Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » X-Men and 1-800-PHONE-THX (Page 1)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Author Topic: X-Men and 1-800-PHONE-THX
Greg Anderson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-15-2000 11:21 AM      Profile for Greg Anderson   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I noticed on the THX web page that X-MEN is listed as an active title in the 1-800-PHONE-THX quality control program. However, when I watched the film (I don't work at a theatre which is showing it) I didn't see a 1-800-PHONE-THX notice in the credits. Was I just not paying attention?

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-15-2000 12:46 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the 800 number-thing is stupid anyway. They put it at the VERY END of the credits so nobody will see it. If they were serious about wanting feedback, they'd put it at the beginning of the movie! (or at least at the beginning of the credits!)

Greg Anderson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-15-2000 02:06 PM      Profile for Greg Anderson   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now you've made me wonder. Could the theatre have removed the THX notice from the credits? After all, it often appears at the end of the credits where the audio is silent. Hmmm. I plan to see the movie again next week at a different theatre, so I'll see if I catch the THX notice there or not.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-15-2000 02:34 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Realistically, at the end of the credits is the only place they can put it. It would be really tacky at the beginning of the credits, and I'm sure the director would get insanely mad.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-15-2000 04:22 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the only effective placement for it would be after the policy/sound logo and before the feature begins. 10 seconds with fade in/out accompanied by silence.

Greg Anderson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-15-2000 04:31 PM      Profile for Greg Anderson   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, but... Did anyone see this notice anywhere on X-Men? I didn't.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-16-2000 04:19 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To be honest, I have not noticed it. But then again, I haven't been looking for it. Call TAP and complain that the theatre cut it off anyway, just to keep them on their toes. All they do is make copies of the same memo again and again to put in film cans anyway.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 07-17-2000 07:25 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our print doesn't have one. It does have the US censorship thing at the end though...I guess they'd all be the same.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 07-17-2000 08:32 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our print does not have it, either. It does have a terrible weave, though, at the end credits.

Ted Costas
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-17-2000 04:36 PM      Profile for Ted Costas   Email Ted Costas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No need to call TAP, we are already on our toes... Yes, there was indeed no PHONE THX end credit on X-MEN. It was one of those "there wasn't enough time to get it on the film" things. X-MEN was an interesting project, because it was also supposed to be in Surround EX... again, not enough time. And it still broke every July box office record... 57.5 million.

Also, regarding placement of the PHONE THX end credit, it has to go at the end of the credits. Politics. And believe it or not, people who care really do stay 'till the end of the scroll. Our first TAP title with the PHONE THX end credit, Die Hard 3, had 63 legitimate calls, all of which TAP followed up on, after the first weekend. It's hard even for me to believe that 63 folks stayed 'till the end of the film, remembered the number, and went home, called, AND GAVE US THE NECESSARY INFORMATION for adequate follow up. I was shocked.

On EP1, TAP got over 3000 calls, most of which were people either telling us how great the movie was or how badly they wanted to kill Jar Jar... Yet, 400 callers gave us THE DETAILS needed for us to follow up. One theatre got 21 calls for the way they butchered the opening, midnight show (a Canadian site).

So the audience IS listening, and watching, too.

And I must say, you guys (here at Film-Tech) don't miss a thing!!!

THXfully Yours, Ted
Manager, THX Theatre Alignment Program

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-17-2000 06:34 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just curious, but what if somebody calls up with a compliment about a theater? The tag says "Call and bitch about this theater" but not "Call and praise this theater if it deserves it". If TAP gets a complimetary call, do they let the theater know? I ask because a few people have told me that they have called TAP about my theater (Mann Chinese 16, Aurora CO) and said good things. I never heard anything from TAP, unless those people were lying or the management just never let us booth guys know.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 07-17-2000 10:32 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe has a good point, but I really feel that the theaters do need policing. In fact, I feel the current way THX monitors theaters should be the *minimum* standard for every theater, with results posted on the internet (like Evans C. does at his site.)

It's true that Techincolor sends crappy reels, and is a big pain in the ass wanting "their" print(s) before anyone else; that the distributors should be flogged for not getting ELR's going; the new silverless soundtracks do very little for the exhibitor; (too) high-speed printing, etc., etc.

But only one idiot, making up and projecting only one show, can (in one swoop); degrade the reputation of the theater; the reputation of projectionists everywhere; ruin a patron's opinion of a film; and damage the print beyond any hope of repair (which is the least important, but still real bad.)

It must be acknowledged that the bulk of problems are at the *theaters,* and are preventable.

Anyone here, reading Brad's site obviously cares about projection, otherwise they wouldn't be here. It's no wonder some people here might feel a little resentment against someone commenting on their work. But, anyone who reads and learns stuff here is not the target.

However, there are waaay too many people who don't know what they are doing- most of them probably well-meaning, but forced into the job by cheap owners.

So, when it come to policing theaters, I think the idea of TAP is good, and should be supported. Bad theaters need to go- we need to put the "pro" back in "projection." (Corny, I know, but....!)

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-17-2000 10:52 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
X-Men not in EX? The theatre I saw it at had an EX trailer on the film.....

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-17-2000 11:41 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Who is Evans C.?

Greg Anderson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-18-2000 01:21 AM      Profile for Greg Anderson   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mr. Costas,

What constitutes a legitimate complaint which TAP would be interested in? For example, if I say that all the Cinemark "Tinseltown" theatres around here have their LFE turned way down (presumably to prevent bleed-through to other auditoriums) does TAP care about that? Would TAP be more concerned about bleed-through or about completely inadequate LFE on a consistent basis?

I saw X-MEN at a Cineplex/Lowes (or whatever it's called now) theatre on Friday and the sound was shrill. It wasn't unbearable, but the E.Q. was still not right. On Monday, I saw the film at a THX-certified Century theatre and the sound was great! Just how much does TAP want to know about the screening I saw on Friday?

When I watched the film on Monday (at the good theatre) I noticed vertical lines in a couple of shots (at the train station when Sabertooth is choking Storm). These light-colored and/or white lines appeared for a moment and then, just as suddenly, they were gone. It looked like a bad print to me and not damage that the projectionist could have caused. Does TAP care about that? Or was that a problem on a number of prints?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: