Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Favourite trailers... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Favourite trailers...
John Wilson
Film God

- posted 06-30-2000 05:42 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Remember when trailers weren't the slick, loud and visually asaulting things they are today? A lot of folks remember fondly the old 30's and 40's style trailers with the flip cards saying things like 'She was from the wrong side of the tracks...(flip) and he was just the man for her...' etc.

Personally, I like the trailers from the 70's. Things like 'The Towering Inferno' and 'Monty Python and the Holy Grail' where they had auditions for the voice over and kept rejecting (and rewinding) the film until they found the perfect announcer...who spoke Japanese! The trailer was in Japanese with english subtitles! At the end there was a bit where it said: 'After the movie, why not come and have dinner with your friends' and showed a scene of a Japanese restaurant...very funny.

Other favourites: Smokey and the Bandit, Grease (original), Xanadu, Time Bandits, The Spy Who Loved Me, Star Wars.

Of recent times, only the scope 'Titanic' comes close.

Anyone else got a favourite or one they simply HATE (like MI2 or Gone In 60 Seconds)?

|  IP: Logged

Paul Goulet
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-30-2000 12:03 PM      Profile for Paul Goulet   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Goulet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

Favorite trailer... It has to be the Trailer for 102 DALMATIANS!

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-30-2000 02:28 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Definately the long 70mm version of The Blues Brothers trailer. Many outtakes were used in the trailer that were cut from the film.
Mark

Dwayne Caldwell
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-30-2000 03:29 PM      Profile for Dwayne Caldwell   Email Dwayne Caldwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I liked the Clerks trailer. I didn't even know there was one until I watched the laserdisk. Jesus' Son has to be the worst trailer I've ever seen.

------------------
The man with the magic hands.

Travis Cape
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-30-2000 03:34 PM      Profile for Travis Cape   Email Travis Cape   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mine would have to be the "Saturday Night Fever" trailer with the advertisement for the hit soundtrack. Complete with hot pink titles flying at you and the double album displayed in the background. A close second is "Barbarella".

Ari Nordström
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-30-2000 03:49 PM      Profile for Ari Nordström   Email Ari Nordström   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The "Little Shop of Horrors" trailer was wonderful. I couldn't get enough of it even though I ran it at a single-screen cinema six days a week and hated the vast majority of the trailers I had to run.

Mark Ogden
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-30-2000 05:47 PM      Profile for Mark Ogden   Email Mark Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite trailer? Gotta be the "Thank You for Not Smoking" spoof trailer from "Robocop 2". I about fell off my stool when I first saw it, and it always got a great laugh from the house. After the film itself had come and gone, I chopped the title off it and kept it running as a policy clip until it finally fell apart. If I had had Film Guard back then, it would probably still be running!

Tom Ferreira
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-01-2000 06:56 AM      Profile for Tom Ferreira   Email Tom Ferreira   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was always partial to the trailer for UHF. Why this movie wasn't a bigger hit, I'll never know. Last year before the opening night show of Star Wars, I ran my classic trailer reel-UHF got by far the biggest response. I also like the Roger Rabbit trailer-it also had scenes that weren't in the film.
I agree that trailers are abrasive now. The trailer for Gone In Sixty Seconds made me hate that film with a passion long before it came out. It's the MTV mentality-Short Attention Span Theater.
The first trailer for The Brady Bunch Movie also worked really well, I thought.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 07-01-2000 08:08 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I sort of had a theory that- the better the trailer, the worse the movie. I know this is going back aways, but the "Jaws 2" trailer was really exciting and scary- and the actual film was poor. Same thing with "The Shining." Of course, there are exceptions, but now whenever I see a really good trailer, I start thinking, "Uh-oh..."

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-01-2000 12:53 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Among fairly recent trailers I liked "Twister." It told the story even though 3/4 of it was total blackness.

A cool classic for me was George Burns's original "Oh God" trailer. The whole thing was a blank screen with just Burns talking. "The movie's called 'Oh God,' and it's really good. See it...you'll thank me for it."

I also liked the teaser for the last re-release of "Star Wars." Comparing the theatre screen to the TV set was great, especially the announcer saying "you've only seen it this way....[sneering] on a TV screen." The tone of voice there was great.

Ethan Harper
E-dawggg!!!

- posted 07-01-2000 02:09 PM      Profile for Ethan Harper   Email Ethan Harper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
--"Yes I am my own Grandpa..."--
--The STuPiDs teaser

------------------
--"That's my story and i'm sticking to it!"--

Michael Barry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-03-2000 12:35 PM      Profile for Michael Barry   Email Michael Barry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps the best trailer that I've run was the one for the French movie 'When the Cat's Away'. There is a remake in progress which will star Heather Graham.

Anyhoo, the narrator is constantly berated and undermined by the cast of the film (all in character, in footage shot especially for the trailer). For example, the narrator says, 'a new film from Cedric Klapisch', and the lead actress looks quizzically into the camera and says 'who?'. He repeats himself, but clearly she's never heard of him. Also, the crabby neighbour that lives next door to the girl interrupts the narrator altogether at one point and dresses him
down.

'What are you doing?', she demands.
'I'm inciting people to see the film', he replies.
'Well, don't incite! What you're saying is total rubbish! People don't
need to be told what the film's about. Let them see for themselves.
Merde.'

There's more, but it's been a while since I've seen it. I hope they include it on the DVD release of the film. That is to say, I hope the film makes it to DVD...it's great.

I also remember seeing a 16MM print of a trailer for a 70's film called 'Fire Sale' that was extremely funny. Apparently the film is not so good, but the trailer had some great one-liners and situations in it (again, especially shot for the trailer).

The producer is interviewed and is asked why he chose Alan Arkin to direct, since he's never directed before.

'Couldn't get anyone else' comes his deadpan reply.

He asks some of the other crew members why Alan Arkin has been compared to directors like Bergman and Fellini.

'Because no-one can understand what language he's speaking' is one response.

'He's roughly the same height as Bergman'.

'More like Fettucini than Fellini' was my favourite.

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 07-03-2000 02:14 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The trailer for 'Escape from L.A.' that mimics a policy trailer is rather cute, especially the giggles and gasps that you hear when the "NO RED MEAT" part comes up on the screen

One of the FUNNIEST trailers i have EVER seen was the red band version of the trailer for 'The Tall Guy'...

Aaron

Dave Bird
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-03-2000 08:58 PM      Profile for Dave Bird   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Bird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"He uses speed to get himself up.....to get himself - gone." Just saw VANISHING POINT. Of course any trailer of this one was all car chase. Great trailer for this cool mindless, endless car chase 70's classic, which I love. I saw Smokey & The Bandit up there. Had to be some great McQueen trailers. ???

------------------
Dave Bird

Barron Dripp
Film Handler

- posted 07-04-2000 07:55 AM      Profile for Barron Dripp   Email Barron Dripp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My fav trailer of all time had to be for Alien. It told the story of the movie and didn't have to go into the actual FX from the movie to do it, like more recent trailers...actually the trailers for Aliens was also the same idea and was very effective.
A trailer I totally despise is the trailer for Dinosaur. I never did get to see the movie, but the original trailer (I think it was on Bicentennial man that i first saw it) was what, 10 minutes long?! Way to long for a trailer and it really did make the film look boring.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: