Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » New theater going up... jobs?

Author Topic: New theater going up... jobs?
Brett Rankin
Film Handler

- posted 06-25-2000 09:42 PM      Profile for Brett Rankin   Email Brett Rankin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

There is a new Krikorian theater currently under construction only a few miles from my house. I'll be 17 when it opens, and I wanted to know if you theater-types would hire a teenager with limited film experience straight into a booth position? Or would I be laughed at if I put anything above "usher" on my application? Just curious as to what I should do...

-Brett

|  IP: Logged

Scott D. Neff
Theatre Dork

- posted 06-25-2000 10:17 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Author's Homepage   Email Scott D. Neff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think in most theatres, chain or independent, you'd be hired as regular floor staff.

THEN - depending on the management's need for projection staff, you might get promoted.

It is definitely a good idea to indicate that you are interested in working with the projectors. That way they'll keep you in mind if other things down turn out for them.

ALSO - I don't know Krikorian's practices - whether they even employ separate projectionists, and if so, they may be Union.

BTW - What city is this theatre opening in?

------------------
Scott D. Neff
----------------
www.cinema-west.com

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-25-2000 10:57 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Brett,

Try posting a help thread here with your city/state. Perhaps there is a Film-Techer who would allow you to come into their booth for a couple of nights to show you the basics in a multiplex. That would certainly help in getting the job. It never hurts to ask. Just try and get in through a back door. Never just walk up and ask for an application. You will just be a number at that point.

Brett Rankin
Film Handler

- posted 06-26-2000 12:40 AM      Profile for Brett Rankin   Email Brett Rankin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott,

The theater is going up in Monrovia, CA, which is near Pasadena.

Is there anyone out there who works at a theater or knows of someone in the area? I did talk to one person who, it turns out, knows the manager of the Pacific theater (which is even closer). Never heard from him again, though.

Brett

PS: Around thursday I'll be leaving town and won't have access to my email until SEPTEMBER. Just so you know.

Dave Cutler
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-26-2000 01:20 PM      Profile for Dave Cutler   Email Dave Cutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brett,

I don't know how Krikorian does things, but when I have opened a theatre I would atleast interviewed anyone with experience in projection. I can usually get some one up to speed before the complex even opens so it didn't make a whole lot of difference. It is ALWAYS worth a shot in my book to try. If nothing else they will start you out on the floor, but keep an eye on you and consider you for quick promotion.

I was once in the position you are in, wanting to continue projection work, but wanting or having to change theatres. So I tend to look out for people like that. Someone had to give me a shot so I try to look out for others too.

Good luck!

------------------
Dave Cutler
15/70 projectionist &
Booth Manager at a 24-plex
Kansas City, MO

"Do or do not, there is no try."

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-26-2000 02:25 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
TIP, in case you don't get a booth position and take a floor position to work your way up, the thought process "I'll just do a crappy job down here so they will put me upstairs" does NOT work. Work extra hard and show the management you are serious about making a career out of this and you will make your way upstairs a lot faster.

Dave Cutler
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-26-2000 02:37 PM      Profile for Dave Cutler   Email Dave Cutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great advice from Brad. I don't know how many kids come up to me and ask if I will train them in booth, when all they ever do is slack off.

The first thing I do is watch them work on the floor on a weekday (when things are slower). I check to see if they are finding things to do or just hanging around while nothing gets done. If they show good work ethic and get things done they are more likely to get what they want. If I have a spot open that is.

------------------
Dave Cutler
15/70 projectionist &
Booth Manager at a 24-plex
Kansas City, MO

"Do or do not, there is no try."

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-13-2000 11:39 PM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I busted my @$$ on floorstaff for about a year (never complaining, even cleaned up vomit once!) before being able to do a few booth shifts when one of the regular projectionists took a vacation, 8 years later I put in my notice and have to train some people who've only been there a few weeks!
I remember I was in the lobby one time and some kid was leaving a movie *during the end credits* (BIG no-no in my book!) and asked me how he could get a job at the theater! Since I was on duty and in uniform I just gave him an application and said I didn't know when they'd be hiring, but I would've LIKED to have said "What the hell do you wanna work here for? Go back to flipping burgers!"

Zach McQuaid
Film Handler

- posted 09-13-2000 11:50 PM      Profile for Zach McQuaid   Email Zach McQuaid   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To work in a projection booth you MUST be at LEAST 18 years of age...at least in any Commonwealth State such as Pennsylvania. Here, you even need to apply to the State for an Apprentice License, then take the written exam administered by high-up State officials.

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-13-2000 11:51 PM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just show the theatre that you are interested and learn as much as you can about how projectors work in is probably different in a bigger theatre but in the 3 screen I used to work for I put down on my application that I was interested in projection and new how the projectors run so one day my manager was on the phone and said that the movie in #2 was all threaded to go start it after that he showed me everything ( I had been there 3 days) so take that floor job

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: