Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Raiders renamed

Author Topic: Raiders renamed
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-01-2000 02:31 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This may be old news but I just noticed it.

Saw an advertisement for a new video release of "Raiders of the Lost Ark" but now, instead of being packaged as RAIDERS of the Lost Ark, it's now INDIANA JONES and the Raiders of the Lost Ark.

How stupid do they think people are??

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-01-2000 02:37 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I noticed this long ago. It's not people who are stupid, it's the studios (although people can be pretty stupid).

Speaking of Raiders, they are going to put on a free showing of it at Fiddler's Green here in Colorado soon. It's an ampitheater, and they are advertising that and Top Gun in DOLBY DIGITAL! Yeah right.

Greg Anderson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-01-2000 10:51 PM      Profile for Greg Anderson   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah... I never saw Passenger 57 because I just couldn't rent Passenger 56 or any of the other 55 Passenger movies... and I just knew that the new movie would confuse me if I hadn't seen the others first.

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-02-2000 02:11 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Concerning TOP GUN in Dolby Digital: that could actually be true. It was remixed in Dolby Digital for DVD a couple of years ago (I bought it when it came out), so a new print could very well have a Dolby Digital soundtrack. I'd love to see that movie on the big screen.

Evans http://home.hiwaay.net/~criswell/theatre/

Ari Nordström
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-03-2000 01:13 AM      Profile for Ari Nordström   Email Ari Nordström   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, wasn't the "Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark" title (and ad) a fake? I seem to remember that there was talk about a Raiders DVD release with that name, but it turned out that there wouldn't be a DVD release after all.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 07-03-2000 01:25 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The dvd story indeed turned out to be fake. ...the title though has definately been changed for the new videos. I guess they think younger people may not know of 'Raiders' but will surely have heard of Indiana Jones.

Go figure.

Another thing about the video, the cover says it has newly digitalised effects. The only thing I could think of would be when they open the ark and the spirits fly around. For 1981, these were pretty good, but today...well...I don't think it needs updating, however. It was made in 1981 and it should remain that way. Please, Steven, don't butcher Raiders like George butchered the Star Wars trilogy.

Bring on the re-release for the 20th anniversary, Mr. Spielberg...

Dave Cutler
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-03-2000 03:39 PM      Profile for Dave Cutler   Email Dave Cutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
FYI,

Anyone in the Kansas City area who would like to see 'Raiders' on the big screen, has only to wait until late July.

Science City @ Union Station will be showing 'Raiders' on its 5.5 story screen (Used for the 3D-15/70 system). Don't be fooled though, the image will only be about 60 feet wide, but still not bad. That puts it somewhere between 25 and 30 feet tall. Don't know about the sound yet though.

If you are in town, come check it out.

------------------
Dave Cutler

"Do or do not, there is no try."

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 07-07-2000 02:11 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...in 70mm, Dave?

Dave Cutler
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-07-2000 04:59 PM      Profile for Dave Cutler   Email Dave Cutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wish, but I don't have a 70mm soundsystem yet. I am trying to get the "money people" to buy me a DTS system with 35mm and 70mm readers. But no luck so far. Right now all I have is a CP-500, and and empty Mag Penthouse. Anyone know where to find good reasonibly priced 6 and 4 track mag heads for a simplex penthouse?

------------------
Dave Cutler

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: