Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Saint Louis Theaters (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Saint Louis Theaters
Jason R. Weinsteiger
Film Handler

- posted 06-24-2000 10:59 PM      Profile for Jason R. Weinsteiger   Author's Homepage   Email Jason R. Weinsteiger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i'll be in Saint Louis next month and was wondering if any of you guys is from the area, or is there any must-see theaters that i could visit while i'm there.

------------------
"That's what life is - a series of down endings. All Jedi had was a bunch of muppets." -Dante Hicks

|  IP: Logged

Nic Margherio
Film Handler

- posted 06-25-2000 11:38 PM      Profile for Nic Margherio   Email Nic Margherio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Visit the Esquire and Tivoli theatres first. Then if you have time, visit the Hi-Pointe and the Creve Coeur 12 (my theatre). The Esquire originally opened in 1939 and has been renovated several times (most recently in 1989) throughout its history. Its not in the greatest shape (it is, after all, run by AMC) but its still a cool place to see a movie in its main audtitorium. The Tivoli is much the same as the Esquire (an old theatre that has been renovated) though smaller - and it is run by Landmark so it has a little bit nicer atmosphere. The Hi-Pointe is a single-screen independant that has a lot of character and friendly service. The Creve Coeur 12 is a new AMC (sister theatre of a 16 down the street) and has the finest booth operation of any theatre in town - personally garunteed. (Though I cannot, of course, garuntee the sound EQ's, which leave something to be desired) If you visit that theatre, I would be more than happy to show you the booth. As for the rest of the teatres in town, they really are nothing special - the other company in town is known as Wherenberg theatres and they really suck. Post again if you make plans to visit any of these theatres.

Dave Cutler
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-27-2000 10:54 AM      Profile for Dave Cutler   Email Dave Cutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nic,

Are you a projectionist or the booth manager at Creve Coeur 12? I run the BarryWoods 24 in Kansas City.

------------------
Dave Cutler

"Do or do not, there is no try."

Nic Margherio
Film Handler

- posted 06-28-2000 09:55 PM      Profile for Nic Margherio   Email Nic Margherio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I am just a projectionist but I have all the responsibilities that the booth manager would have such as making the schedule and overseeing training. We do not even have a dedicated facilities manager so I am pretty much on my own. Say hi to Derrick Nelson for me!

Dave Cutler
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-29-2000 09:19 AM      Profile for Dave Cutler   Email Dave Cutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I will say hi to Derek for you, do you know Brad Lohrum. I think he may be working at the West Olive, but I am not sure.

Officially I am an Operations Coordinator, but I run the booth, so they call me a Booth Coordinator. It's just a title anyways. I handle schd, training, maintenance and repair, and don't have to listen/report to anyone except the GM and MD, I love ignoring op managers and getting away with it. Without a real AMC tech in town, my GM & MD love the fact that they have someone who cares that knows how to fix projectors & sound systems.

"I am just a projectionist," never say that. A projectionist is a wonderful thing to be. Any thing else is just a title.

------------------
Dave Cutler

"Do or do not, there is no try."

Travis Cape
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-29-2000 11:14 PM      Profile for Travis Cape   Email Travis Cape   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jason, Feel free to drop by and see us at the Hi-Pointe. We are the oldest theatre left in town. Currently things are a little chaotic with our upcoming Dolby Digital installation. Nic is right, both the Creve Couer and West Olive have the finest projection in town. The Esquire is still my personal favorite but the quality usually is fairly bad. The main auditorium of the Tivoli is the most beautiful in town seating 451.

Jason R. Weinsteiger
Film Handler

- posted 06-29-2000 11:52 PM      Profile for Jason R. Weinsteiger   Author's Homepage   Email Jason R. Weinsteiger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thanks, guys. i'd like to see em all! but i'm only going to be there 4 days, plus i'll have no mode of transportation! Of course if anyone would like to volunteer to drive me around

i'm there for the Gateway Media Con to see those swell guys from Mystery Science Theater 3000, from July 14-17. Nic, i'll probably hit the Creve Coeur. they're having some sort of midnight show or something just for us, on the 14th i think. So BE THERE. and save me a ticket, there'll be 600 people at the con and you only have 200-some seats

jasoN

------------------
"That's what life is - a series of down endings. All Jedi had was a bunch of muppets." -Dante Hicks

Nic Margherio
Film Handler

- posted 06-30-2000 06:32 PM      Profile for Nic Margherio   Email Nic Margherio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll make an effort to be there, Jason! (BTW, the Esquire and Hi-Pointe are only a couple blocks from each other and the Tivoli is not very far off from them.)

Dave, I know (knew) Brad Lohrum very well, I worked with him at the West Olive for almost a year, though I haven't seen him recently. Yes, my position at Creve Coeur is much the same as yours, though I am not officially an OC (nor do I have any desire to be) I do not answer to anyone directly, save the SM and MD.

Richard C. Wolfe
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-30-2000 11:26 PM      Profile for Richard C. Wolfe   Author's Homepage   Email Richard C. Wolfe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jason:

I haven't seen any of the theatres for real that were mentioned, but I have seen pictures of the Tivoli, and it looks real nice.

However, the theatre that you MUST see is the FOX. Even though it isn't a regular film house anymore, it is still the best theatre in town. A true movie palace. One of the finest remaining in the country. Once you see it, you'll cry thinking about going back to a megaplex (no matter how nice) to see a movie!

Richard C. Wolfe
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-30-2000 11:38 PM      Profile for Richard C. Wolfe   Author's Homepage   Email Richard C. Wolfe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jason:

I have not seen any of the theatres mentioned for real, but have seen pictures of the Tivoli, and it looks very nice.

However, the theatre that you MUST see is the Fox. Although it isn't a regular film house any longer, it is the BEST theatre in town. A true movie palace! Once you see it, you'll cry when you think about seeing movies in a megaplex (no matter how nice). It is one of the finest left in the nation.

If you don't plan on being in St. Louis again any time soon...DON'T miss the Fox on this trip. It will be the highlight of your trip.

Richard C. Wolfe
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-30-2000 11:40 PM      Profile for Richard C. Wolfe   Author's Homepage   Email Richard C. Wolfe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jason:

I have not seen any of the theatres mentioned for real, but have seen pictures of the Tivoli, and it looks very nice.

However, the theatre that you MUST see is the Fox. Although it isn't a regular film house any longer, it is the BEST theatre in town. A true movie palace! Once you see it, you'll cry when you think about seeing movies in a megaplex (no matter how nice). It is one of the finest left in the nation.

If you don't plan on being in St. Louis again any time soon...DON'T miss the Fox on this trip. It will be the highlight of your trip.

Richard C. Wolfe
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-01-2000 12:04 AM      Profile for Richard C. Wolfe   Author's Homepage   Email Richard C. Wolfe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I apologize if I just posted the same message three times, but for some reason, none of them have shown up on my screen. However, I have been told by someone else (Jason) that they are there. Sorry about that folks!

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-01-2000 05:19 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Please remember to never hit the submitton button more than once. Many browsers (like Internet Explorer) "cache" the page and make people think that their post did not go through. It always does, though.

What type of operating system are you using and browser? If you can't see the posts, I'd like to send your computer's information over to the programmers of this software so they can check it out and try to correct it for a future upgrade.

Richard C. Wolfe
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-01-2000 03:21 PM      Profile for Richard C. Wolfe   Author's Homepage   Email Richard C. Wolfe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad:

I'm on aol. This was my 14th post, and the first time that it didn't appear directly after hitting submit. I have that problem when I make my weekly updates to my website info as well. It has taken up to 10 hours for it to appear, yet if I e-mail a friend, they confirm that everything has been changed and looks correct on their screen.

Richard C. Wolfe
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-01-2000 03:24 PM      Profile for Richard C. Wolfe   Author's Homepage   Email Richard C. Wolfe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad:

Just for your info...the previous transmission at 3:21 went right through, and hopefully this one as well.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: