Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Managers in the Booth!?! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Author Topic: Managers in the Booth!?!
Dave Cutler
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-26-2000 03:29 PM      Profile for Dave Cutler   Email Dave Cutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was curious to find out if anyone else had to put up with training managers in their booths? Actually training managers isn't my problem, it's when one of them is put up in my booth and I HAVEN'T trained them.

This recently happened to me (if you hadn't guessed) and now I have 11 scratched prints. That's 11 out of 24 screens that now look like crap!! I just can't get over 11 scratched prints.

I talked to the Managing Director and was told that since this manager had been to the AMC approved booth school that they would be able to run a booth. For those that haven't worked for AMC, the AMC booth school for managers isn't even about threading a running projectors mostly. It teaches them how to communicate with projectionists (oh wait that's a bad word at AMC, Booth Ushers) when there is something wrong. Now that's all fine and dandy (actually I like that alot), but they need proper training to run the booth and you can't learn that at a company wide training, every booth is different. You can learn the basics that way, but should learn your theatres specifics from it's Booth Manager.

OK, well now that I have vented. Does anyone else have to deal with this? Let me know.

Also this poses a question I have wondered about. Which theatre companies are the best to work for? i.e. Who treats projectionists the best? I work for AMC, but would love to get back with Dickinson Theatres (smaller midwest chain). I have also worked for United Artists in Coloado and Michigan, that was OK, but still we weren't considered projectionists, really.

Sorry about the book long topic.

------------------
Dave Cutler
15/70 projectionist &
Booth Manager at a 24-plex
Kansas City, MO

"Do or do not, there is no try."

|  IP: Logged

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-26-2000 09:18 PM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, my manager runs the booth on days I'm off and I usually have to fix a few of his mistakes (make-ups especially). Now in his defense, he is pretty good, BUT he certainly is not the "Film God" he thinks he is. We disagree about some things, but we mostly respect each other's work. I can get away with a lot of things that others can't because I have more senoirity than him and he usually listens to my suggestions. I guess I'm lucky he DOES care about the film, equipment, and other things. I know some of you other guys have it a lot worse.

Michael Cunningham
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-26-2000 11:35 PM      Profile for Michael Cunningham   Email Michael Cunningham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I too have managers in my booth. The entire company requires this, hell I have to call myself a manager now just to stay in the booth! Luckily, all the managers who work my booth are personally trained by me first. I have a very technically oriented General Manager who is big on good presentation.

-Mike

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 06-26-2000 11:43 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All I can tell you is to sort of stand back and watch the fireworks. Yeah, a lot of film is going to get damaged but that's the only way, sometimes.

If you're always stepping in and fixing his screw ups HE won't get credit for them and YOU won't get credit for fixing them. It'll just look like he doesn't make mistakes becasue you keep saving his ass.

Next time he brainwraps a projector let him come and ask YOU for help. That'll humble his sorry ass. (He won't admit it but he'll know.) If you confront him, he'll just get defensive and try to make YOU the bad guy.

When it comes down to it, people will (evenually) notice that when you run the booth EVERYTHING runs perfectly and NO film gets F***ed up on your watch.

Bryan Fournier
Film Handler

- posted 06-27-2000 09:21 PM      Profile for Bryan Fournier   Email Bryan Fournier   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From a 6 month formal apprenticeship before you could even project film in a "real life" situation, when I started TO a 3 day - 1 week booth school. Where did we go wrong?

Neil Hunter
Film Handler

- posted 10-24-2001 03:27 PM      Profile for Neil Hunter   Email Neil Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hate it when mamagers try to run the booth. Here's my story:

A few months I got called in on an opening shift to my 16 screen multiplex when the opening projectionist called in sick at the last minute. The booth manager at the time(a 20 year old chick who thought she was hot stuff) decided that she was going to thread all 16 and start the whole first set instead of waiting for me to get there. Her threading skills are less than up to par, and it showed on this day. She started movies out of frame, and not knowing how to use a framing knob, let them play this way. Right after I got there, she came to me and quite frantically said that #5 had stopped. It had barely made it through the first Tech. ad before it had completely shut down. I did a once over on it, and realized that she had threaded the last roller before the film goes to the take up platter on our SPECO platters around the keeper roller! I started laughing out loud, fixed the problem in a matter of seconds, and restarted. She has since been ddemoted from booth manager.

James R. Hammonds, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-24-2001 08:02 PM      Profile for James R. Hammonds, Jr   Email James R. Hammonds, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I work for AMC and have never heard of this "booth school."

Is it just an booth orientation class that is part of the management based training?

Don Sneed
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-25-2001 02:14 AM      Profile for Don Sneed   Author's Homepage   Email Don Sneed   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I was with Projectionist Local Union 279 in Houston, the manager and theater owners would never walk into the booth, I had a owner talk to me from outside the booth door, I told him to come in but he refuse, said the union told him no owner or managers in the booth at anytime.....whoooaaa weeee those were the days, but after 6,8 screens theaters started to comeing around, things changed, manager/operator was a common thing.....but I remember the old timers (projectionist) did not like that, I said...Hey this is the 80's it's time we change before we are all out of the booth.....well we were, the union didn't what to give in !!

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-25-2001 03:35 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it would be a bit absurd that an owner couldn't walk into his own booth. What moron made up that rule? Oh well, I'm sure that individual is long dead and decomposing right now. I'm also sure no one misses him.

With all of the power that the union had, they should have conquered the world while they had the chance. Well, they did purchase the rights to the word "projectionist". It most theaters it is illegal for anyone to even mention that word. God forbid.

Don Sneed
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-25-2001 03:42 AM      Profile for Don Sneed   Author's Homepage   Email Don Sneed   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yea, Joe, I totally agree, If I owned the theatre & even sign a contract, that my equipment, I'm paying the notes, I'll go start the damn thing if I wanted too !! But back in the 60's, 70', & early 80's, that wasn't the case at some theatres, I had it happen twice at different theatres where I work the swing shifts, I always felt it's your theatre, you sign my check, You can eat some of those chickens I'm cooking in the lamphouse, if you want !!! But yes it did happen, at one time the Houston local was as strong as New York, & Chicago...

Frank Rapisardi
Film Handler

- posted 10-25-2001 06:57 AM      Profile for Frank Rapisardi   Email Frank Rapisardi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I started many years ago;the operator(projectionist) was in charge of the booth.He or she (mostly he) even had the right to exclude whomever he wanted from the booth(including managers). As far as training I sat and just watched.Then after weeks was allowed to rewind film reels.Then learned how to operate the projection equipment.Boy have times changed!

------------------

Kristin Wahlund
Film Handler

- posted 10-25-2001 03:30 PM      Profile for Kristin Wahlund   Email Kristin Wahlund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At Marcus Theatres, I was in the both doing my job (Head Projectionist/Booth manager) ect, and our city manager shows up with some new guy the guy, who later becomes our GM, asks me why do you use yellow splicing tape? And other various dumb questions, so I made a book on how to be a projectioist at our theatre. He used it a lot. When I quit because he is a jerk, I took it with me. He had lots of problems.

Rachel Gilardi
Madam Moderator

- posted 10-25-2001 04:02 PM      Profile for Rachel Gilardi   Email Rachel Gilardi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yellow splicing tape???

NO!!!!!

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-25-2001 04:21 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Uh, oh. Yellow splicing tape??? Kristin you better run!

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-25-2001 06:02 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I prefer the white splicing tape with the four dots on it. The kind you can't peel off without leaving horrible residue. That stuff kicks ass.

Quality sucks! J/K

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: