Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Equipment Dealers & Manual Costs??

Author Topic: Equipment Dealers & Manual Costs??
Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-11-2000 08:15 AM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How much is a "reasonable" cost for a dealer to charge a client for an equipment manual?

I've mentioned many times my quest to get my Christie "AW-1" platter up and running. I called Christie customer service directly and they said I could NOT order a manual directly from them. I needed to order it through my "authorized Christie dealer".
Since I don't have a "theater", instead only a basement full of equipment - they directed me to a dealer about 150-200 miles north of Nashville.

The dealer was very reluctant to order the manual for me, stating that it was a waste of his time to even place the order for a manual for a 30 year old platter. He continued to "demean and belittle" my desires to open a drive-in, saying it was more of a waste of time than ordering the manual. He was probably the biggest arrogant jerk I've yet to deal with. Take note: - it will be my last dealings with his company.

Now here's the question?
Is $30.00 + 6.72 for shipping an outrageous amount to pay for an equipment manual, or is it the going rate?

I recieved the manual about a week later, and within two hours of recieving the manual - my decrepit "30 year old spinning patio tables" were working perfect. I had film running from the platters to the projector and back with no problems at all.

It was worth the money to get this thing up and running, and I will pay it with no questions, but is that amount of money a fair price to pay?

|  IP: Logged

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-11-2000 08:34 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That price is about right. I've had to pay alot sometimes for manuals myself---up to $50 for 16mm equipment manuals. Several years ago, I bought some Christie platter manuals and was charged $25 plus shipping. ORC used to charge alot for their manuals, too.

If you're looking for a new dealer, I've always had good luck with Scott Hicks' AMERICAN CINEMA EQUIPMENT in Portland, Oregon. Visit them at www.cinequip.com

Pat Moore
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-11-2000 09:15 AM      Profile for Pat Moore   Email Pat Moore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Manuals are usually outrageously priced. We don't charge for manuals here at Strong, even though we should -- our "library" takes up about 1000 sq ft and that's not enough room as it is. Amazingly expensive trying to keep this stuff up to date and to support equipment in the field that goes back 40-50 years and longer.
Film-Tech remains a great place for manuals and one Strong will support -- better to distribute information this way for all concerned.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 07-11-2000 09:54 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I also feel $30 is not *too* much, especially for a 30 year old document. I do documentation and configuration control at my daytime job. (Sadly, the few full-time projectionist jobs left around here don't pay very well.) There are 'real' costs in writing, printing, archiving and retriving manuals.

However, $30 is enough for the dealer and orginal manufacturer to make a reasonable profit. And it's the dealer's job to support the company's products. So that dealer should not be complaining about selling a AW-1 manual.

I agree with you; find another dealer. If the guy acts like that for a simple manual, imagine what he would do if faced with real support problems.

Dave Bird
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-11-2000 10:26 AM      Profile for Dave Bird   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Bird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've just had a similar experience Barry. I'm looking for some lamps, and want to run as big as I can Single-phase (3K). Now, I'm no expert for theatre equipment, but my "real" job requires that I buy equipment all the time, often stuff that I know very little about initially, so I'm used to researching it. The 22-year old "vice-president" of this firm says, "Oh, well, we looked into it for you, but you can't run 3K on single-phase, it's just not possible." I'm thinking, is that so? (Or is it that they have hundreds, maybe thousands of Super-Lumex decommissioned from chain theatres sitting there literally bailed like hay!?)Well, since I'm already there, I say I'd like some Simplex oil (cuz I think I put some soundhead oil in one of my XL's, and want to change it), so he comes back and with a can of Prevost oil saying all oil is,
"6 in one, half dozen in the other." So I bought it, but with so many "red flags" screaming at me, thankfully I checked with Gordon, who warned me the oil was too heavy.
I too, will be looking elsewhere. Too bad, they were very convenient to my home. Attitudes like this may be either the cause or the symptom of bad presentation, I'm not sure. Thankfully, there is a place like Film-Tech and all you folks on it who care about quality. You're right not to deal with 'em Barry, it's just like a bad employee, poison to your business.

------------------
Dave Bird

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 07-11-2000 12:36 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is funny. Not your plight, Barry, but I know who you talked to. Try working for someone with that attitude... that's why I quit there. He's p.o'd so many customers over the last few years, that it's going to come back and bite him one day, when that big Sumner Redstone account goes away.

BTW, you paid a fair price for the manual. We're a dealer at ASC, if you need anything else, give our parts department a call at 214 265-9303 ext. 822.

Dave, if you're still interested in my Super Lume...

------------------
Better Projection Pays!

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-11-2000 06:38 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ahhhhh, You guys mean the place that builds refrigerator sized automations. I've been there too and had a real good laugh. So you worked for him ha Tim?
The real funny thing here is that he just re-equipped the drive inn up in Valpariso, Indiana. I guess when you can score big margins you will even do something you don't like....or supposedly don't like to do. Someone at Redstone should really wake up to this guys shinanagians!
Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: