Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Super 80's and the Continuing Saga of a Beginner

Author Topic: Super 80's and the Continuing Saga of a Beginner
Dave Bird
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-03-2000 08:51 PM      Profile for Dave Bird   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Bird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mostly some electrical queries:
The power to the back of a Simplex XL (I'm assuming for threading lamps etc.) runs through a small transformer Freed XMFR. Is this fed by standard 120? Also, the changeovers - SA5's, I keep reading about a "pulse" service, not constant. It appears to have just run to standard 120 also. Which components can be run on same circuit and at how many amps - SOUNDHEAD, PROJECTOR, EXCITER LAMP SUPPLY?

I heard nothing but good things about the Super Lumex lamphouse. I wonder, what is your opinion on the Super 80's? I like the ability to run at the high-end of single phase 3K for now with the option to crank it up to a more standard 4K or 4200 for outdoors later. Is this a nice efficient lamp also, what others can you suggest? And what about running 20 min. changeovers on Xenon. Does this age the bulbs prematurely, turning them off and on like this?

Thank you, I have so many questions, so I tried to package them up and not bug you all so often. Thanks.

------------------
Dave Bird

|  IP: Logged

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 07-03-2000 09:12 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know all that much about X-Ls, but the power to the projector head is almost certainly for the threading lamp. It's safe to assume that this is 120VAC if the machine came from an installation in the US. Century projectors just have one bulb for the threading lamp and that doesn't require a transformer...

OK, as for the changeovers, you'll want to download the wiring diagrams from the manuals section. With "Zipper" changeovers (I don't know what the "SA5" is), there are three wires. One of them is "common"; if you connect the common wire with one of the others, the changeover closes; if you connect the common wire in a circuit with the other wire, the changeover opens. The wires are color coded, which is why you need the wiring diagram. Usually, the picture changeover is connected to a foot pedal. You wire these so that the pedal next to a given machine will open its changeover while simultaneously closing the other machine's changeover. Zippers require a special slow-blow fuse, BTW. And, yes, you don't want to power the changeover coil for more than a few seconds; otherwise, you'll burn out the coil.

It's important to keep the sound system on a separate circuit from the projector motors. The exciter supply is usually wired to the same circuit as the rest of the sound system, but it's probably preferable to have that on its own circuit, too.

When running small reels with xenon, it's generally best to leave both lamps lit. I was told that each time you strike a xenon lamp, you lose about an hours' worth of its life. Thus, it would make sense to not turn off the lamp if you'll be re-striking it within an hour. With 6000' reels, I usually turn off the lamp on the idle machine to keep the booth from getting too hot.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-04-2000 02:54 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
F.Y.I. What Scott specifically means in reference to leaving the xenons on and "closing the douser" is the manual hand douser on the lamphouse, NOT solely the electric one (aka: "Zipper"). As one reel comes to an end (last minute), THEN open the manual lamphouse douser and let the electric one handle the changeover. Once the changeover has been accomplished, go close the manual lamphouse douser on the other machine.

Just wanted to clarify so no one will melt a plate.

Pat Moore
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-04-2000 06:32 AM      Profile for Pat Moore   Email Pat Moore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave;
All the above is good info, here's my two cents worth, though. The power to framing lamps in an XL is 120VAC to a transformer; the bulbs are 12V. Changeover is 120V as described. It's normally okay to have the motor and changeover on one 15A circuit; conventional wisdom says the exciter supply should be on another circuit if possible.
I like the Super 80, very good 3kw lamp and a solid 15-inch reflector design. The major need for 4kw operation is cooling -- pull all the air you can out of the 8-inch stack. 200cfm is sufficient for 3kw, but if you're in a 4kw range I'd like to see at least 300cfm. You'll hear air whistling throguh every hole in the lamphouse but the lamp and reflector will last.
For lamp life, the old rule of thumb was that each ignition cost 20 minutes of bulb life. I don't know if that still holds true. For 20-minute reels, IF you have good cooling, leave the lamps on with the manual dowsers closed as described. For hour-long reels, re-ignite for the changeovers.

Dave Bird
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-04-2000 08:14 AM      Profile for Dave Bird   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Bird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The changeovers are the old Simplex - Essanay SA5, probably quite common. Yes, I have the diagram. I guess you mean that the foot pedal should not be held down for longer than necessary, other than that, hook it up to straight 120? What should I expect to pay for a Super80 (or equivalent) lamphouse/ power supply?

------------------
Dave Bird

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 07-04-2000 09:00 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Essany is the most popular changeover until recently SA-5 specifieys it is for a XL
It must only recieve a pulse of 120vac to open or close it a long pulse or maintained contact and the coil will burn up
The super 80 is a great lamp but if exhausting is a problem go with the ULTRA 80 with the large blower
Some of the black xl's used 6 volt framing lamps

Pat Moore
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-05-2000 06:41 AM      Profile for Pat Moore   Email Pat Moore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oops -- I boo-boo'd on my previous post, those framing lamps in Simplex 35's are 6V as well. Sorry about that...

Pat

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: