Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Peavey Processors

Author Topic: Peavey Processors
Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-28-2000 06:39 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have a client locally that has a plex full of Peavey processors,CACP-600 I think. They are experiencing a multitude of problems with them. Mainly non controllable faders, and when running DTS they will randomly break up into an oscillation that sounds like pink noise. Shutting the processor down and powering back up fixes it....till next time and again its at random.
Has anyone done much work with these?? They have asked us for a quote to replace all of them with Dolbys and I am definately in favor of that but I may still have to deal with these problems for a while. I was told today that Peavey shut down the Cinema Acoustics division about 6 months ago. Peavey did not return my phione call today about these either. I'm sure glad we did not sell them! Are parts and software still available or should these be junked?
Thanks in advance for any info or leads on info for these.
Mark

|  IP: Logged

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 06-28-2000 09:10 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
P-V..

I still cannot disassociate that name from ratty-sounding garage bands.

------------------
Better Projection Pays!

Dave Cutler
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-29-2000 09:12 AM      Profile for Dave Cutler   Email Dave Cutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I heard about a similar problem with the Dolby Digital EX processors when they first came out. They were using the home Pro-Logic chips and had forgotten to disable the "test" mode, so the system would randomly switch into "test" mode. Guests would come out of a house and complain about static coming out of the surrounds during "Star Wars: EP1." It was kinda funny I thought.

------------------
Dave Cutler

"Do or do not, there is no try."

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-29-2000 10:00 AM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Peavey??? Is this the same Meridian, Mississippi "Peavey".
I have continuously used Peavey power amps in the pro-audio field for the last 16 years. One thing about Peavey Amps.... you can throw them out the back of a truck, pick'em up, plug'em in ...and they work... every time. They weigh a freakin' ton, but their amps are solid and dependable.
(Have no fear... I don't frequently toss my CS-1200's out the back of the truck)

I didn't know they made cinema processors.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-29-2000 11:37 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thats the whole problem Barry. Peavey folded the entire division about 6 months ago. There appears to be no support from them anymore and they do not return any phone calls either. Great company ha? Every Peavey product I've encountered in a theater in the last 10 years has failed multiple times.
Mark

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 06-29-2000 12:35 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
>>their amps are solid and dependable.

No argument there, but try hooking one of the band amps up to an analyzer! (not the cinema amps, they're actually half-decent)

------------------
Better Projection Pays!

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 06-30-2000 11:36 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually the place they work the best is in large format special venue
I usually get real Peeved with the cinemaccoustic products like the RJ45 monitor connectors
Also the new amps input terminals are a pain in the butt

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: