Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Wayne's World 2 THX tag

Author Topic: Wayne's World 2 THX tag
John Wilson
Film God

- posted 06-25-2000 06:30 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just found this over on ebay up for auction...

>>35mm THX tag for the promotion of Waynes World 2, this is very cool and funny, and very rare trailer as well.<<

What was this one all about? I've never heard of it before. Anyone know?

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-25-2000 06:54 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
It promoted the release of Wayne's World 2. Basically, the trailer starts off with the familiar THX logo and "blue box" and then glitter starts to interfere with the picture as the camera pulls back to reveal Wayne and Garth acting in their typical mannerisms. They make a quick pitch for everyone to go see the movie and then Wayne picks up an electric guitar and starts playing. This is the really impressive part. Once he strikes a chord, he starts aiming the guitar around and the sound actually follows his aim around the sides of the auditorium. While this may not seem very impressive by today's standards, remember this trailer was made in Dolby A with MONO SURROUNDS!

Flat and scope versions were made and it was available only to THX certified theaters. As far as showing off a system's sound "quality" went, it wasn't anything special, as the initial THX "deep note" was distorted in the mix. However, the directional guitar at the end made it the most impressive demonstration of analog directionality I can remember.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-25-2000 06:39 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This was available as a regular mono greenband trailer as well. It was the exact same thing except it was in mono and every theatre played it. I had it at my mono theatre before the movie's release and kept the trailer.

They should not have made a mono greenband version.

Greg Anderson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-25-2000 08:32 PM      Profile for Greg Anderson   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember such a THX/Wayne's World trailer associated with the first Wayne's World but I don't recall one for Wayne's World 2. (I don't mean to nit-pick, but can someone confirm that the e-Bay offering is really a trailer for the second movie?)

What I find really amazing is the possibility that this trailer was playing at non-THX theatres. When I saw it, it just happened to be a THX-certified auditorium. Was there any attempt to ensure that this trailer only played in THX houses? If not, then it would be awfully confusing to people who might have thought their local cinema was THX-certified based only on having seen this trailer there.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-25-2000 10:54 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. I thought that was ONLY for THX houses. The letter that came with the print clearly said so. But since Joe's got a mono print, then that just proves that theory wrong. I agree, they should NOT have made greenband/mono prints for regular distribution. That would indeed be confusing.

Joe, I saved mine too. I'll have to run it for you so you can hear the surround panning around.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-26-2000 01:24 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, it was treated as a normal trailer, complete with greenband. Since my theatre (Kipling Place 6) was all mono, I was hoping that it would be a stereo print and I was just listening to it in mono. When I finally moved to the state of the art multi-plex, I played it in Dolby A and it was still very very mono. I then looked at the optical track and it was indeed mono. Damn.

The trailer was definitely for Wayne's World 2. It started out with Wayne going "Hey Garth, you know where this advanced sound technology would be really useful?"
Garth: "Gee I wonder where, Wayne?"
Wayne: "Why in a sequel of course!"

Enter Waynes World song and flashy colored graphics

Wayne strikes chord on his geetar and aims it around the room, as both characters have an amazed look on their faces.

Stephen Brown
Film Handler

- posted 06-26-2000 07:04 AM      Profile for Stephen Brown   Email Stephen Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I distinctly remember playing this trailer in Scope and Stereo in Australia. It came attached to the start of a movie (cant remember what). We were a non-THX house, and I can remember distinctly hearing the guitar swing around the auditorium as Wayne moved it. I'll look back through my journal and see if I can find out exactly what it was attached too...

------------------

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-26-2000 07:07 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Were you first run or second run at the time?

Jason Burroughs
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-26-2000 09:44 AM      Profile for Jason Burroughs   Email Jason Burroughs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad,

If I remember right, the trailer was also included on the Laser Disks that UA played on the monitors in their lobbies at the time. I too thought for an analog sample that the directionality was very impressive, and over all a not TOO bad trailer

Its been a few years, but I don't remember it being a standard trailer, it seems that it was mean to replace the current THX snipe to promote the movie, and did not have a green band, but I could be mistaken on that. I too thought it was ONLY sent to THX theatres on film though.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-26-2000 04:49 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was a first run house at the time.

Stephen Brown
Film Handler

- posted 06-27-2000 06:16 AM      Profile for Stephen Brown   Email Stephen Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad,

We were a first run house. I remeber making the print up and seeing the THX tag on the front....

Regards
Steve Brown

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: