Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » How many trailers per film? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: How many trailers per film?
Richard Quesnelle
Film Handler

- posted 07-13-2000 08:43 PM      Profile for Richard Quesnelle   Email Richard Quesnelle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What kind of format do most of you guys follow when picking trailers to accompany the print and how many is too many. I put on Hollow Man, Nutty 2, 102 Dalmations + Cast Away and Bedazzled were already on X-men (and I didn't know they were on there until after I was puttin it all together on the platter--no censor bands)

Any info will be of help.

Thanks__Reg

|  IP: Logged

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-13-2000 09:39 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We are a small independent theatre that has trouble getting trailers. We put on what we want, where we want. We never put on more than three. No one can remember more that three, so you're just waisting your time. But we still get people who come in 6 minutes late and ask "has the film started yet?" I always answer that the film started at the posted time.

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-13-2000 11:25 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am required to place 5 previews on every movie, plus screenvision ads, plus policy and sound format. If I had it my way there would be only on screenvision ad no longer than 45 seconds. 3-5 trailers-number depending on length of feature and wether the trailers are teasers or not. But I can't have it my way and end up playing 12-17 minutes of trailers on every movie .

Ethan Harper
E-dawggg!!!

- posted 07-13-2000 11:41 PM      Profile for Ethan Harper   Email Ethan Harper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use to work at a cinemark 20-plex and over there we were reqired to play 5-6 trailers depending on the movie. (sometimes 4 for kids movies) but around 15minutes of trailers plus. we had to play NCN ads and coke ads before the trailers as well. ugh. . sorry, i just dont like those commercials. nm.

Where i am working at right now, we only
play about 10 minutes of trailers. plus no commercial ad trailers . which i am really happy about.

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-13-2000 11:44 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't mind commercial so long as they are well done. The M&M PSA and the Kellogg's 'Floating' commercial's are good examples. The audience thought they were hilarious. But now we're playing a really stupid McDonalds commercial. Uck. Anyway, I don't one or two of the bastards, but 4 or 5 is too much.

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 07-14-2000 02:45 AM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our policy is whenever possible, to run seven to nine minutes of trailers (usually 3-4 trailers including the attached one) per feature.

Aaron
http://www.cinema-west.com

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 07-14-2000 02:46 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We run three trailers if we can and that's pretty standard. If we're pushed for time, we'll run less but our manager does the programmme and knows what we like to run so he programmes to that format. It makes it easier.

We also get to choose which trailers go with what film. The trailer ALWAYS suits the follwing feature.

I agree with Ian...more than three and you're wasting your time.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-14-2000 04:59 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
You're playing that horrible McDonald's commercial too? This thing is incredibly stupid. For those who haven't had the chance to see this magnificent piece of art, the setting is a first date. The two teenagers are smiling and giggling at each other making cheezy talk "what's your middle name? He he he, giggle, giggle, giggle." Then the guy asks if she is hungry and she says that she is. So where does he take her? Well, what better place to impress a date the first time than McDonald's! He doesn't even go in, but hits the drive-through. As Hollywood luck would have it, she orders the same thing he wants, but she decides she doesn't want onions on hers...and the little order screen says "2-no onions", meaning they just screwed up the guy's order! I would expect nothing less.

Lame, just lame. Still though, not quite as bad as that Jeff Yorkes thing Coke was running last year. Oh wait, I guess I should answer the question. We play on average 4 trailers, plus policy and as of this week, commercial ads. Currently there is only one, but I'm sure greed will set in and it'll be extended to 3-5 minutes soon.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 07-14-2000 09:02 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We are right there with Dustin; with an "EXIT" snipe, 4 Screenvision ads, 3 trailers, ,policy trailer, THX snipe, "now our feature" snipe. Comes out to about 15 min. We are running some stupid cheese ad now.

I think that the industry would really like to beat it's patrons away with a stick. But since that's illegal, we run ads.

Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-14-2000 09:38 AM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My theatre (Cinemark) subscribes to the Coke and Technicolor Ads. So it goes Coke, Technicolor (McDonalds, BBC, Farmer's Insurance, VW Cabrio) total time about 5 minutes. New releases during summer runs 5-6
trailers. A couple of times, 7. After first 2 weeks, down to 5. Sound then Policy, aka "Image". That usually runs about 15-20 minutes.

Paul.

Mark Huff
Film Handler

- posted 07-14-2000 10:01 AM      Profile for Mark Huff   Email Mark Huff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I currently work for the dreaded company that Ethan has described (Cinemark). We now have to paly 3 to 4 NCN trailers, Coke trailer, 6 movie trailers, Sound policy, Cinemark Image trailer. All of our trailers are pre selected by our corporate office.

Dave Cutler
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-14-2000 10:46 AM      Profile for Dave Cutler   Email Dave Cutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How many trailers do I run? Way too many. 4 is plenty, never more. Unfortunately my company (AMC) doesn't know that, and insists on running up to 20 minutes of 'pre-show.'

On X-Men for instance I have...

3 NCN Commercials (Air Force, McDonalds, Nike)
Coke Commercial (Refreshing Filmmakers)
Movietickets.com
AMC Previews snipe
6 trailers (I think it was supposed to be 7 but...)
Silence is Golden policy
Feature Presentation snipe

All is all, almost 20 minutes. But I start everything EARLY. I insist that ALL commercials are OVER by the scheduled start time (ie. the AMC preview snipe starts at show time). We run all commercials with full house lights so people can continue seating while watching something.

Personally I think commercials are degrading to my screens. I resent having to stoop to the level of TV. If they insist on running commercials, require them to shoot in 35mm and use digital sound.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-14-2000 05:18 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We run three or four trailers and I make sure they are appropriate for the movie. (No R-movie trailers on a PG feature.) We don't show any ads of any kind except the DTS logo and the Hollywood.com snipe.

[By the way, I HATE THAT HOLLYWOOD.COM BOUNCING BALL THING!!!!!! There, I feel better.]

As far as the "attached" and "enclosed" trailers, they're always missing from our films, so that's not an issue.

I do put on an extra one or two trailers on extra-popular movies to give everyone time to visit the concession stand.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 07-14-2000 07:11 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm playing just about what all the other Cinemarks are playing...

Coke (Refreshing Film Maker)
    Mc Donalds (Big Date)
    Farmer's Ins.
    USAF
    5 - 6 Previews
    Image (Policy)
    DTS/SDDS
    Feature

Here's what **I** say we should do...
Put our collective feet down and say that we'll only play "X" minutes of trailers. (My number for "X" is 10 but that's negotiable.)

If they make all the trailers 30 seconds long then we'll play 20 trailers! If they insist upon making those STUPID 5 minute "Mini-Features", like they did for Titanic, then we'll only play 2.

Second... If they get all the trailer and advetising requests (including the actual film) to us by Monday night at ,say 8PM, we'll have them up by Wednesday at closing. (Or whatever) If they don't then they'll have to wait until WE have time to do it!

It's not about the amount of splicing and film handling. It's about all this "last minute changes" crap they try to pull all the time! Heck! I'll splice-up trailer paks all day if I need to! Just don't go telling us that we have to get the new ads up on the screen by Friday morning when we received them at 6pm on Thurs! -- Sorry, pal! Too late!

Ethan Harper
E-dawggg!!!

- posted 07-14-2000 07:56 PM      Profile for Ethan Harper   Email Ethan Harper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heh Heh Heh! I know exactly what you mean there Randy. .

When I too was at Skinemark. uh im sorry i mean Cinemark, We had to go through the same crap. on top of that, NCN would randomly send one of there people to watch the trailers and make sure that all of their requests are fulfilled. If they weren't, they would yell at us and we would get in trouble. They also gave us a phone call every friday morning to ask what the presghow placement was on all screens. Ugh!

down wit commercials

VIVA LA RESISTANCE!

------------------
--"That's my story and i'm sticking to it!"--

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: