digital sounded fine. Then, because of a special one-day show, we moved it into another screen which only has SR. Reel 5 was badly out of sync. When I looked at the leader, the sound start mark (the one that should have been on the track alongside the pic start frame) was 19 frames AHEAD of the pic start frame! Therefore the analogue track was almost two seconds out.

The moral of the story? Check all the sound formats on a print you are likely to need.

L

------------------

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 07-17-2000 12:08 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I know you folks disagree with me but I still say that your first run-through screening should be in analog/optical sound.

If one of your digital tracks crap-out, you can switch to another one. Fail that, you can fall-back to analog. Your digital processors will do that automaticaly, anyhow.

The digital tracks can be as messed up as they want but if your analog track is messed up you're screwed!

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-17-2000 12:41 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have Christie basement Dolby Digital readers. So therefore we generally have no choice but to listen to the optical track since the readers do not track well. Unfortunately we can't always switch to "another" digital player since many projectors only are capable of one format or another.

I like to listen in digital mainly to set volume levels. I want to see the movie as the customer sees it. If the optical track is screwed up, we will move the print so it can play elsewhere in digital. I've never known of a bad optical track at my theatre, but I'm sure it has happened.

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 07-17-2000 02:04 AM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Joe I hope so!!! The project has attracted the attention of an overseas investor who has major big bucks! If he puts up I say SCREW TECHNICOLOR YEAH BABY YEAH!!!!!

------------------
"If it's not worth doing, I have allready been there and done it"

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-17-2000 12:32 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anybody ever written a complaint letter about Technicolor to anyone? Film companies? Movie directors? "Parent" companies of film companies?

If so, has anyone gotten any kind of response?

What about NATO? Last year they collected comments on Technicolor...anything ever come of that?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-17-2000 03:13 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Last year I sent a packet (and I do mean a PACKET) of printouts from the forum here as well as other notes concerning the pathetic service and care provided by TES to NATO. Nothing happened and there was no response.

Why even bother keeping such organizations going if they cannot take care of problems? TES is indeed a MAJOR problem.

Christopher Barahona
Film Handler

- posted 07-18-2000 11:22 AM      Profile for Christopher Barahona   Email Christopher Barahona   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Remember when reels didn't fall apart while putting the film on the make-up table? You could almost use some of the reels they sent back when I was running change-overs with carbon arcs.
There seemed to me to be a lot less lab splices that needed repair. You have to wonder how much those lab technicians are making over at technicolor and how many expert technicians have retired or been forced retirement in the last 10-15 yrs.
They have gone way past the point of pissing me off.
A few cans they should have thrown away yrs ago, heads-tail-heads-heads-tail, 14 lab splices to a picture,rotten delivery info,lousy customer service,plastic reels that remind me of Rubiks Cubes after they fall apart...etc.
Dismal.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-18-2000 11:27 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I found a lab splice in a trailer last night. But there were none in our print of Perfect Storm except one in the end-credits. Nice!

Ethan Harper
E-dawggg!!!

- posted 07-18-2000 12:17 PM      Profile for Ethan Harper   Email Ethan Harper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone else have those same white specs on Perfect Storm near the end? I heard that other prints had the same white specs at the same exact scene.

------------------
--"That's my story and i'm sticking to it!"--

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: