Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » QSC 4 channel amps (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: QSC 4 channel amps
Francis Casey
Film Handler

- posted 06-24-2000 08:43 PM      Profile for Francis Casey   Email Francis Casey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello
Our theatre chain is in the process of constructing 2 new 5-plexes . For sound equipment in each cinema we are going to use the new Dolby CP650 processor a QSC DCM-1 crossover /monitor 2 QSC DCA1644 4ch amps and one QSC DCA 1824 4ch amp ; we are going to squeeze all this into a Strong Super Highlight II console .
My question is ; does anybody have any experience or comments on the QSC components ? It will be my first time installing the DCM-1 and DCA seris amps . Are these components reliable ? Also does anybody any installation experience with the Dolby CP650 ?
Any comments or suggestions would be helpfull .
Thanks

|  IP: Logged

Brian Potts
Film Handler

- posted 06-24-2000 09:08 PM      Profile for Brian Potts   Email Brian Potts   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In March 1996, we installed QSC USA 850 amps, along with a Smart SRS-5 processor, and DTS. I have found the QSC amplifiers to be very reliable. We just keep them clean and they haven't given us any problems. Hope that is at least a little helpful.

Russ Kress
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-25-2000 12:39 AM      Profile for Russ Kress   Author's Homepage   Email Russ Kress   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have not used the Dolby CP-650, but if it's like other Dolby processors, you should be pleased.

As far as QSC goes, I have had one failure (of an older series 1400) out of about a bazillion amplifiers that we use.

I once witnessed a rack of them literally fall off of a truck at a rock show (not pretty) and they all fired right up.

QSC also utilizes those cool "signal present" LEDs that make trouble shooting easier.

It's okay to feel good. Your company is buying good stuff.

Russ

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-25-2000 12:59 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like a good equipment setup, but mounting them in the console is always a bad idea. There's too much heat. Consider a free standing sound rack.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 06-25-2000 05:18 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Never had a problem with QSC amps. Good choice.

Greg Pauley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-25-2000 08:07 AM      Profile for Greg Pauley   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Pauley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been buying QSC amps for the last 10 years and will continue until one breaks! I will assume the CP650 is going to be similar to the CP500 which is one of the easiest processors to install. I agree with Brad, buy yourself a sound rack and isolate the sound from everything else.

John Eickhof
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-25-2000 01:00 PM      Profile for John Eickhof   Author's Homepage   Email John Eickhof   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
QSC is p[robably the most 'bullet-proof' amp out there! I've sold & installed many of them
with very good and dependable results!!
They back their products better than most!
The DCA series is revolutionary in design and
power efficiency! You will be pleased with them! (I still use 25 year old series one and
two amps in several portable systems, they've
been all over and have never given up yet!)

Francis Casey
Film Handler

- posted 06-25-2000 08:09 PM      Profile for Francis Casey   Email Francis Casey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks ALL for your input ; we have had about a dozzen 1400 seris in use at one of our locations for about 12 years now with no problems at all and they sound real good .We have been using Crown CE series on installs for the past couple of years now , and while they seem to work ok they seem to have a high failure rate . For every 10 or so we order i always order a spare ; we usually end up using it within the first month or even the first few minutes ! I'll be glad to get away from them for a while .
While we would normally use a seperate sound rack ; for these 2 installs we are trying to keep the cost to a bare minimum .By putting everything in the console we can save considerably on installation and wiring costs .
Thanks again
Francis

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 06-25-2000 09:04 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The problem with console installations, as I understand things, is that you're putting your sensitive sound equipment right next to your lamp rectifier/xenon ignitor. There must be some provision for isolating the sound equipment from the lamphouse, but I wonder how effective it would be; personally, I've mostly worked with standard pedestal/lamphouse/sound rack setups and never with an all-in-one console, so I don't really know how bad or good such a setup would be.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-25-2000 09:48 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have not had any problems installing high quality sound gear in a projection console. Especially with a Strong switcher you do not have the huge magnetic fields generated as you do with conventional transformer based boat anchor rectifiers. If you follow proper grounding schemes and do a neat wiring job then you will have results as good as you would in a seperate rack. One thing I don't like about the new QSC amps is the use of data type cables for audio signals. While it may speed up installation a bit the cables leave alot to be desired. I always almost use Mogami cable or at the minimum Belden 8451 for wiring all my racks and consoles. Far better results will be had this way. I don't feel that the quick wire and package method of the new QSC's is at all good although the amps are fine.
Mark

Russ Kress
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-25-2000 10:56 PM      Profile for Russ Kress   Author's Homepage   Email Russ Kress   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Using consoles saves on installation costs?

Hell, buy free standing racks and make the manager wire 'em up! (He's salary)

Hey! It works for Greg! <grin>

(Don't fire me!)

Russ

Rory Burke
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-26-2000 01:16 AM      Profile for Rory Burke   Email Rory Burke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The QSC DCM and DCA series products I am sure you will find will more that adequately work for you. Those four channel amps are designed for bi and triamp systems but work quite well for normal applications and save space and money. The entire package will wire up in about twenty minutes. QSC made sure they made their new line of products labor viable. That DCM is capable of some amazinf features. I understand it goes head to head with THX's new crossover/monitor the 1138. Have seen the 1138 so I am not sure.
You can also download the software off their website. Variable time alignment, bi amp, tri amp, studio capability with amazing EQ functions like customizable stackable parametric Eq fuctions name a few. Check out the web site for more info.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 06-30-2000 11:55 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I vote for seperate racks
I have seen rectifiers smoke and take out a very expensive CP200 with it
ALso it allows for more upgradeable system design with freestanding racks
I also dislike the cabling system on the DC amps and crossovers
I use the USA or THe MX serries they are bullet proof

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 06-30-2000 08:27 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I think console sound systems are just plain stupid. I have seen/heard none to change my beliefs in that. A floor or wall rack just is not that much money (for a good one). The flexability in wiring, upgrading and ease of service just can't be beat. And if you really know about grounding, a console just can't compare.

Then again, I'm no fan of consoles period.

Steve

------------------
"Old projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

Rory Burke
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-03-2000 02:58 PM      Profile for Rory Burke   Email Rory Burke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hear you can weld with the power of one of these QCS amps

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: