Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Help in repairing ORC rectifer

Author Topic: Help in repairing ORC rectifer
Luther M. Spencer
Film Handler

- posted 07-05-2000 11:14 AM      Profile for Luther M. Spencer   Email Luther M. Spencer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello...I hope some one can help me...I have an Orc 1600 watt rectifer..that I have been working on,,,I finialy found the trouble...You couldn't control the Amperage....when you turned on the Lamp it pegged the amp meter...and wouldn't drop back..and the Pot control wouln't do anything....I first checked the Pot. It was within tolerance...100 ohms....I then figured it must be in the regulator transistor stack....9 hight current 2N4276's/NTE 27's in a row,,on a very large heat sink....controled by the pot.I took the regulator stack from a working Powewr supply and it cured the problem,,,,I then desoldered the transistors and checked each one ..One at a time..they were all shorted out....my problem is,,,I found the transistors from a local electronics house and theywere $37.00 each..times nine....That'over $300 for the stack...Does anyone know a cheaper source...Maybe a surplus house....Please help..Maybe some one has an old unit with the transistor stack..or maybe the transistors....again 2N4276 or ECG27 or NTE27....Thanks...MIKE

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 07-05-2000 11:20 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The cost and availablity problems of that particular ORC rectifier are one of the reasons why there are so many of them for sale cheap

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-05-2000 08:30 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Try Mouser Electronics at www.mouser.com and ask for the catalog.

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 07-06-2000 03:19 AM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

Well, If all else fails,
you could replace the whole stack with
cheap 2n3055's or MJ2955's(PNP)
that way you'd replace the whole stack for
$18

Sorry,

Josh

"Show me a mouse, and I'll show you a cat with bad breath" Garfield

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 07-06-2000 03:44 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The regulator circuit and load sharing will not handle the inrush of ignition except with the original germanium stack
been there tried that

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 07-06-2000 11:50 PM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gordon,

couldn't you add 2 or 3 more transistors to
lessen the inrush current through each device? If you have space, that would be an option in my book.

Josh

Luther M. Spencer
Film Handler

- posted 07-07-2000 11:57 AM      Profile for Luther M. Spencer   Email Luther M. Spencer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks ....I guess I will reside myself to the higher priced Units...Mike

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: